• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Women stay home while the man works??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
WHERE in the Bible does it say this? I have a REALLY hard time swallowing this saying or verse or scripture if it is in fact even written in the Bible. I understand women aren't going to do manual labor like a man (in some cases they do) but to just sit at home while the man works - What if bills pile up, utilities get shut off, the house is near foreclosure - Does the "woman still stay home" & not contribute to take some of the heavy load off from her husband? Does is even make sense that one income just isn't enough & that the woman HAS to work in order to keep a roof over BOTH of their heads? Someone I know has a average job making maybe 10$ an hour - The utilities are always near shut-off, the mortgage is always late, they can't afford much of anything but when I tell her that a job for her is a great idea she replies with "We believe that the woman stays home". Her kid bearing days have long ended. No need to stay at home & bob babies on her lap anymore. They have grown up & moved out. So now what? She's as big around as she is tall yet has no problem watching her husband come home late hours after working 13 plus hours a day. How can ANYONE add to the stress & not want to help with taking some of the load off? Even if her husband worked around the clock at his job the ends would never meet because it's not a career is a basic job.

To me, This is nothing more than a statement made by a woman that doesn't care that her husband is working long dreadful hours, doesn't care that he's exhausted & really doesn't care much about his well being at all because she is too lazy to get off the couch & work to help the husband. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

I would really like to know where it states this anywhere - Sounds like a cop out to be lazy & obese from my point of view.

Loyal
I guess I will be the one to knock the hornets nest off the branch here :)

The very first commandment given by God was not one of the 10 commandments.
It was... "be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth" - Gen 1:28; ( Gen 9:7; after Noah and the Ark)
In Gen 3:16; God says there will be pain in childbirth, and you will bring forth children.
Yet... your desire will be for your husband... and he will rule over you. (how's that for sexist?)

It was so important that if a man died without having children, it was his brothers responsibility
to marry his widow and have children for him (thus carrying on the family name). Matt 22:24; Mark 12:19;
Luke 20:28;

2 Cor 12:14; says children aren't responsible for making sure their parents are saved, but parents are responsible
for making sure their children are saved. ( Eph 6:4; Col 3:21; )

1 Tim 2:15; says women will be preserved through the bearing of children... (if they continue in faith, love... )

In Bible times, women were not permitted to own anything really. They could not own a household, or estate
or even land. If they had no husband, and no sons for these things to get passed onto... they usually lost
everything. (Ruth is a good example of this).

In the Bible... women or sometimes regarded a little lower than men.
In 1 Cor 14:34-35; it says women are not allowed to be speakers in the church, but if they
want to learn anything learn it from their husbands.

1 Tim 2:11-12; says a woman must learn in quiet submissiveness. A woman is not allowed to be
in a position of authority over a man.

1 Tim 5:8; says that a man who doesn't provide for his own family... has denied the faith and is worse than
an unbeliever.

God made men and women differently. Not just physically, but psychologically and emotionally.
God made men to be providers and protectors. The consensus of Bible times was God made women
primarily to make children.

The Bible doesn't say women can't work.... indeed many women in the Bible worked.
Many were involved in ministry. (But rarely in a position over men),

But still God commanded us to multiply and have children. I can tell you as the father of four children...
it is work!!! (and I wasn't even the stay at home mom). Raising children is probably the hardest job in
the world. (this is coming from an ex-fireman).

So then... it isn't working that's an issue with many women. It's getting paid for the work.
Being a stay at home mom doesn't pay real well. However putting children in daycare and
pre-school isn't cheap either. Usually the mom has to have a pretty good job paying quite
a bit above minimum wage in order for childcare to work out.
If you have two or three children it costs a small fortune for pre-school and child care.

Kids are expensive. That take up a lot of time. They keep women from being independent and free.
If you have a good husband he will help as much as possible in the raising of children. (at least he should).

Which comes back to either... I don't want to have children. Or perhaps the father can take care of the
children while the mother works.

This is a very sore subject these days. But generally men get paid more than women. (is that fair?)
Men tend to be disciplinarians. Women tend to be more nurturing and well... frankly "maternal".
(Woman have breasts to feed children, men don't).

If you never intend on having children, it isn't that big of an issue.
But if you are having children... who is raising them? Atheists in the school?
Violent video games? Sexually explicit television? Innuendo laced meme's and texting?
Grandma who already raised her children? But is stuck raising the grand-children because
mom needs freedom.

Children today have lost the ability to respect, to communicate, to be responsible, and even
to know how to work hard. Many of today's young people feel like they are entitled to everything.
I feel this is mostly due to a lack of real parenting.

So now that I've put myself out there... let the knives are arrows fly. I don't necessarily agree
with everything I just mentioned (unequal pay for example). But is is a fact of life nontheless.

Active
Love it, love it love it!!! I was hoping you would chime in B-A-C!!! It's always refreshing to hear your view on the subjects that randomly pop into my head.

I really like & agree with what you said here:

"Children today have lost the ability to respect, to communicate, to be responsible, and even
to know how to work hard. Many of today's young people feel like they are entitled to everything.
I feel this is mostly due to a lack of real parenting."

I also feel that a woman has to work if the responsibility of bills consume the household. Kids or no kids. I myself have always worked. If I didn't work, I didn't eat. That is the way I have raised my own daughter. Since I decided to have only one child I could give here the time, skills & funds she needed. More than that to me is taking from the others. UNLESS digits are added to the yearly income. So many people will work a minimum wage job & realize AFTER the fact that kids are NOT cheap. Not only are they not cheap but they are not to be pushed off to the television, vidiot game & what not. TIME is the main opponent. I made it work for her & I. I did however make mistakes but I never thought of having more. It just wasn't in my budget & I didn't want to take time away from her.

I didn't think the statement "A woman is to stay home" was in the Bible. I DO get the whole "have kids to populate the earth" and moms should stay home to care for the kids & the home. It just really hurts my heart to see this man (my brother) work endless hours for piddly pay while his wife just sits & gains more & more weight. She's 14 years older than he is. Really bossy, dominant, know it all, greedy & down right obnoxious. My brother has no say, no money (because SHE controls every single dime yet doesn't work for a penny of it) and he just goes to his room & reads his Bible & prays 90% of the time. I pray for him daily & will continue to. SOMETHING HAS GOT TO GIVE! They have been together for 24 years now & it has been this way as soon as they said "I do". My mom who has recently passed didn't like her much at all because of the controlling bossy loud way that she is. Not only to others but especially to my brother. Not many people like my sister-in-law because of how she is & has always been.

It just hurts me to see my brother get treated less than a man. He's a God fearing man that honestly LOVES the Lord. His wife however ... Her fruits are that of a worldly soul. But she will claim differently.

Anywho, that is all I have to say for now. I like hearing back with Biblical confirmations. Thanks again B-A-C!!! You always seem to come at the right time :)

Active
I guess I will be the one to knock the hornets nest off the branch here :)

The very first commandment given by God was not one of the 10 commandments.
It was... "be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth" - Gen 1:28; ( Gen 9:7; after Noah and the Ark)
In Gen 3:16; God says there will be pain in childbirth, and you will bring forth children.
Yet... your desire will be for your husband... and he will rule over you. (how's that for sexist?)

It was so important that if a man died without having children, it was his brothers responsibility
to marry his widow and have children for him (thus carrying on the family name). Matt 22:24; Mark 12:19;
Luke 20:28;

2 Cor 12:14; says children aren't responsible for making sure their parents are saved, but parents are responsible
for making sure their children are saved. ( Eph 6:4; Col 3:21; )

1 Tim 2:15; says women will be preserved through the bearing of children... (if they continue in faith, love... )

In Bible times, women were not permitted to own anything really. They could not own a household, or estate
or even land. If they had no husband, and no sons for these things to get passed onto... they usually lost
everything. (Ruth is a good example of this).

In the Bible... women or sometimes regarded a little lower than men.
In 1 Cor 14:34-35; it says women are not allowed to be speakers in the church, but if they
want to learn anything learn it from their husbands.

1 Tim 2:11-12; says a woman must learn in quiet submissiveness. A woman is not allowed to be
in a position of authority over a man.

1 Tim 5:8; says that a man who doesn't provide for his own family... has denied the faith and is worse than
an unbeliever.

God made men and women differently. Not just physically, but psychologically and emotionally.
God made men to be providers and protectors. The consensus of Bible times was God made women
primarily to make children.

The Bible doesn't say women can't work.... indeed many women in the Bible worked.
Many were involved in ministry. (But rarely in a position over men),

But still God commanded us to multiply and have children. I can tell you as the father of four children...
it is work!!! (and I wasn't even the stay at home mom). Raising children is probably the hardest job in
the world. (this is coming from an ex-fireman).

So then... it isn't working that's an issue with many women. It's getting paid for the work.
Being a stay at home mom doesn't pay real well. However putting children in daycare and
pre-school isn't cheap either. Usually the mom has to have a pretty good job paying quite
If you have two or three children it costs a small fortune for pre-school and child care.

Kids are expensive. That take up a lot of time. They keep women from being independent and free.
If you have a good husband he will help as much as possible in the raising of children. (at least he should).

Which comes back to either... I don't want to have children. Or perhaps the father can take care of the
children while the mother works.

This is a very sore subject these days. But generally men get paid more than women. (is that fair?)
Men tend to be disciplinarians. Women tend to be more nurturing and well... frankly "maternal".
(Woman have breasts to feed children, men don't).

If you never intend on having children, it isn't that big of an issue.
But if you are having children... who is raising them? Atheists in the school?
Violent video games? Sexually explicit television? Innuendo laced meme's and texting?
Grandma who already raised her children? But is stuck raising the grand-children because
mom needs freedom.

Children today have lost the ability to respect, to communicate, to be responsible, and even
I feel this is mostly due to a lack of real parenting.

So now that I've put myself out there... let the knives are arrows fly. I don't necessarily agree
with everything I just mentioned (unequal pay for example). But is is a fact of life nontheless.
I agree, well said. I think most Christian men I've met agree with you when reminded of this position, but they feel
scared in a anti-male world to speak up. They feel they will be labeled a sexist.

Perhaps I'm steering this thread in a slightly different direction(but I don't think so), if so feel free to grab
the steering wheel and put us back on course LORDKnows.

I'm reminded of how the women's rights movement has gotten hijacked by the enemy and seems to be misguided.
Don't get me wrong, I believe men and women are equal and joint heirs with Christ to the riches of God, but we have
different roles. One is not better than the other, just different.

Just like the left hand isn't better than the right hand, it is different and we work best with a left hand and and right hand
as they work together just as they were made. The hand isn't better than the foot, or vice versa, they are different and
we are better for having hands and feet(not all hands or all feet) working together to help us be productive. Sure the
hands can show that they too are strong and we can walk on our hands. And sure the feet can show that they
have dexterity and we can write or play the piano with our feet, but that is not what they were designed for.
The same is the case with men and woman. If God wanted us to have interchangeable roles, why make male
and female? He could have just made us all one sex(gender) and we could have sexual reproductions
with anyone, but in His infinite wisdom God made one human being, and then split us into two parts. He
made Eve from the rib of Adam and this is why in marriage Jesus says the two shall become one flesh.
In marriage we get reconnected to be the one flesh that we were in the beginning.

One flesh with two different but complimentary parts. Men and women are made to complete each other which means that
males inherently lack something that women have, and women inherently lack somethings that men have.
If a women being made to be in tuned with her emotions, smarter than men due to their female intuition and
ability to use both sides of their brains, changes to be like a task oriented man, laser focused man, she is robbing that man
of a much needed opposite part of him that he needs to complete himself. Its like the left hand trying to be
like the right hand because it feels left out, why do I need two right hands?

And this next one might be far out their but since B-A-C dropped the hornets nest, I might as well stomp on it
and get these hornets going. When you first hear this you will say He's crazy, then after listening you might
think, well there might be a point here. So even with women's right to vote. Ok hear me out. So I was thinking,
it may be very difficult for us Americans to understand this but other places in the world there is more of
a corporate or family sense of decision making. So in our individualistic, "let me do what I want to do," USA,
its difficult for many to understand. So what if each family voted as a whole for one candiate? The kids are under
18 so they don't get a vote, which leaves just the man of the household (with the guidance of his wife of course)
to cast a vote to represent the best interest of the family. What is the point of both the husband and the wife
voting for two different candidates when they are in the same household. Jousha 24:15 reads, "But if
serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve,
whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose
land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua didn't say, I vote
to serve God but my wives vote is for Baal, and the kids votes for King whats his name, etc.
He voted for his full family when the clans of Israel gathered to vote in that moment.
The splitting up of the votes actually brings division and promotes individualism and the thinking of
what is best for me, instead of what is best for my family and trusting the leadership in the family.

I do feel bad for women because society puts too much pressure on them to do it all. Society pressures
women to be feminine and sexy and look attractive all the time, now that might not seem too bad, but
on top of that woman are tasked with also being physically strong like men, being forced to play sports
to prove to the boys that they are strong too. Being encouraged to drop the doll babies and the cooking
and home economics classes to take up computer programming and business classes to prove to the guys
that they too can make it in the business world.

I don't have any doubt in my mind that women can do just about anything a guy can do. That is not a question.
My thought is should they pursue that? I have yet to come across a guy in my personal life who was jealous
because women got the privilege of giving child birth or had the privilege of breast feeding, or wearing skirts. Mary, the mother of
Jesus was highly favored and what an honor to give birth to Jesus. Yet even though many straight(oppose to trans gendered)
guys are content with just being a guy, many women have this pressure on them not only to be
feminine, but to be masculine and they need to also wear the pants, and do everything a guy can do as well to prove something.

This is happening right now in our country with a push for women to go into active combat roles in the military. They are also pushing for women
to be included to register for selective service, so in the event the draft was re-instated women(mothers, wives, daughters) would
also be drafted and pulled from their children to serve in combat.

Society forgets that as Christian men, we value women. We love them and honor them and want to keep them safe. If men are
going out to battle as it has always been. It is not because women are not able to fight, but because we want to keep our wives
and daughters safe and out of harms way. The same when a guy opens a door for a lady. Many ladies use to take this
as a sign of respect and chivalry, but nowadays some women feel insulted and their response is, "I can't get my own door."
They respond this way because they think the action of the guy is because they are of less value, but it is actually the total
opposite, because the value of a woman is so high and precious we as men want to protect women, we want to open the door
for you, we want to go to war why you are safe at home, we want to work and provide when you are in the comfortable
air conditioning at home. It would be analogous to Jesus telling us that He loves us so much that we is willing to come
and die in our place, and us responding to Jesus, "So you think I'm weak? Don't die for my sins, I can die for my own sins.
I'm just as able as you are." As twisted as that sounds that is how the enemy(devil) wants to twist the gender roles in our
society trying to have women do it all (have the best of male and female qualities) while most men are just comfortable being men.

When women try to do it all, they burn themselves out.

When women try to do it all, they rob men of meeting the specific voids that men have that God designed women to meet.
Remember we(men) need a lot of help. Which is why God said, "The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18. Women are made to help men, because we need a lot of help, and men want to protect the
valuable helper that God has given us.

When women try to do it all children suffer.

And when women try to do it all God's design is not follow. Let us trust the master architect. He didn't err on this one.

Loyal
I cant help but admire and like women who work hard when they are at the workplace. I have a harder time respecting women who want to be paid without doing a whole lot of work, or only want to tell other people what to do.

Loyal
WHERE in the Bible does it say this? I have a REALLY hard time swallowing this saying or verse or scripture if it is in fact even written in the Bible. I understand women aren't going to do manual labor like a man (in some cases they do) but to just sit at home while the man works - What if bills pile up, utilities get shut off, the house is near foreclosure - Does the "woman still stay home" & not contribute to take some of the heavy load off from her husband? Does is even make sense that one income just isn't enough & that the woman HAS to work in order to keep a roof over BOTH of their heads? Someone I know has a average job making maybe 10$ an hour - The utilities are always near shut-off, the mortgage is always late, they can't afford much of anything but when I tell her that a job for her is a great idea she replies with "We believe that the woman stays home". Her kid bearing days have long ended. No need to stay at home & bob babies on her lap anymore. They have grown up & moved out. So now what? She's as big around as she is tall yet has no problem watching her husband come home late hours after working 13 plus hours a day. How can ANYONE add to the stress & not want to help with taking some of the load off? Even if her husband worked around the clock at his job the ends would never meet because it's not a career is a basic job.

To me, This is nothing more than a statement made by a woman that doesn't care that her husband is working long dreadful hours, doesn't care that he's exhausted & really doesn't care much about his well being at all because she is too lazy to get off the couch & work to help the husband. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

I would really like to know where it states this anywhere - Sounds like a cop out to be lazy & obese from my point of view.
Has it occurred to you, dear lady, that maybe Christians have it all wrong here? Are we really supposed to work to 'make a living'? How then does faith come in? Jehovah Jireh, God is my provider. Are we supposed to be our own providers? No, we are not. We are to be looking to our provider for all of our needs....We work so we have something to give to those who need it...Ephesians 4:28
We are to labor, but for what?, to accomplish what?
Hebrews 4:10-12 (CJB) 10 For the one who has entered God’s rest has also rested from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Therefore, let us do our best to enter that rest; so that no one will fall short because of the same kind of disobedience. So here is the work we are to do....Labor to enter in to His rest.....His quiet place....
I know, somebody will throw this verse at me and say that 'if he will not work, he should not eat'....and his doctrine is built on this one verse. Look at these though.
Psalms 55:22 - Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

1 Peter 5:7 - Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Matthew 11:28 - Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Isaiah 41:10 - Fear thou not; for I [am] with thee: be not dismayed; for I [am] thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

1 Peter 5:6-7 - 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. Caring is HIS job not yours.

Philippians 4:7 - And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

John 16:33 - These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

James 1:2-4 - My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. (consistent consistency)

4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

Philippians 4:6-7 - Be careful (full of care/fear) for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving (why thanksgiving? Because you get to see the things God does for you) let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

1 John 4:18 - There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

James 1:12 - Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

1 Peter 5:1-14 - The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: (Read More...)

Psalms 62:8 - Trust in him at all times; [ye] people, pour out your heart before him: God [is] a refuge for us. Selah.

The doctrines taught by the organized churches in not right and yes! It is sexist if you like.. but hey! Sexist is not part of Love anyway and is to be ignored...

Here is another thought....If your hugsband works hard and puts all of his earnings into the family coffers, it is not enough to live on, so you go out to work and put all your earnings into the family coffers....with the costs of living constantly increasing faster than income increases it is not enough....You are still working hard, not in faith, and putting your money into a bag with holes in it...You cannot win in Satans financial system.
Your choice is clear....live by faith...cast your cares on Him for He does the caring for you....Or fight the enemy on his own terms and lose.

Loyal
If your hugsband works hard and puts all of his earnings into the family coffers, it is not enough to live on, so you go out to work and put all your earnings into the family coffers....with the costs of living constantly increasing faster than income increases it is not enough....
Yes, I think this happens more and more often in today's economy... however....

On the other hand... many of us have 4 cars. 3 Televisions. 4 video game consoles. Cable television,
broadband internet, several high $$$ cell phones, motorcycles, four-wheelers, ATV's, snowmobiles,
jet-skis, vacations to Europe and Hawaii.... and complain about being in debt.
Some even blame God for not providing all that they ..."need".

I know people that go to $300 sporting events, and own $7500 bicycles, and only buy
name brand clothes and shoes.

They've never donated to charity, orphanages, food-banks, or to foreign missions, and usually don't
give anything to the church. When you ask them why... it's because they don't have enough $$$
to do so. :|

Active
However putting children in daycare and
You don't necessarily need day care. My wife hasn't worked in years, but when we were young she did. We worked opposite shifts, so that there was always someone home with the kids. We never left our kids with strangers.

Loyal
You don't necessarily need day care. My wife hasn't worked in years, but when we were young she did. We worked opposite shifts, so that there was always someone home with the kids. We never left our kids with strangers.
You should say, perhaps, that your wife has not worked away from the home in years...I was a miner for many years and worked 14 hour days...My wife was raising our four kids and I know beyond doubt that she worked far harder than I did... Keeping house, cooking meals, planning them, shopping, laundry ad infinitum I worked a fourteen hour day and she never stopped....No doubt your wife was the same. You might ask her?

Loyal
Whatever you decide, go to God and find out His will first...
How can we ever fulfill Gods Plan for our life if we do not seek Him on the choices we have to make?
How can we become all God has desired us to be if we fail to include God in everything about us

another thing? The dangerous thing about going outside of Gods will to get what you want is that you have to stay outside of His will to keep it.

Active
LOL I already have a book in the works....why don't you write it?
I could write it but, I'm occupied with writing these devotionals here at my job. Hey, if the LORD leads me I will.

I was thinking again though, that is not always true though. The quote.
For example, Sara(Abraham's Wife) went outside of God's will to get a son (Ishamel ), but she didn't have to stay out of His will
to keep her son, though making the first step outside led to a lot of heartache.

Or, David went outside of God's WILL to marry Bathsheba, but he was able to keep her , even though Bathsheba's child by David was struck with a severe illness and died a few days after birth, which the king accepted as his punishment.

So it seems that sometimes God's Grace may allow us to keep something obtained by methods contrary to His WILL, but not until after a price it seems has been paid by the natural consequences of sin.