• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Word on the web/31 December

Staff Member
31 December 2007

Word on the Web

Proverbs 1: 1-6

These are the wise words of Solomon son of David, king of Israel.

They teach wisdom and self-control; they will help you understand wise words.

They will teach you how to be wise and self-controlled, and will teach you to do what is honest and fair and right.
They make the uneducated smarter, and give knowledge and sense to the young.

Wise people can also listen and learn; even smart people can find good advice in these words.

Then anyone can understand wise words and stories, the words of the wise and their riddles.

Welcome to God's treasure trove!

If you're thinking of New Years' resolutions, what will you pick from the book of Proverbs?

These proverbs were written 3,000 years ago, and they are as fresh and relevant now as they were back then. Occasionally the style feels a bit dated.

Imagine you are running a school, a college or a youth club, or else looking for one to join. What would your ambition for it be? How about taking the above as a manifesto?

It might be an excellent place, but it wouldn't be fashionable. Wisdom, self-control, honesty, right, knowledge and sense? That's a bit unrealistic, isn't it, limiting, intolerant, arrogant and elitist? You don't get places by being fair - it's a strange way of being "smart"!

Jesus said, "Enter through the narrow gate. The gate and the road that lead to destruction are wide, and many people go that way. But the gate and the road that lead to true life are narrow, and only a few people find them." (Matthew 7:13-14)

Dare to be different! Don't follow the crowd! Go for the best! Seek wisdom! Why not start this evening?

What's your New Year's resolution?

Lord, teach me wisdom and understanding, and help me to follow your ways with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength in the coming year. Amen

Written by James Archer