• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Word on the web/22 October

Staff Member
22 October 2007

John 11 v 1-6

A man named Lazarus was sick. He lived in the town of Bethany, where Mary and her sister Martha lived. Mary was the woman who later put perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair. Mary's brother was Lazarus, the man who was now sick. So Mary and Martha sent someone to tell Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick."
When Jesus heard this, he said, "This sickness will not end in death. It is for the glory of God, to bring glory to the Son of God." Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. But when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was for two more days.

This family was a family that was particularly intimate with Jesus, and knew more than most how much He loved them. Other stories in which Jesus healed involve a request - they ask Jesus for him to heal. But here the sisters simply tell Jesus that Lazarus was sick, trusting in His love for them, trusting that Jesus would act out of love and so do what was best.

Of course, what Jesus does next doesn't seem to be very caring or loving. Personally, I don't have this same knowledge of, and trust in, His love for me, and so when God doesn't seem to respond quickly, it's easy to think He's not that bothered about me. I have MS, but I've not been healed yet, so there have inevitably been times when I've given up on God, thinking He doesn't care. But of course, we don't see the bigger picture, that God is working in all things for the good of those who love him, even if that involves us going through pain and death. It's interesting to note that Jesus does not say the story won't involve death, but that death won't be the end of the story. Death was necessary to bring even greater glory to God.

The Greek word translated 'but' in verse 6 actually means 'therefore, accordingly, consequently'. It's not that he stayed despite his love for them, but rather he stayed because he loved them. If you or anybody you know is feeling abandoned by God, pray for more and more knowledge of and trust in His love for us.

Written by Dan Cooper