• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Do you have to go to church to be saved

Do you have to go to church to be saved

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters
I don't believe going to church will save you. Nothing wrong with going to Church. Confessing your sins to God and accepting Jesus as your Savior and having a relationship with Him is what saves you. I haven't regularly attended church in 10 years now. I was Baptist and then Church of God when I attended regularly. I do talk to God, I pray, I ask for direction from Him, I trust Him. I talk to other Christian friends about various things or for prayer in something. I love to go outside and find a peaceful place and talk to Him, thank Him for His creation, thank Him for life, thank Him for the bird I hear singing, thank Him for the flowers that smell good and make me smile. Maybe I am weird...but that is where I feel closest to Him. My husband will take a certain way to work where he stops by a creek and sits and talks to God and seeks Him for advice. That is where He loves to talk to God.

The reason I discovered Talk Jesus was because I am outside the church.
My story is very strange. I was raiseed in the church, and loved going to church. That was where worship happened!
But one day in 2008, I was in church, and my second son, a young teenager, refused to go to Sunday School. I looked up, and saw...something. I didnt know what, but it broke my heart. I went home and cried for hours, and I didnt even know why I was crying.
I couldnt go to church; the very thought made me cry. I started volunteering Sunday mornings, and found wonderful, kind people out there, in the world. So God showed me that He is at work in the chirch, and outside it too. He is bigger, much bigger, than I ever dreamed!
I still am outside the church. I know He will open that door when He is ready. I do go to a Bible Study and, of course, pray and read the Bible on my own.

Loyal
My story is very strange. I was raiseed in the church, and loved going to church. That was where worship happened!
But one day in 2008, I was in church, and my second son, a young teenager, refused to go to Sunday School. I looked up, and saw...something. I didnt know what, but it broke my heart. I went home and cried for hours, and I didnt even know why I was crying.
I couldnt go to church; the very thought made me cry. I started volunteering Sunday mornings, and found wonderful, kind people out there, in the world. So God showed me that He is at work in the chirch, and outside it too. He is bigger, much bigger, than I ever dreamed!
I still am outside the church. I know He will open that door when He is ready. I do go to a Bible Study and, of course, pray and read the Bible on my own.
God is moving many people out of the organized churches....

Active
Very good answer. If you are a believer, God lives in you inside or outside the church. I recommend going to a physical Church of like believers, ironically, I am currently outside a physical church. Sometime ago , the church leaders saw it fit to change a 100 year old order....that the definition of marriage was no longer between a man and a woman but between two consenting adults..
I left that organization....besides the 'Church" is all believers!!!

Bendito said:
God is moving many people out of the organized churches....

Err, that's not God but the devil himself. Really, the Lord really want us to partake in the church's activities, the Apostle Paul even warned us of not doing so. Yeah, our evil nature and thus the way that the devil whispers to people to convince them to do bad stuff in front of believers and people that are just attending there is what drives people out of the so called organized churches. Let's be honest, most people don't read or listen to the Bible because most of them depend on the Bible study or the sermon to do that. Admit it, people are lazy. We are called to do what is mentioned in Acts 17:11.

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

The style of the verse quoted above was modified by yours truly.

Perhaps it's not explicitly demanded by the Lord to attend a church to be saved, but it is to gather with fellow believers and somebody that has learned sound doctrine to lead them. When we stay at home we might end up trusting our own judgment and only when we gather we might notice how far we were from the truth. Plus, we all need encouragement and reproval so as we don't end being self righteous people like the New Age wants people to become nowadays.

There's a strange custom these days that I find terrible for our spiritual lives and it's to think and let others think that "to judge other people" is bad. Of course, most people might sound harsh while criticizing other people's practices, but we need to control our anger or pride. After we have calmed down, we should analyze it humbly and see if there's something we're doing that might help other people find it faulty. Our initial reaction is to tell others "screw you" or "don't judge others" and quickly look for something even worse than that to accuse them. If we were able to share our so called judgments with others reciprocally, we'd be able to learn more about ourselves and actually realize how much we still need to change in order to become the kind of believers God expect us to be. Right, we would need to take some time to learn how to criticize other people and accept their criteria not as immediately valid but as an indicator that something might not be as acceptable as we first thought. Most of the time those that don't wanna be judged are those that live shallow lives with almost no Biblical background, accepting only those parts that don't accuse us of being sinners, especially recurring sinners.

Believe me, for the devil it's easier by far to fool a lonely believer than to make a whole congregation, a sound one, fall for a false doctrine. Every time we are alone we become easy prey for false preachers, our evil thoughts, and ignorance of the Word. We should be aware of the fact that God could allow some fake prophet or teacher or preacher enter in a local church to test us, to let us show what we really wanna believe. He always wants us to choose Him or fall for a lunatic's false doctrine for having rejected Him.

Last edited:
Loyal
Praise the Lord!

At last, something I have been discussing for several years, we know the world is off course but so is the church today.

When we become born-again Christians we become living stones of the one true church, spiritual stones, we become part of the body of Christ, the bride of Christ.

The building called a church is NOT a church, it is a place of worship, a place of fellowship and prayer, but it is not a church. When I talk with people about this, I never say which church do you go to, I ask where they worship, this could be in a building but can be in the street, in the country, up a mountain, anywhere.

It is hard to get the message over though, so many people, even ministers say 'my church', there is no such thing as my church, we are part of the body of Christ, the one true church the moment we believe. Others say, I know what you mean, we are the body of Christ, then talk about their church or the church they go to. This teaching comes from pastors and ministers over the years. Through the Roman Catholics, through the Reformation, even to this day in most denominations.

If we want to be right with our Lord, the one who will return for us, we need to call the church, the one true church, what it is, the body of Christ, we together are His church, we together as living spiritual stones are built up together and make the worldwide church.

To answer the question, do you have to go to church to be saved, I have to say, I know what the church is, and anyone can be part of it anywhere in the world at any time.

Today's so called churches, and I am not bashing churches as they are known, I am just speaking according to what our Lord tells us a church actually is. Today's so called churches are not born again believers, the body of Christ, they are saved souls, searching souls and lost souls.

First we must understand what the church is.
Second we must talk the talk as it were, confirm the Truth, what Jesus says the church is.
Third, once part of the One True Worldwide Church, the Body of Christ, the Bride of Christ, we need to meet with other who are saved, we do need fellowship, we do need to learn God's word from milk to meat, until we meet with our Lord, when He returns in Glory for His Church.

Christ will return in Glory for His Church, he will not be bring diggers and wagons for the buildings, he wants our hearts, he wants to save souls so that we will be with Him in Heaven. None of us want to be here after the Rapture, but sadly there will be many going to Church the following Sunday and realising part of the congregation has gone and the building they called church is still there.

Not in any sense does one have to attend church in order to be saved.
We are not saved by our works, which would necessarily include attending church, in order to be saved. We are saved solely, soul-y, by God's grace so that no one may boast they did anything in order to be saved. Which would amount to they helped save themselves.

The Ecclesia is the body of the faithful in Christ. That is the actual "church of Christ". The full number of the Elect of God.

Tune in to the Humanist wolf wearing custom tailored sheep's clothing, Joel Osteen sometime. A thirty thousand member church that gathers in what was once a sport stadium in Houston Texas.
30,000! Their offering total on a weekend, that's a Sunday, totals over half a million dollars. Osteen can't possibly minister to the needs of those 30,000. And he doesn't. He writes books instead. And those books are actually on the market every year about twice a year. And they are his sermons that he's preached compiled together into a book every six months. So for one year of his "preaching" he publishes two books that reiterate it.

Do you think those 30,000 people believe they are saved? How about those who repeat after Joel at the end of every sermon his version of a sinners prayer, which isn't in the Bible at all?
Joel Osteen leads people to Hell. But he is pastor of one of the so called mega-churches in America.

Why do people follow such a man? Because what he says makes them feel good.
And because people first believe if they don't believe they'll burn in Hell for eternity. So to avoid that they figure they might as well feel good about what they believe in order to avoid that.

Don't believe everything you hear. Research!
There is one God. And Jesus was God in flesh. "And you shall call the child Emmanuel, which means, "God with us" " . And yet there are dozens of Protestant denominations. Teachings, churches, that form Christ's words into their doctrinal image and likeness.
The Methodist doctrine. The Church of Christ doctrine, etc...

Wild how there is only one but there are thousands of churches dedicated to thousands of denominations claiming to be the only way to get to the one.

THINK!
God tells you, He is not found in structures built by man. Acts 7:48 . Don't therefore let anyone tell you you must go to church in order to know God.
God is omnipresent. All that exists was created of and by Him. You are a temple. The temple of the most high who's Holy Spirit dwells within.
The earth and all its wonders are God's creation. You cannot go anywhere that God is not found. Not even to Sheol. (Hell) Psalms 148.

That's why God created a mind in you first. And the printing press was inspired way after the brain of man came to exist. :wink:

Because of those living frauds is that we now tend to say "attending to the local church is not necessary". I know we are the temples, but it does make you feel part of a believing community to say my church, even if it doesn't belong to me or you or any other human being on earth but to Our Lord. One of the reasons I defend attending to a "church" is to let us not get used to think that we can deal with anything on our own. That's humanly impossible, guys! Some might say that we've got the Lord Himself, and that's true, but we're still living in the flesh and the feeling of closeness to other people is also necessary.

Plus, what's better than visiting the local community of faith? To attend a baseball or football match? o_O? Of course not! Even so we love to make up excuses to tell people "I'm not attending any church/worship community" and that, my friends, is a bad testimony for unbelievers. Attending "our" church is a testimony about our own interest in Our Lord, by not showing up there we're telling people around us that "it's a bad idea to go down there". So it's not about believers' salvation but the unbelievers'. If we don't show them we CAN get along as a faith community, who will ever believe any of our words whenever we're preaching on the streets?

Of course, reading the Bible and handling sound doctrine is always a must.

Loyal
@SleepyEdwin

What you say is all good and important, it is not a go it alone situation at all we are a community of believers.

It is a case of 'being right with our Lord'.

If we call the church building a church, or our church, we are wrong and are misguiding ourselves and others, we are also in effect liberalising the Word of God, we are not following Jesus's teaching of one of the most important items after salvation. The One True Church, the Body of Christ, His Bride who are waiting enlargeable for His return for her.

A small change is required from all born-again believers, because we are not just getting it wrong ourselves we are misguiding the world around us.

By asking people 'where they worship' rather than 'which church to you go to'
By saying 'the church meets together at ......... on Sunday's'
By saying 'the church I am part of is worldwide, it consists of baptised, born again spirit filled believers no matter what sex they are, what country they live in'

We still need prayer, we still need worship, we still need to be part of a community, the church meets at, this building or that building, at this home or that home.

It is a small adjustment in what we say which puts us right with Jesus, especially as we are so privileged to be part of the bride of Christ, so Blessed to be part of His One True Church, none of us deserve it, none of us deserve forgiveness but all who come to the Father, through Jesus the Son can receive it.

Pray, pray, pray, you could receive more blessings than you expect. Especially when John 3:1-7 and other verses rating to this are added together and preached. Take what is known as a church today, it includes born again believers, searching hearts (which are lost souls) and lost souls themselves. Suddenly there will be questions as the Spirit penetrates the hearts, some will probably ask am I saved, others what do I have to do to be saved.

To God be the Glory, Jesus is Lord and is Head of His one true Church.

May the Lord Bless you and keep you, may His light shine upon you, and reveal the Truth to all regarding His Church.

May Blessings flow in Jesus Precious Name. Amen

Loyal
You do not have to go to what is called a Church to be saved. Scripture confirms very clearly, the church is the body of Christ, saved believers whose name is in the Book of Life and the Lamb. We are spiritual stones, together, saved believers worldwide are 'The One True Church' and Christ is the Head of His Church.

Denominations are man made, what they call church are places of worship prayer and fellowship, but only the Saved, whose name is in the book of life and The Lamb are part of the One True Church.

Anyone can be Saved anywhere, but once Saved they need fellowship with other saved believers, not church goers, but Saved souls who are part of the worldwide One True Church.

When Christ Returns in Glory, He is not coming to Catholics, Anglicans, Methodists, Baptists, URC's, or any other 'denomination' rebuilding, He will return for Saved souls, whose name are in the Book of Life and The Lamb, they/we are the Church, they/we are His Bride providing we meet the requirements He has set out in God's Word to us all.

Bless you

Loyal
Because of those living frauds is that we now tend to say "attending to the local church is not necessary". I know we are the temples, but it does make you feel part of a believing community to say my church, even if it doesn't belong to me or you or any other human being on earth but to Our Lord. One of the reasons I defend attending to a "church" is to let us not get used to think that we can deal with anything on our own. That's humanly impossible, guys! Some might say that we've got the Lord Himself, and that's true, but we're still living in the flesh and the feeling of closeness to other people is also necessary.

Plus, what's better than visiting the local community of faith? To attend a baseball or football match? o_O? Of course not! Even so we love to make up excuses to tell people "I'm not attending any church/worship community" and that, my friends, is a bad testimony for unbelievers. Attending "our" church is a testimony about our own interest in Our Lord, by not showing up there we're telling people around us that "it's a bad idea to go down there". So it's not about believers' salvation but the unbelievers'. If we don't show them we CAN get along as a faith community, who will ever believe any of our words whenever we're preaching on the streets?

Of course, reading the Bible and handling sound doctrine is always a must.

Greetings SleepEdwin,

I understand what you are saying my friend but, what you are saying is incorrect.

Instead of saying I go to Church, you are correct if you say the Church meets here.

Only the Saved whose an.e is in the book of Life and The Lamb are part of the One True Church, the Body of Christ.

You say, as many do, My Church, it is not your church my friend, the Church belongs to Jesus Christ. It is the place of worship, fellowship and prayer you go to, you and other saved souls whose Name is in the Book of Life and The Lamb are part of the One True Church, which includes truly saved souls worldwide, regardless of colour, age, sex, or country you live in.

Bless you

Active
Greetings SleepEdwin,

I understand what you are saying my friend but, what you are saying is incorrect.

Instead of saying I go to Church, you are correct if you say the Church meets here.

Only the Saved whose an.e is in the book of Life and The Lamb are part of the One True Church, the Body of Christ.

You say, as many do, My Church, it is not your church my friend, the Church belongs to Jesus Christ. It is the place of worship, fellowship and prayer you go to, you and other saved souls whose Name is in the Book of Life and The Lamb are part of the One True Church, which includes truly saved souls worldwide, regardless of colour, age, sex, or country you live in.

Bless you
This is fine if most are full of like believers... But they are not....it would be better to start a small Bible study of like believers and build from their!

Last edited:
Loyal
This is where the forums come to help brother, Bible study is so important, but so is fellowship, prayers and worship. We can have that and do that everywhere my friend.

I understand fully what you say about the churches (as they are called) consisting or Saved souls and lost souls, the Institutionalised church is to blame, or is it?

When we look at church history, the Roman Catholic Church is to blame, and the reformation did nothing to stop their errors. The focus at the time of the Reformation was on Catholic Church errors, which resulted in and large number of different denominations, more denominations that some places of worship have saved souls!

But the reformation picked up from the Catholic errors and each one changed some items, some more than others, some less than others, but it was really, 'picking up from where they were at that time.

It is quite sad when we stop and think, which are the most important times in the Church year? Christmas some say, Easter others say, but which important day of the True Churches year has less in the congregation, Yes Pentecost. Why, because people love nice stories, the Nativity, kids re-enact the story, sadly introducing cartoon characters and worse, the devil takes their eyes off Jesus before they get to know Him. Then we have Easter, many remembering the crucifixion, many not knowing why Jesus was crucified. It is so sad, but they let the devil in so what should be expect. Then we come to Pentecost, the birth of the One True Church, where are the church goers, they now are holiday goers and more, it is not the same sort of story, they are lost souls and do not understand, do not see the relevance. The so called churches are full of people who go on Sunday for a weekly top up of the Spirit (so they think), so they have enough to last till next Sunday.

When the Rapture takes place, which will not be long now, it will be amazing to see how many people go to church the following Sunday, sit in the same seats, some with the same vicar, pastor and wonder what has happened, where is so and so, aliens must have taken them, and they continue into the Tribulation Period not realising what is happening, till it does.

Seek Saved believers brother, come together in fellow ship with them, no matter how few they are, for when two or three come together in Jesus Name, He is there in the midst of them. But seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven brother and keep your eyes in Jesus.

One final though my friend, don't look at what is called the church, look at church history, it is an eye opener, but most important, and here is a Bible Study like no other, go back to Acts and read what the church was like then, then ask yourself, is it like that today. But, do it in the opposite order, read Acts and follow the One True Church, then look at church history. First 70 years, first 100 years, first 300 years to Constantine, look how it changes over time, first 1000 years, then up to the Reformation and from there to now. I know which church you will see as right and which is off course brother. Your small Bible study with prayer and fellowship, in each others homes, fellowship can also be anywhere so can Praising God, walking down the street, in the community, on the hills, in the country, everywhere.

May the Lord Bless you and keep you brother, may His Light shine upon you, and grant you peace.

In Jesus precious name.

Amen \o/

Active
This is where the forums come to help brother, Bible study is so important, but so is fellowship, prayers and worship. We can have that and do that everywhere my friend.

I understand fully what you say about the churches (as they are called) consisting or Saved souls and lost souls, the Institutionalised church is to blame, or is it?

When we look at church history, the Roman Catholic Church is to blame, and the reformation did nothing to stop their errors. The focus at the time of the Reformation was on Catholic Church errors, which resulted in and large number of different denominations, more denominations that some places of worship have saved souls!

But the reformation picked up from the Catholic errors and each one changed some items, some more than others, some less than others, but it was really, 'picking up from where they were at that time.

It is quite sad when we stop and think, which are the most important times in the Church year? Christmas some say, Easter others say, but which important day of the True Churches year has less in the congregation, Yes Pentecost. Why, because people love nice stories, the Nativity, kids re-enact the story, sadly introducing cartoon characters and worse, the devil takes their eyes off Jesus before they get to know Him. Then we have Easter, many remembering the crucifixion, many not knowing why Jesus was crucified. It is so sad, but they let the devil in so what should be expect. Then we come to Pentecost, the birth of the One True Church, where are the church goers, they now are holiday goers and more, it is not the same sort of story, they are lost souls and do not understand, do not see the relevance. The so called churches are full of people who go on Sunday for a weekly top up of the Spirit (so they think), so they have enough to last till next Sunday.

When the Rapture takes place, which will not be long now, it will be amazing to see how many people go to church the following Sunday, sit in the same seats, some with the same vicar, pastor and wonder what has happened, where is so and so, aliens must have taken them, and they continue into the Tribulation Period not realising what is happening, till it does.

Seek Saved believers brother, come together in fellow ship with them, no matter how few they are, for when two or three come together in Jesus Name, He is there in the midst of them. But seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven brother and keep your eyes in Jesus.

One final though my friend, don't look at what is called the church, look at church history, it is an eye opener, but most important, and here is a Bible Study like no other, go back to Acts and read what the church was like then, then ask yourself, is it like that today. But, do it in the opposite order, read Acts and follow the One True Church, then look at church history. First 70 years, first 100 years, first 300 years to Constantine, look how it changes over time, first 1000 years, then up to the Reformation and from there to now. I know which church you will see as right and which is off course brother. Your small Bible study with prayer and fellowship, in each others homes, fellowship can also be anywhere so can Praising God, walking down the street, in the community, on the hills, in the country, everywhere.

May the Lord Bless you and keep you brother, may His Light shine upon you, and grant you peace.

In Jesus precious name.

Amen \o/
My Church of 30 years just sanctionrd Gay Pastors and marrying of Gay's. ...can't fellowship with that!

Loyal
My Church of 30 years just sanctionrd Gay Pastors and marrying of Gay's. ...can't fellowship with that!

So true brother, but first confirm scripture regarding the sin as discussed in this thread, then brush the sand of your shoes and walk away praying for them.

They are veiled from the Truth brother. They are going against God's Word by accepting people who do these practices into what they call the church, they will pay the price.

There is only One True Church brother and that includes all saved believers worldwide, denominations are man made. The Institutionalised church and any place of worship that goes against God's Word, by doing or accepting those have a lot to answer for. But that is not up to us, we can only confirm scripture, quote the Truth and pray for them to turn back to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit and His Word which is Truth for all.

Romans 1:18-32 (NKJV)

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.
20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,
25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.
27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;
29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers,
30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;
32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

May the Lord Bless you my friend.

Loyal
I think the question is wrong. Asking if you can be saved without going to church is akin to asking if you can live without having friendships. The answer is "yes", but it's not much of a life.

From beginning (Gen 2:18) to end (Rev 21:24) God's intention is for humans to be together. The natural place for that is in local church where we fellowship, submit to each other and share bread and wine in remembrance of Jesus Christ.

A better quesion might be: Can the fullness of life promised by Jesus be experienced outside a church fellowship?

All of the Christians I admire, turn to for wisdom and seek to emulate are deeply rooted in the Church.

Active
I think the question is wrong. Asking if you can be saved without going to church is akin to asking if you can live without having friendships. The answer is "yes", but it's not much of a life.

From beginning (Gen 2:18) to end (Rev 21:24) God's intention is for humans to be together. The natural place for that is in local church where we fellowship, submit to each other and share bread and wine in remembrance of Jesus Christ.

A better quesion might be: Can the fullness of life promised by Jesus be experienced outside a church fellowship?

All of the Christians I admire, turn to for wisdom and seek to emulate are deeply rooted in the Church.
Who is a Christian? Only those who have Jesus inside them. ..."Born Again ". Jesus is where the heart is.. anywhere, any place.