• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply scroll all the way down to the footer and click on the style chooser.

Thank you.

Word for Today / Joseph’s Three Coats (1 & 2)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:1)

Staff member
Joseph’s Three Coats (1 & 2)

‘Jacob had given Joseph a fancy coat.’ Genesis 37:3 CEV

Let’s look at the three different coats Joseph wore—because they present a picture of your life as a Christian. First, the coat of salvation. Notice, it was a ‘gift’ from his father; Joseph never paid a cent for it, or sewed a stitch, or provided a single bit of fabric. And that’s the story of our salvation, isn’t it? The Bible says, ‘For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.’ (Ephesians 2:8–9 NKJV) Motivated by jealousy and resentment, Joseph’s brothers threw him into a pit and dipped his coat in the blood of a goat in order to convince their father that he had been devoured by a wild beast. Are you getting the picture here? ‘The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.’ (1 John 1:7 NKJV)

In Old Testament times, when someone sinned they brought a sacrificial lamb to the altar and the priest shed its blood as payment for their sins. But the priest did not examine the person, he examined the lamb. If the lamb was ‘worthy’, the person was accepted and their sins were atoned for. So the moment you acknowledge your sin and pray, ‘Father, I come in the name of Jesus, the Lamb of God,’ you are totally forgiven and accepted. ‘Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.’ (Hebrews 4:16 NKJV)

‘Joseph left his coat in her hand and ran.’ Genesis 39:12 NCV

The second coat Joseph wore was: the coat of temptation. The Bible says that when Joseph ‘was in the house going about his work… she came and grabbed him by the sleeve, demanding, “Sleep with me.” He tore himself away, but as he did, his jacket slipped off and she was left holding it as he fled.’ (Genesis 39:11–12 TLB) Joseph was young, handsome, lonely, far from home, and facing repeated temptation at the hands of his boss’ wife. Yet he resisted her advances and said, ‘How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?’ (Genesis 39:9 NKJV) His first concern was not that he couldn’t get away with it, but that he couldn’t live with himself if he said yes. Remembering how God had loved, preserved, and blessed him put the brakes on any carnal inclinations and impulses he may have had.

Not so with David. After his affair with Bathsheba, he wrote these words in his penitential prayer: ‘Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight.’ (Psalm 51:4 NKJV) Who are you sinning against? God. Who is observing what you’re doing? God: the One who demonstrated the extent of His love for you at Calvary. Did God forgive David? Yes, and He will forgive you too. But David’s story proves that sometimes we have to live with the consequences of our deeds, and they can devastate not only us but those who look to us for guidance. Paul, the greatest of the apostles, acknowledged this truth: ‘I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.’(1 Corinthians 9:27 NKJV)

written by Bob Gass