• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Word on the web/24 October

Staff Member
24 October 2007

John 11 v 17-27

When Jesus arrived, he learned that Lazarus had already been dead and in the tomb for four days. Bethany was about two miles from Jerusalem. Many of the Jews had come there to comfort Martha and Mary about their brother.

When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed home. Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you anything you ask."

Jesus said, "Your brother will rise and live again."
Martha answered, "I know that he will rise and live again in the resurrection on the last day."

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me will have life even if they die. And everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Martha, do you believe this?"
Martha answered, "Yes, Lord. I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the One coming to the world."

For many of us, we don't really know how much God loves us, so when he seemingly ignores our prayers and lets painful things happen it's easy to get angry with God. Our disappointment can weaken our faith and damage our intimacy with him. Although Martha had hope that Lazarus would rise again on the last day, it still hurt to have lost her brother, and she was disappointed in Jesus for not being there to have stopped this tragedy happening. But despite this, she still kept her faith in Jesus, because she knew the love and affections of Jesus.

One of the recurring principles of the Bible is of us giving God what little we have, and he gives us back so much more, and we see the same thing here, as Jesus took the faith that Martha had and grew it. She already believed in a hope for the future, and he would cause her to have faith for the present. Jesus does not say 'I will be the resurrection', but 'I am the resurrection'. If all of God's children can be raised on the last day, then why not today? Note that Jesus does not engage her in theological or intellectual debate, but simple asks her if she believes.

Have the disappointments in your life weakened your faith in God? Bring those times to him (note that Jesus does not rebuke Martha for coming to him and expressing her hurt). Then tell God you still believe in him, and ask him to overcome your unbelief (Mark 9:24).

Written by Dan Cooper