• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Word on the web/26 September

Staff Member
26 September 2007

Ephesians 5 v 6-9

Do not let anyone fool you by telling you things that are not true, because these things will bring God's anger on those who do not obey him. So have nothing to do with them. In the past you were full of darkness, but now you are full of light in the Lord. So live like children who belong to the light. Light brings every kind of goodness, right living, and truth.

The hit U.S. sci-fi series The X-Files followed the lives of two FBI agents devoted to uncovering the truth behind strange goings-on in America. One of the slogans they made famous was; 'the truth is out there'. They would regularly risk their lives in pursuit of 'the truth'.

This reading tells us that the truth is not something that we need to go and search for; it's not 'out there,' but 'in here' - in God's Word, in the Gospel. But there are those who would deny the truth, or twist God's Word to their own advantage. In 1993 in Waco, Texas, 79 people died after joining a cult led by David Koresh, a man who claimed to be from God. There are lots of other so-called religious leaders who change God's Word to suit themselves, on the same scale as Koresh, or in much smaller, subtle ways.

The easiest way to spot these false teachers is to be familiar with God's word. If somebody started to quote Bible verses to you as a way of getting you to do something, would you be able to tell if they were genuine? This week, take time to make a commitment - or recommitment! - to God to study his Word in more depth. Ask God in prayer to give you greater knowledge of Him through his Word, and see if you can find a more mature Christian to help you draw closer on your walk with God.

Look on the internet for a simple Bible reading plan that you can follow. On a piece of card, or a post-it note, write down the words 'I promise to give some of my time every day to God so that I can study his Word.' Put it somewhere where you'll see it at least once a day to remind yourself of your promise - and then try to keep to it!

Written by David Redfield

Ann

Amen to your post and thank you for taking the time to bring it to us.

I once read that if I witness to someone and that person gives her/his heart to God, that I cannot just leave this person to fend for him/herself. That I have a responsibility to help this person walk the path of God.

This is not always possible because if one preacher, due to teaching the word of God, have say 30 people giving their hearts to God, it is impossible for him to be responsible for all those people.

I personally think that we as more mature Christians must take the new Christians by the hand and help them without them having to ask for help, especially in a church or a group. This is something that is not happening in the church where I'm a member - everyone fend for themselves and the new Christians stumble around trying to find the right way.

When I was reborn I was very very stupid because now I can see the mistakes that I made, but then I didn't know what to do, what to read, how to do Bible study and many other things - and nobody cared whether I was coping or not?

Being interested in someones wellbeing can do a lot for the confidence of that person. I was very shy and didn't have the frankness to just approach someone with a lot of questions.

I know I have a responsibility for my own growth, and in the end it was only me and God and through His grace alone, am I where I am today, but it would have been so much easier if their was just one person that reached out to me.

And I'm sure there is more people like me who would really appreciate a hand reaching out to them.

Let's reach out and not wait for people to come to us and in doing so we will save many from being mislead and lost forever.

Blessings!

I strongly agree, but in a case like me I may do more harm than good! So many times have I fell shot that I am not even confident in my testomony, so many times I feel that as a born again follower of Jesus Christ,I leave a bad taste in my mouth because I know my sins. I know where God has brought me from & I'm so thankful, but it hard to share because often I make mistakes. I know in my heart that GOD has forgiven me, but to the world, that's just an excuse. Am I clear? I often pray that the HOLY SPIRIT interceeds when I share my testomony, that the world gets the point of grace as I explain it. Really good post !