• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Word 4 U 2day/Don't Be Afraid, Put God

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Don't Be Afraid, Put God First

'I have instructed a widow there to feed you' 1 Kings 17:9

Times are tough. The economy's come to an all-time slump. No one even knows where their next meal's coming from. These were the circumstances facing Elijah, but he didn't lose hope.

Elijah knew God, and he knew God's voice when he heard it: 'Go to Zarephath. I have instructed a widow there to feed you'. So obedient Elijah finds said woman and asks her for some grub.

It soon turns out God's going to have to perform a miracle if Elijah's going to be fed that night as the widow frankly states, 'I don't have so much as a biscuit' (v.12, TM). But Elijah's not put off and delivers God's Word: 'The jar of flour will not run out and the bottle of oil will not become empty before GOD sends rain on the land and ends this drought.'

Sure enough, unfailing God fulfils His promise to provide, as surely as Elijah delivered the message to the widow. Here are three powerful lessons in provision:

1) When you need it, God's provision is in place;

2) The people God uses might surprise you;

3) Our bad time is God's opportune moment.

This lady was all set to savour her last meal then pop her clogs. When God's work has a need, He looks for someone with a seed, stretches their faith, and both the giver and God's work are blessed.

You see, one of God's names is Yahweh-Yireh, which means 'God will provide'. It's in His DNA. But He'll often wait till we are totally dependent on Him, before we see Him come through for us.

written by Bob Gass