• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Will OF God

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Peter 2:1
For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people

1 Thessalonians 4:3
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;

I could only find 3 versus in the entire bible that clearly tell us WHAT the will of God is. Perhaps I missed some?? perhaps he likes to keep it simple for us? Perhaps if you do these things everything else will just fall into place?

Staff Member
Here's another for your list you can add Brother Dave. :smile:

"For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.
" John 6:38-40

Loyal
Mark 3:35; [COLOR=red]"For whoever does the will of God, he is My brother and sister and mother." [/COLOR]

Rom 12:2; And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Eph 6:5; Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ;
Eph 6:6; not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.

Col 4:12; Epaphras, who is one of your number, a bondslave of Jesus Christ, sends you his greetings, always laboring earnestly for you in his prayers, that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all the will of God.

1 Jn 2:17; The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

Loyal
HI Bac

most of those do not state what the Will of God is some of them do so thats great

Active
Check out John 4:35-38

God wants us to reap where He has sowed.

Jesus also says to Peter...feed my sheep, feed my lambs. Jesus started this work, we are called to finish it.

Active
@Dave M I searched that phrase this morning! I zeroed in on those same three verses in your OP as to clearly telling us what the will of God for us is, but here's a couple that are semi-clear:

1Pe 4:19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. (sometimes it's His will for us to suffer)

1 Peter 3:17 For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. (sometimes it's His will, and it's better for us to suffer because we're doing the right thing instead of the wrong thing)

One thing that stood out to me when I searched the phrase "will of God" on my Bible phone app this morning was that every mention of that phrase is in the New Testament. No OT "will of God" hits came up.

Active
I agree. Maybe there is a verse for this one : God's will is for us to believe in his son and accept his spirit in us and, if you do this...everything will fall into place!

Least amongst the Best
Staff Member
Greetings,

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Peter 2:1
For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people

1 Thessalonians 4:3
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;

I could only find 3 versus in the entire bible that clearly tell us WHAT the will of God is. Perhaps I missed some?? perhaps he likes to keep it simple for us? Perhaps if you do these things everything else will just fall into place?
Perhaps we can come at this from another direction?

From Isaiah 30:18 Therefore the LORD longs to be gracious to you, And therefore He waits on high to have compassion on you. For the LORD is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who long for Him.

which we find here in the New Testament,
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2Peter 3:9

which is echoed also here
"Say to them, 'As I live!' declares the Lord GOD, 'I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?' Ezekiel 33:11

Perhaps these are part of the vine we find in
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Matthew 6:9-10 in that as a vine spreads forth her branches, so the Scripture, all branches of the True, spread out, and out and out and we find in them all the common root , being the LORD Who is Love.

Again we might consider these Scriptures, too
See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey His voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto Him: for He is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
Deuteronomy 30:15-20

Other Scriptures echo this desire or will of God. While the actual word 'will' may not be used, what it conveys is written.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Michah 6:8

and as previously added,
And this is the will of Him that sent Me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:40

Bless you ....><>

Least amongst the Best
Staff Member
And this will we do, if God permit. Hebrews 6:3

Greetings again,

if you are simply after verses mentioning the 'will' of God,
From Acts 21:10-14
And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.
Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.

Acts 18:19-21 And he (Paul) came to Ephesus, and left them there: but he himself entered into the synagogue, and reasoned with the Jews. When they desired him to tarry longer time with them, he consented not; But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus.

Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you. But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power. For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness? 1Corinthians 4:18-21

Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow.
For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 1For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. James 4:13-17

Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me; That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints; That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed.
Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
Romans 15:30-33

Bless you ....><>

Least amongst the Best
Staff Member
Greetings Dave,

I re-read your post and where you said:

Perhaps if you do these things everything else will just fall into place?
yes, you could be right. The people being written to certainly didn't have oodles of Bibles to check out and try to make decisions about, but with simplicity and doing the will of God in these areas, according to the context given, would find a lot less things falling out of place in their own walk and faith. That is not to say that they would not suffer death for their faith but rather that they would not become weakened when the persecution against them personally began. Likewise, those who practice such things are an encouragement and light to others.

We all need that.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
BEar great insight thanks for sharing, yes I was after versus that explain the will of God thanks for taking the time to respond.

From Isaiah 30:18 Therefore the LORD longs to be gracious to you, And therefore He waits on high to have compassion on you. For the LORD is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who long for Him.

I love that.

Least amongst the Best
Staff Member
[COLOR=#330066]For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; that being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.[/COLOR]
Titus 3:3-7

Greetings,

I love that.
Yes, Brother, yes! And what a pleasant longing it is! Who can express in words such longing? It is something we know and binds us together as we wait ...

Bless you ....><>

Titus 2:13-15
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.