• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Wisdom

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Wisdom is a great thing to have. I often don't have enough of it, that's for sure.
But wisdom by itself isn't always helpful either.

For example we have Solomon.....
1 Kin 10:23; So King Solomon became greater than all the kings of the earth in riches and in wisdom.
1 Kin 4:29 Now God gave Solomon wisdom and very great discernment and breadth of mind, like the sand that is on the seashore.

It says here that Solomon was greater in wisdom than all the kings of the earth. He had great discernment
and wisdom of mind. Sometimes I wish I could be like that. (is that envy :smile: )

...and yet despite all this wisdom, Solomon turned away from God at the end of his life.

1 Kin 11:4; For when Solomon was old, his wives turned his heart away after other gods; and his heart was not wholly devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.

Neh 13:26; "Did not Solomon king of Israel sin regarding these things? Yet among the many nations there was no king like him, and he was loved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel; nevertheless the foreign women caused even him to sin.

... "he was loved by his God" ....

2 Sam 12:24; Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and went in to her and lay with her; and she gave birth to a son, and he named him Solomon. Now the LORD loved him

.... "Now the LORD loved him" ...

We can't say that God didn't love Solomon. But even though God loved Solomon,

1 Kin 11:1; Now King Solomon loved many foreign women along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women,

Solomon loved other women, who turned his heart away from God and turned him to other gods.

=======================================================================================

The Bible says a lot about wisdom.

Psa 51:6; Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.

Psa 111:10; The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.

Prov 1:7; The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

We are even told to "acquire wisdom"

Prov 4:5; Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth.

Prov 8:11; "For wisdom is better than jewels; And all desirable things cannot compare with her.

It's interesting the word "wisdom" appears in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes over 50 times, (which were both
written by Solomon).

Jesus Himself increased and grew in wisdom.

Luke 2:40; The Child continued to grow and become strong, increasing in wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.
Luke 2:52; And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

========================================================================================

1st Corinthians starts off talking about worldly wisdom....

1 Cor 1:19; For it is written, "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE, AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE."
1 Cor 1:20; Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
1 Cor 1:21; For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
1 Cor 1:22; For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;

How much does this apply to the world today? We think we have because wise in our own eyes.
We think we know better than God. The world looks for signs and wisdom, but they never look to the
real source of wisdom to get it.

But wisdom is a two-edged sword. Our faith should not be based on "the wisdom of men".

1 Cor 2:5; so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

1 Cor 3:19; For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God. For it is written, "He is THE ONE WHO CATCHES THE WISE IN THEIR CRAFTINESS";

... but still it's better to have wisdom than be without it.

Eph 1:7; In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace
Eph 1:8; which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight
Eph 1:9; He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him

He lavishes wisdom and insight upon us. He makes the mystery of His will known to us.

We can pray for wisdom, and we can even pray for others to get wisdom.

Eph 1:16; do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.
Eph 1:18; I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

Col 2:2; that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself,
Col 2:3; in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Col 2:4; I say this so that no one will delude you with persuasive argument.

One great promise about wisdom is given by James.

Jas 1:5; But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

... so with all the warnings about wisdom, how can we tell if it's from God or from demons?

Jas 3:13; Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.
Jas 3:14; But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth.
Jas 3:15; This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic.
Jas 3:16; For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.
Jas 3:17; But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.

There is a lot more that could be said about this, but this is a good start I think.

Loyal
Wisdom is a great thing to have. I often don't have enough of it, that's for sure.
But wisdom by itself isn't always helpful either.

For example we have Solomon.....
1 Kin 10:23; So King Solomon became greater than all the kings of the earth in riches and in wisdom.
1 Kin 4:29 Now God gave Solomon wisdom and very great discernment and breadth of mind, like the sand that is on the seashore.

It says here that Solomon was greater in wisdom than all the kings of the earth. He had great discernment
and wisdom of mind. Sometimes I wish I could be like that. (is that envy :smile: )

...and yet despite all this wisdom, Solomon turned away from God at the end of his life.

1 Kin 11:4; For when Solomon was old, his wives turned his heart away after other gods; and his heart was not wholly devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.

Neh 13:26; "Did not Solomon king of Israel sin regarding these things? Yet among the many nations there was no king like him, and he was loved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel; nevertheless the foreign women caused even him to sin.

... "he was loved by his God" ....

2 Sam 12:24; Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and went in to her and lay with her; and she gave birth to a son, and he named him Solomon. Now the LORD loved him

.... "Now the LORD loved him" ...

We can't say that God didn't love Solomon. But even though God loved Solomon,

1 Kin 11:1; Now King Solomon loved many foreign women along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women,

Solomon loved other women, who turned his heart away from God and turned him to other gods.

=======================================================================================

The Bible says a lot about wisdom.

Psa 51:6; Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.

Psa 111:10; The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.

Prov 1:7; The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

We are even told to "acquire wisdom"

Prov 4:5; Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth.

Prov 8:11; "For wisdom is better than jewels; And all desirable things cannot compare with her.

It's interesting the word "wisdom" appears in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes over 50 times, (which were both
written by Solomon).

Jesus Himself increased and grew in wisdom.

Luke 2:40; The Child continued to grow and become strong, increasing in wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.
Luke 2:52; And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

========================================================================================

1st Corinthians starts off talking about worldly wisdom....

1 Cor 1:19; For it is written, "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE, AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE."
1 Cor 1:20; Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
1 Cor 1:21; For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
1 Cor 1:22; For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;

How much does this apply to the world today? We think we have because wise in our own eyes.
We think we know better than God. The world looks for signs and wisdom, but they never look to the
real source of wisdom to get it.

But wisdom is a two-edged sword. Our faith should not be based on "the wisdom of men".

1 Cor 2:5; so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

1 Cor 3:19; For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God. For it is written, "He is THE ONE WHO CATCHES THE WISE IN THEIR CRAFTINESS";

... but still it's better to have wisdom than be without it.

Eph 1:7; In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace
Eph 1:8; which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight
Eph 1:9; He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him

He lavishes wisdom and insight upon us. He makes the mystery of His will known to us.

We can pray for wisdom, and we can even pray for others to get wisdom.

Eph 1:16; do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.
Eph 1:18; I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

Col 2:2; that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself,
Col 2:3; in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Col 2:4; I say this so that no one will delude you with persuasive argument.

One great promise about wisdom is given by James.

Jas 1:5; But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

... so with all the warnings about wisdom, how can we tell if it's from God or from demons?

Jas 3:13; Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.
Jas 3:14; But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth.
Jas 3:15; This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic.
Jas 3:16; For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.
Jas 3:17; But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.

There is a lot more that could be said about this, but this is a good start I think.
Wisdom without self discipline is wasted

Loyal
Jesus Christ is the Wisdom, and power of God!!! (1 Cor 1:24)

There is nothing any man can desire that is better than Wisdom. It is the principle thing among every thing. It will give you long life. It will place a crown of glory upon your head. It will make you very happy. It will bring you to honor. Wisdom will keep, and protect you. (Proverbs 4)