Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Women as breadwinners

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Fragrant Grace, Sep 12, 2017.

?

Who should be the primary breadwinner in a family

1. The huband

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. The wife

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It doesnt matter in this modern society

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. #1 Fragrant Grace, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Is it right that married women with dependent children should be the sole breadwinner?

Should the husband be the breadwinner for the family?

Are there any scriptures that answer this?

2. Education, qualification, employment opportunities, financial obligations, raising pre-school children, are some of the things which will determine who will become the breadwinner. Meaning, the person who brings in the most energy (money) towards raising a family. Ego ought not to be the governing factor in a relationship, especially when children are involved. IMHO

3. Thank you @Peter

I was really looking for some scriptural answers.

4. The initial question of women does not specify marriage whereas the mention of a husband does. The first question could be understood in one of two scenarios: single mothers, or wives. Proverbs 31 only mentions a woman or wife who keeps herself busy, but not necessarily a wife who needs to work. Today's demographics aren't much different other than families have priced themselves into the trap of thinking more money means prosperity. It does mean having more to spend, but it also means having to earn more.

I can understand women with young children wanting to stay home, but someone who has free time could contribute, or at least do something productive. The afternoon soaps came about as a result of bored wives with little to do and the Entertainment industry stepped in to fill the void. Irresponsible leadership on the part of the husbands? Or, lazy wives? Or, both?

Fragrant Grace likes this.
  5. Thank you @Shutterbug

I will reword that first question.

Thankyou for your reply and for referencing Proverbs 31

6. I thought BOTH mum and dad 'breadwin' i.e provide for their children. If the wife is widowed well yes it then does fall on her to be the sole provider BUT as we read in the Bible God can help with that, there is a story about the widow with the jars of oil, and how much faith she had in God to provide.

Proverbs 31 shows the wife looks after the needs of her household, her children and her maids.

Other proverbs all say that laziness is not a virtue.

So, not really sure what you are asking. I can't imagine a household that is functional if dad does all the work and mum sits around doing nothing, or mum does all the work and dad sits around doing nothing. There are times when maybe one is sick and cannot do any work at all, but that's why you work it out between you and look after each other.

7. 1 Tim 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

We can't apply this verse to a female if there is a man in the house, as scripture is clear that the man is the ruler of the household.

However, Paul is crystal clear in 1 Cor 6 that we can judge matters. So our 'opinion' on a woman being the sole breadwinner in differing circumstance does carry weight. We should listen to the majority view of spirit filled believers.
    In this instance I would say the consensus be clear that the husband should be looking for work, helping in other ways. Parents have joint responsibility.

8. Just in response to the third option in the poll ''It doesn't matter in this modern society''. It actually does matter. If we say it doesn't, we are heading in a direction of rebellion to God.

It is quite a discussion but the argument goes along similar lines as the homosexual argument. Namely as Rom 1:26 says, ''even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones''.

Mothers should be able to stay at home with children. Or at least have a half day job. The only time she should feel forced to seek employment is if the husband does not bring in enough.

9. Staying home with children is actually work - housework. It's just not paid the same way as outside work is. Plus its a 24/7 job.

I would say mum stays at home and does NOT look after her own children then mum must be very rich and paying a nanny to look after them, or she's neglecting them.

If she's going out to work and the children are being left at home with nobody to look after them then call CYFs. If the husband is not providing enough well then yea there is a problem!

There are also women who aren't prudent with their household expenses but she would have chosen badly if her husband can't provide the basics. Which is why the whole Christian temperance movement came about, and women got the vote, because men who were meant to be good husbands were drinking and gambling away all their money and beating up their wives and children. So women were forced to work to make up for the shortfall...everything that was meant to be the children's bread was being spent on drink.

The shame!
    But that's the crux of it. Men who cannot provide for their household are worse than infidels and should never be married because their wives and children will suffer. Also see Proverbs 19:14 - if you've inherited wealth, well that's a blessing but you cannot waste it just cos you may come from money.

10. Last century Women only really got the opportunity to go outside of the home to work because in world war 2 all the men were drafted into war and there were no workers. I don't know what the children did. I think back then child labour laws weren't in place.

Some workplaces specifically only wanted married women to work because they had families to provide for. Single women were not considered. Presumably the children were looked after by grandparents or aunties and uncles.

So..you can blame world war 2 for the current state of the economy, industrialisation and the reason why ALL women are just expected to work and earn now. In schools nobody ever teaches anyone on how to be a mum or dad.

Its got to be even if you are a solo mother and the dad has left for whatever reason, the govt won't provide a benefit for your child so you can eat. You have to go out and find work even if that means leaving your child at daycare.