• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Works vs the commandments

Loyal
There seems to be some confusion about this.

The word "works" in in the New testament over 60 times.

The word "commandments" is in the New Testament over 20 times.

There is very little crossover between these words.

There 6 verses that have the phrase "works of the law". Two of these are in Romans 3, and 4 are in Galatians.

So where do we begin? The entire set of the commandments in the law were over 600 individual commands.

I don't have time to go through the first 5 book of the Bible and list out all 600 commandments. But these are easily searchable out on the internet.
The link below is one example, but you don't have to use the link I give here.

Some examples of this would be in Leviticus 11 for example, where all the "rules" about what kind of animals the Jews could eat, and what kind they couldn't eat.
There are nearly 30 of these 600 commandments in this chapter of the Bible alone.

Now quite a few of these laws no longer apply after the New Testament took effect.

For example Acts 10 tells why people are now allowed to eat these animals, that they weren't allowed to eat in the old testament.

The "sign" of the covenant is not the same thing as the covenant itself. For example a rainbow is also a "sign" of a covenant, but it is not the covenant itself.
The covenant is that God won't destroy the Earth by a flood again. The rainbow is the "sign" of this covenant.

In Genesis 17 God made "the sign" of the covenant between Him and Abraham circumcision.
This is another one of those things that changed between the New Testament and the old testament. So the circumcision was the sign, what was the actual covenant?
In the case of Abraham there were four, but this was only the sign for one of those four.

In the old testament people confessed to priests and animals were sacrificed for sins, offerings to God, and the passover.

Another thing under the old covenant was stoning people, some examples of this would be...
Lev 20:2; Lev 24:16; Deut 13:10; etc....

So of course we no longer sacrifice animals, confess to priests (Roman Catholics do), have to be circumcized, stone people, and we are allowed to eat pork and squid now.

Why not?

Loyal
In the new testament we are given some examples of "works" but for the most part they aren't directly related to the commandments.

Jesus healed some people on the Sabbath day. Luke 6:6-11; Luke 13:10-17; John 5:1-17; etc... The Pharisees considered this a "work"
Jesus Himself confirmed it was indeed a "work" ( John 5:16-17; )

But there is no commandment in the old testament that said "Thou must heal people".
So by healing these people, Jesus wasn't keeping the commandments, He was doing a good work.

Likewise, if we look at the parable of the talents in Matthew 25. There is no commandment in the old testament that says "thou must invest thy talents, and increase them for God"
So the two "good and faithful" slaves here weren't keeping a commandment, they were doing a work.

Also if we look at the sheep and the goats (also in Matthew 25). There is no commandment that says "thou must feed the hungry" or "thou must clothe the naked".
So if you do these things, you aren't obeying the law of the old testament, you are doing a good work.

... so while you aren't obeying the law per se... you "MUST" do these good works. Notice what happens to the slave in the parable of the talents who didn't.
Notice what happens to the goats in Matthew 25 who didn't do the good works.

Loyal
So then there are the commandments. Which ones?

In particular Jesus and Paul mention two. James mentions one of these also. ( see Leviticus 19:18; Deut 6:5; )

Mat 22:37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Mat 22:38 "This is the great and foremost commandment.
Matt 22:39 "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Mark 12:31 "The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."
Mark 12:33 AND TO LOVE HIM WITH ALL THE HEART AND WITH ALL THE UNDERSTANDING AND WITH ALL THE STRENGTH, AND TO LOVE ONE'S NEIGHBOR AS HIMSELF, is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
Luke 10:27 And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
Gal 5:14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

Jas 2:8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF," you are doing well.

Paul says if you are loving your neighbor, you aren't killing them, stealing from them, sleeping with their wife.

Rom 13:8; Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9; For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:10; Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Jesus said the same thing...

Matt 22:40; "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Most of these commandments listed above are in Exodus 20.

These things are not considered "good works", they are considered the "law" or "the commandments".

... to be continued

Loyal
Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
Eph 2:9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

OK, that's great.... we aren't saved by works. I agree with that. But the next verse says...

Eph 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

So while we aren't saved by works..... we DO have to keep the commandments.
Paul separates the ceremonial law from the commandments. Circumcision was something required under the old covenant.

1Cor 7:19; Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

...and while we are told we don't have to keep the "law", we are told we have to keep the commandments.

Matt5:19; "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matt19:17; And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
Matt 22:40; "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."
Mark 10:19; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
Luke 1:6; They were both righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord.
Luke 18:20; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
John 14:15; "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 14:21; "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
John15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
1Cor 7:19; Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.
1Thes 4:2; For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.
1Jn 2:3; By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
1Jn 2:4; The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
1Jn 3:22; and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.
1Jn 3:24; The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
1Jn 5:2; By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments.
1Jn 5:3; For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
2Jn 1:6; And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.
Rev 14:12; Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

1st John 2:3-4; say keeping the commandments is not optional.

Loyal
While some things under grace, are similar to the old testament law. Some things changed, and some even got harder.

Matt 5:21; "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Matt 5:27; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Matt 5:31; "It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE';
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matt 5:33; "Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.'
Matt 5:34; "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
Matt 5:37; "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is of evil.

Matt 5:38; "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
Matt 5:39; "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Matt 5:43; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Matt 5:44; "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

So it's fine and good to say I'm not under the old testament law anymore, but are you under the commands and teaching of Jesus?

Luke 6:46; "Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Gal 6:2; Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

Loyal
(NKJV) Rom 12:1; I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

Keeping our bodies Holy, acceptable to God.... this isn't some great special "extra credit" thing. This is simply your "reasonable service". This is what you are expected to do.

Luke 17:7; "Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come immediately and sit down to eat'?
Luke 17:8; "But will he not say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink'?
Luke 17:9; "He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he?
Luke 17:10; "So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.'"

There is no reward for keeping the commandments, but there is a punishment for NOT keeping them.

This is different from works. There IS a reward for good works.

1Cor 3:13; each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.
1Cor 3:14; If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.

Loyal
Now I said works like feeding the hungry, and clothing the poor weren't "directly" related to the commandments, however the lines do get a little blurred in places.

Luke 10:25 And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
Luke 10:26 And He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?"
Luke 10:27 And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Luke 10:28 And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE."

Luke 10:29 But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
Luke 10:30 Jesus replied and said, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, and they stripped him and beat him, and went away leaving him half dead.
Luke 10:31 "And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luke 10:32 "Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
Luke 10:33 "But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion,
Luke 10:34 and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him.
Luke 10:35 "On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.'
Luke 10:36 "Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers' hands?"

Luke 10:37 And he said, "The one who showed mercy toward him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do the same."

In verse 27 the lawyer correctly quotes "the law". Love God and love you neighbor.
But then in verse 29 he asks "who is my neighbor".
This whole parable isn't about race or office or any of that really. It's about who we show love and compassion to.
This parable is about loving your neighbor.

In the old testament, all I had to do was not kill them, not steal from them, etc...
But under the new covenant, I actually have to love them, show compassion to them, and in some cases take care of them.

Last edited:
Active
Psalm 40:6 In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required.
7 Then I said, “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me:
8 I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.
9 I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great congregation; behold, I have not restrained my lips, as you know, O LORD.
10 I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation.

Thus the Spirit-filled Christian fulfils the moral purpose of the Law through love of God (for he first loved us) and love of others.
Love is not an abstract notion, but is demonstrated to our God and Saviour through thankfulness, faithfulness and obedience - (as in marriage)
Love is demonstrated to others through Christian qualities of brotherly kindness, long-suffering, forgiveness, sharing, lending, good works, helping the widows and orphans, ...
Love is also demonstrated by witnessing to others (our testimonies) and by preaching the gospel of salvation.

Active
Jesus on obedient servants doing their duty ...

Luke 17:7 “Will any one of you who has a servant ploughing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and recline at table’?
17:8 Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink’?
17:9 Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded?
17:10 So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’”

Active
Luke 10:35 "On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.'
The parable of the Samaritan is the gospel in a nutshell.
He who fell to robbers on the road to Jericho are us in this world (the road to Jericho was a deep descent)
The Levite and the priest represent the failure of the religious leaders to understand mercy and justice
The Samaritan (Jesus) had compassion (love as we ought to) and poured in the oil and wine (the gospel) for healing
He brought him to an inn (the church) and asked the innkeeper (us Christians) to take care of him
‘Take care of him, and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’ > that is a directive to us to share and to give and to assist in the recovery of those who have been wounded
Not to give to millionaire pastors, but to directly give to the widows and orphans, the hungry and the impoverished
Jesus will reward or recompence when he returns and we stand before him
And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.” - a commandment more than just a suggestion.

Staff Member

Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

Romans 12:16

While some disagree with the 'label' Christian, my original understanding of it was, Christ-like, or those who are like Jesus. Without getting into any dispute over that, as we all surely agree to a point at least, that Christians are meant to be those who not only believe but also live as such, we are also to be followers of Him. In this respect, it would be reasonable to say that if Jesus did and gave example of how to live, we ought to follow suit and do likewise. A sort of, Be doers of the Word and not hearers only.

If this is the case, we can look in the Bible and see what Jesus did. Notice one thing though. That doing word, 'did'. (i am not suggesting it is all past tense).
So, what did Jesus do, if indeed He did anything? (No disrespect at all intended)

One should also ask, why did He do? And was His doing, in being obedient unto death, somehow inclusive, demonstrative and living the Way, remembering that He Himself is the Way, and no man can come to God but by Him?

When people saw and witnessed Jesus, were they simply students under a teacher, a teacher giving a new set of laws or redefining the laws, and delivering the theory, or was being a disciple a more practical hands on and copy the way these 'new lessons' were done? Which brings us again to, Go and do likewise.

One thing we must see is that Jesus did things. He did not sit on a cushion giving sensual meditation advice, nor did He stand on a platform either tickling ears or dictating or anything in between. But He did one thing and He did it well (thank you so much Lord). He did what He was given of His Father to DO.

How about you?

Unto you first God, having raised up His Son Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Acts 3:26

Thank you for sharing this with us B-A-C and the time and love you put into it. @B-A-C

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
@Downunder and @Br. Bear thanks for verses.

But of course loving our neighbor is only half of it. We are supposed to love God also.
There seems to be a lot of emphasis in many churches about how much God loves you... and He does.
But Matt 22:37; Luke 10:27; and Mark 12:30; all say we "have" to love God.

So it's great that God loves you, but how much do you love Him?

James says we are "heirs" to the kingdom if we love God. What if we don't love Him?

Jas 2:5; Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

A lot of people like to quote Rom 8:28; but....

Rom 8:28; And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

"all thing work together for good" ... yes, but only "to those who love God".

Now of course every single person who claims to be a Christian will also say "I love God". Of course I do. Do you? Do you really?

The Bible really only gives us one way to show we love God. Do you know what it is?

John 14:15; "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 14:21; "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
John 15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

1Jn 5:2; By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments.
1Jn 5:3; For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
2Jn 1:6; And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

If you're not keeping the commandments, you're not loving Jesus/God.

None of us are perfect, and keeping them 100% is close to impossible, there is grace, forgiveness and mercy if we stumble.
We have an advocate.

But if we willfully keep on living in sin, and "practicing" sin..... we aren't loving God.

Active
So it's great that God loves you, but how much do you love Him?
Luke 7:39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.”
40 And Jesus answering said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he answered, “Say it, Teacher.”
41 “A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
42 When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more?”
43 Simon answered, “The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt.” And he said to him, “You have judged rightly.”
44 Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
45 You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven - for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.”
48 And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

Staff Member
Greetings again,

When we talk about the Commandments, the key we need is cut according to the perfect will of the LORD.
I shall not venture upon discussing the key itself but may i suggest that the form of it is obedience?

When we consider Him, Who was obedient unto death, we have the example set, the Way.

Christians are meant to be those who not only believe but also live as such, we are also to be followers of Him. In this respect, it would be reasonable to say that if Jesus did and gave example of how to live, we ought to follow suit and do likewise. A sort of, Be doers of the Word and not hearers only.

If this is the case, we can look in the Bible and see what Jesus did. Notice one thing though. That doing word, 'did'. (i am not suggesting it is all past tense).
So, what did Jesus do, if indeed He did anything? (No disrespect at all intended)

One should also ask, why did He do? And was His doing, in being obedient unto death, somehow inclusive, demonstrative and living the Way, remembering that He Himself is the Way, and no man can come to God but by Him?

When people saw and witnessed Jesus, were they simply students under a teacher, a teacher giving a new set of laws or redefining the laws, and delivering the theory, or was being a disciple a more practical hands on and copy the way these 'new lessons' were done? Which brings us again to, Go and do likewise.

One thing we must see is that Jesus did things. He did not sit on a cushion giving sensual meditation advice, nor did He stand on a platform either tickling ears or dictating or anything in between. But He did one thing and He did it well (thank you so much Lord). He did what He was given of His Father to DO.
========================

In the old testament people confessed to priests
Ah, yes, but we have a High Priest...
the curtain is torn

In Israel/Judah of 'the Old Testament' one could not approach The LORD GOD יהוה

To do so was death, ie, you would die; hence the priest. Even then it was under very strict and limited conditions and prerequisites.

Something changed. We call Him Jesus, Jesus Christ, Who alone is our Mediator.

It is to Him we must come.

@B-A-C brother, as you know, the Love of God and loving each other is important to me so i read your posts [ OP's ] with great interest but i also continued on in meditation and prayer upon the things you wrote and one thing i found when writing my previous reply was that nearly everywhere you go in the Bible, the Commandments and keeping them is there.

I will take this opportunity to confess that i fail all too often, and far, far, far, FAR to often i get it wrong which while the condemner would condemn, i only get to a clearer picture of the need i have for God's mercy and grace.

We do have to do as we are instructed to do. And, Brother, i am so glad that we have an Intercessor, so glad, so very very glad.

There is something about this verse that is comforting to me, not that i can boast of perfect, faultless seeking....

But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.
Hebrews 11:6

Jesus did not do away with the Commandments. He revealed to us that they were, may i say, bullet points.
He did this by showing us The LORD, the One Who gave those Commandments, or perhaps better put, He revealed to us how the Father viewed them, ie the how and why behind them.

Our 'quest' is to know Him and be known by Him. Jesus showed us that the Way is to get busy loving your neighbour, including the one who is your enemy.

Another wonderful thing about Jesus, that we perhaps all need to brush up on to different degrees, is that when Jesus came across the sick, the dying, and even the dead, He did not suffice with, "I love you, I hope you get better", or "I hope he rests in peace". That was not enough, That was not Love as He knew it, or should that read, as He knew.

I can never go too far without being reminded that Jesus did that which His Father gave Him to DO and in that, He was obedient.
Two things we get out of that, not forgetting the much more there, and that is, He DID things, [work] and He was obedient, and not like you and me, He did it right, ALL the time, ie, without sin.
The Son of Man.

Have you ever considered the very last lesson He gave to His Disciples?
I won;t tell you but i do ask you look it up and do consider why it was then, shortly before the Crucifixion, and why He did not give that lesson earlier.
We probably would have completely different timing on all He did as we have account of in the Bible if we all were given the list to organise! BUT< why did He do as He did then and what was the lesson....
He finished with "If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."

Something to chew on before supper

Bless you ....><>

Active
It seems to me, that we often " Miss the boat" on much of this, atleast I do!

As I see it, the "Law" , "Commandments" are pretty much the same thing ; the are edicts from a perfect and Holy God and to be kept 24/7 every day ,day in and day out and would require us to be perfect and holy as well!
They are both holy and pure and worth keeping to the best of our ability.

Also God, in His divine mercy, is always giving us an out ,until He he Glorifies us.

First, in the ancient days, it was the "Day Of Atonement ".
Now, James 2:10. This is an out for believers. He commands us to keep His Statutes, they are Holy but reveals to us, when we fail, He has already taken care of that. Much like what Jesus said about Adultery: " I tell you the truth, if you look at woman like that you already have
committed Adultery! Try to take that one to court; you would be a "Laughing Stock".
But with God, It is much different! I would say, maybe look at it this way: how do we not sin when sin is anything that God is not or doesn't do?

Remember He is Devine and holy,holy, holy!