• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Word for Today / Stop Trying To Control Everything (1)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Stop Trying To Control Everything (1)

'...He shall direct your paths.' Proverbs 3:6 NKJV

Without self–control we end up hurting ourselves, but when we become overly controlling of ourselves or others, it’s an indication that we’re not trusting God enough. In the final analysis God alone determines our outcomes. So: ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.’ (Proverbs 3:5–6 NKJV) If you find yourself trying to control every detail and aspect of your life, try using these strategies for developing the right mindset:

(1) Understand that you are not an independent, self–sufficient being. ‘…We are His people, and the sheep of His pasture.’ (Psalm 100:3 NKJV) Sheep cannot take care of themselves; they need the shepherd to feed them, lead and protect them. Getting the idea?

(2) When the unexpected happens, practise responding calmly. God is never taken by surprise. What seems like a crisis is often an opportunity for Him to demonstrate His love and care for you.

(3) Focus on the internal and leave the external to God. Once you settle within yourself that you cannot control most external happenings, but only your internal response to them, you’ll be able to stop stressing out over the uncontrollable and the inevitable.

Take a deep breath to slow the flow of adrenaline, send up a silent prayer, then turn the problem over to God. Realise that His plans for your life have not been derailed. ‘You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.’ (Psalm 139:16 NLT) Stop trying to control everything.

written by Bob Gass

This is an excellent thing for me to read about a million times. These are all things that I know, but which I have a hard time remembering when I am stressed, which is most of the time.

Loyal
We need to hand over the reins to Jesus and let him keep hold of them. Because we have the authority to direct our own lives we want to do so in ways that pleases ourselves. God gave us the authority, but He know we do not know how to properly handle that authority. We must keep on handing those reins to ourselves back to Him. He can lead the Way. We cannot, not alone.

Loyal
I agree with you. I just have such a hard time doing it.
So ask God for help to let go of the reins. Keep on asking for help for as long and as many times as the need continues:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

Well, the thing is, I feel like I've been asking for his help for a lifetime already. Due to things I have been through in my life, my faith is not as strong as it needs to be to actually get my prayers answered.

Loyal
Well, the thing is, I feel like I've been asking for his help for a lifetime already. Due to things I have been through in my life, my faith is not as strong as it needs to be to actually get my prayers answered.
Are your prayers not answered or do you not understand the answer?

What Paul calls the "old man" in each of us is NOT dead, although we continue to try to kill him. Every time we look away from Jesus even for a moment we yield to the will of that "old man". Jesus recognized the problem and dealt with it personally here:

"nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

While Jesus never failed to please the Father, everyone of us has. Don't get frustrated and give up. Rather stand up and try one more time asking for God's help one more time. The process may seem slow and at times it may seem that He is ignoring us. I believe that we are learning to be patient with God and with ourselves. If after a seemingly terrible failure get up again. Don't quit. God may be testing you in just that way. Don't quit. Try again and ask for help again and again. Remember the Jacob wrestling with the angel. He would not quit:

"And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.

And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.

And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed."

Gen 32:24-28

Well, if he is still testing me after all this time he should be able to see that I can't take much more of it.

There are times when I am able to see that he is helping me, and times when I can't. And I am not able to keep my eyes on him all the time. I get too distracted by all the things I have to do every day.

Loyal
Well, if he is still testing me after all this time he should be able to see that I can't take much more of it.

There are times when I am able to see that he is helping me, and times when I can't. And I am not able to keep my eyes on him all the time. I get too distracted by all the things I have to do every day.
Yes, God can see what you can handle and what you cannot better than you. Don't expect it to be an easy road. The road is only easy when we are walking it with Him. That doesn't happen just because we wish it would. What you must do is the impossible:

"Pray without ceasing." I Thess 5:17

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" Phil 4:4

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." Matt 19:26

We cannot, but God in us can. This is why we must ask God repeatedly to help us to "pray without ceasing" and to "rejoice in [Him] always".

The flesh is weak and all of us have that flesh which continues to beckon to us. God's knows our weakness and He understands when in spite of our best we fail. What God will not accept is someone who quits. Yes, we get weary, but do we not suppose that Jesus on his way to the cross with the weight of the cross on his torn flesh was weary? When he was in the Garden of Gethsemene praying it was his flesh that sought an easier way with no pain and no death, but that was not to be, not for him and not for us.

We cannot be always asking for the pain and suffering to be removed and expect it to happen every time. Along with Stephen we must come to the place where while the stones are killing us we are looking up to Him standing on at the right hand of God. [Acts 7:55]

I am leaving the forum for the moment as other duties call. I will return later if you have further questions.

Yes, God can see what you can handle and what you cannot better than you. Don't expect it to be an easy road. The road is only easy when we are walking it with Him. That doesn't happen just because we wish it would. What you must do is the impossible:

"Pray without ceasing." I Thess 5:17

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" Phil 4:4

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." Matt 19:26

We cannot, but God in us can. This is why we must ask God repeatedly to help us to "pray without ceasing" and to "rejoice in [Him] always".

The flesh is weak and all of us have that flesh which continues to beckon to us. God's knows our weakness and He understands when in spite of our best we fail. What God will not accept is someone who quits. Yes, we get weary, but do we not suppose that Jesus on his way to the cross with the weight of the cross on his torn flesh was weary? When he was in the Garden of Gethsemene praying it was his flesh that sought an easier way with no pain and no death, but that was not to be, not for him and not for us.

We cannot be always asking for the pain and suffering to be removed and expect it to happen every time. Along with Stephen we must come to the place where while the stones are killing us we are looking up to Him standing on at the right hand of God. [Acts 7:55]

I am leaving the forum for the moment as other duties call. I will return later if you have further questions.
I don't think I expect the road to be easy, but it has always been SO HARD for me. It is as if he sent me out on this difficult path of life without giving me the tools to get through it. And to this day I really don't understand why, if Satan was defeated by Jesus through his sacrifice on the cross, we still have to suffer so much in this life.

Loyal
I don't think I expect the road to be easy, but it has always been SO HARD for me. It is as if he sent me out on this difficult path of life without giving me the tools to get through it. And to this day I really don't understand why, if Satan was defeated by Jesus through his sacrifice on the cross, we still have to suffer so much in this life.
Satan was defeated by Jesus in the carnal world of the flesh of Jesus, but not in my flesh or in your flesh. These are the fields where there is still work that needs to be done. The promises in Revelation chapters 2 and 3 are to overcomers. Until we overcome our little world of "the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life..." [I John 2:16], we are still working in the field, but we do have Hope. Look to that Hope rather than focusing on your difficulties.