• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Yoked with Jesus

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
There was a thread not long ago about being "unequally yoked with unbelievers".
This is a slightly different take. It is about being yoked with Jesus.

What is a yoke? Here is a decent picture.

I am not affiliated with that webpage in any way, I just liked the picture of the oxen in a yoke.

Matt 11:28; Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matt 11:29; Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Matt 11:30; For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

What a great passage for the current world times. How many of us are weighed down, heavy laden by all the things going on in the world today?
Sometimes we need a little rest from the worries and stress of life.

Jesus says take His yoke upon you. He says His yoke is easy, and His burden is light.
I've never owned any oxen, and I never placed any in a yoke. But I have seen a live oxen pair plow a field once.
It wasn't even a real farm, it was a demonstration of how people used to do it for something called "Pioneer Days".
But I was told you try to get two oxen about the same size and weight. You usually try to get one a little older and more experienced.
One that has been in a yoke before. The younger ox will learn from the older ox. They are tied together. Kind of like being chained
or hand-cuffed together. Where one goes, the other has no choice but to follow.

Jesus says in the passage above, "learn" of me. Jesus can teach us a thing or two, especially about taking rest and refuse in Him.
When you are yoked with someone, that mean you go where they go. Do what they do.
There are other verses where Jesus says His sheep "follow Him". There is a time for following Jesus to be sure.
But when you are yoked with someone, they walk beside you. Not in front or behind you, but with you.