• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Word on the web/11 March

Staff Member
11 March 2008

Word on the Web

John 18 v 10-14

Simon Peter, who had a sword, pulled it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.) Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword back. Shouldn't I drink the cup the Father gave me?"
Then the soldiers with their commander and the Jewish guards arrested Jesus. They tied him and led him first to Annas, the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. Caiaphas was the one who told the Jews that it would be better if one man died for all the people.

"Shouldn't I drink the cup the Father gave me?"

Justice? Evangelism? Worship? Youth? Family? Missionary? Politics? One of my favourite subjects is my calling. Isn't it just fascinating? - trying to find out God's will for our lives, the plans He's had in motion since the day before eternity. How can I use this day, this month, this year, this life to Your glory?

In the glorious heroics of doing big things for God we can often overlook how hard it can be. We paint for ourselves futures where we change the world without breaking a sweat. We see ourselves saving the planet and changing lives but often have no idea of the costs.

We see Peter try to protect Jesus from the cost of His mission. Jesus' response?

"Shouldn't I drink the cup the Father gave me?"

He knew if He was to do His father's will He had to do it all. The cost was simply the harder part of submission. If we allow ourselves to become concerned over the cost of our calling we'll eventually be disillusioned.

Father, King, help me follow You more fully, help me to love You more deeply. Please give me a spirit of wisdom and prayer that would help me overcome anything between Your heart and my life. Please help me live for you today. Amen

Written by members of Xplore