• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Word on the web/5 January

Staff Member
5 January 2008

Word on the Web

Proverbs 2: 9-15

Then you will understand what is honest and fair and what is the good and right thing to do.
Wisdom will come into your mind, and knowledge will be pleasing to you.
Good sense will protect you; understanding will guard you.
It will keep you from the wicked, from those whose words are bad, who don't do what is right but what is evil.
They enjoy doing wrong and are happy to do what is crooked and evil.
What they do is wrong, and their ways are dishonest.

Now you see why we are going through the Proverbs at a good lick - they get quite repetitive. It's as if we need to have the same messages coming at us time and again before we really absorb them.

"Why does the devil have all the good tunes?" someone once complained. Knowing that they aren't as good as they sound, this passage provides the answer - "Knowledge will be pleasing to you".

As we let God's mind into our own, as we seek His wisdom in a spirit of integrity, He changes us, so that we see things in a different light. As we become more Christ-like, the things that please Him also become the things that please us. We find things that offend Him are a turn-off for us. We see how shallow they are and they lose their sparkle. We can no longer enjoy doing what is wrong.

What is the saddest thing in the world to see? To my mind, a person who wanders away from God's truth. Because they know what is right, and they're in a Catch 22 - they can't enjoy doing what is wrong, but they won't do what will bring them happiness.

Where are you in this? What pleases you? Do you want to please your commanding officer, as Paul encouraged Timothy (2 Timothy 2:4)? Or are you side-tracked by the desires of the world?

Lord God, I want to become more like Jesus Christ, to be turned on by the things that please you and turned off by the things that offend you. Show me your mind so that I will see you more clearly, love you more dearly and follow you more nearly day by day. Amen

Written by James Archer