• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Your house

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Have you ever notice how many times the bible compares us to a house (or building) being built?

Luke 6:48; he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.
Luke 6:49; "But the one who has heard and has not acted accordingly, is like a man who built a house on the ground without any foundation; and the torrent burst against it and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great."
1 Cor 3:14; If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
Eph 2:20; having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,
Eph 2:22; in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.
Col 2:7; having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.
1 Pet 2:5; you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Cor 3:10; According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
2 Cor 10:8; For even if I boast somewhat further about our authority, which the Lord gave for building you up and not for destroying you, I will not be put to shame,
2 Cor 13:10; For this reason I am writing these things while absent, so that when present I need not use severity, in accordance with the authority which the Lord gave me for building up and not for tearing down.
Eph 2:21; in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord,
Eph 4:12; for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
Eph 4:16; from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.
Jude 1:20; But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

This is not a exhaustive list. But I think it's enough verses that you get the idea.
One thing I notice about every single one of the verses above... it is "the man" (you) who builds his house.
It never says God builds the house in any of the verses above. It would like to say we are being built in two ways. Individually and corporately as a body. It seems when God talks about the corporate church, He is involved in building it up. It seems that whenever the Bible speaks of us as individuals, it is up to us to build our house.

Now some of the verses above mention the foundation. The word foundation is used over 20 times in the new testament. While we might be responsible for the house, Jesus is our foundation. More to the point, what Jesus says is our foundation. You can't have a good house without a good foundation. But even with a great foundation some houses don't seem to be built to well.

1 Cor 3:10; According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
1 Cor 3:11; For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1 Cor 3:12; Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
Eph 2:20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,
1Ti 6:19 storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.

A house is only as good as it's foundation.

Matt 7:24; "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock.
Matt 7:26; "Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.

Isa 28:16; Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone, A costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed. He who believes in it will not be disturbed.

So how are we building this house? What are we building it on? What are we using to build it?
What are we building it for?

... to be continued...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Bible Library 0
B-A-C Bible Discussions 0
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0