• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Widows

Loyal
I've read this several times before, I'm not sure why it caught my attention tonight, but it seems we are given direction about widows.

1 Tim 5:3; Honor widows who are widows indeed;
1 Tim 5:4; but if any widow has children or grandchildren, they must first learn to practice piety in regard to their own family and to make some return to their parents; for this is acceptable in the sight of God.

It seems that if woman's husband dies, and she has children or grandchildren, they should be responsible for her and help help her.

1 Tim 5:5; Now she who is a widow indeed and who has been left alone, has fixed her hope on God and continues in entreaties and prayers night and day.
1 Tim 5:6; But she who gives herself to wanton pleasure is dead even while she lives.

There are of course some women who would rather "play" than "pray". Promiscuous women may not realize the price of playing this game.

1 Tim 5:7; Prescribe these things as well, so that they may be above reproach.
1 Tim 5:8; But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

People that refuse to take care of their own family (in this context, their spouseless parent) are "worse than an unbeliever".

1 Tim 5:9; A widow is to be put on the list only if she is not less than sixty years old, having been the wife of one man,
1 Tim 5:10; having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the saints' feet, if she has assisted those in distress, and if she has devoted herself to every good work.

If a widow doesn't have family to help her, the church can help her.
1. If she is at least 60 years old. The wife of "one" man.
2. If she has shown herself to be a godly woman.

1 Tim 5:11; But refuse to put younger widows on the list, for when they feel sensual desires in disregard of Christ, they want to get married,
1 Tim 5:12; thus incurring condemnation, because they have set aside their previous pledge.

The reason younger women shouldn't be on the list is because many "want to get married". Obviously if they have a husband to care and provide for them, they wont need the church to help them. Unfortunately many of them want to "disregard Christ" in order to do this. They are willing to give up their faith, and even be unequally yoked in order to do this. They are even willing to give up their previous "pledge" of faith to Christ to do this.

1 Tim 5:13; At the same time they also learn to be idle, as they go around from house to house; and not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things not proper to mention.
1 Tim 5:14; Therefore, I want younger widows to get married, bear children, keep house, and give the enemy no occasion for reproach;

It's better that they should remarry, the Bible doesn't forbid this, especially in the case of the death of a spouse.

1 Tim 5:15; for some have already turned aside to follow Satan.

It's better that they re-marry than give up their faith to "follow Satan".

1 Tim 5:16; If any woman who is a believer has dependent widows, she must assist them and the church must not be burdened, so that it may assist those who are widows indeed.

It's better for family to take care of widows (i.e. her daughter) than for the church to "be burdened" by this.
The church can help, but family should be the first choice.

.... I think there is more to say about widows, but I haven't really studied this before.

I'm not sure this passage has anything to say about us caring for widows, other than Jesus felt compassion for this widow, enough compassion to rasie her son back to life so that he could take care of her.

Luke 7:11; Soon afterwards He went to a city called Nain; and His disciples were going along with Him, accompanied by a large crowd.
Luke 7:12; Now as He approached the gate of the city, a dead man was being carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow; and a sizeable crowd from the city was with her.
Luke 7:13; When the Lord saw her, He felt compassion for her, and said to her, "Do not weep."
Luke 7:14; And He came up and touched the coffin; and the bearers came to a halt. And He said, "Young man, I say to you, arise!"
Luke 7:15; The dead man sat up and began to speak. And Jesus gave him back to his mother.

... we will see if there is more about widows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
Bac 1 timothy 5:16 in KJV says man or woman. I dont know what version you have there. It cant be just women taking care of widows.

Please check your bible.

Loyal
(ASV) If any woman that believeth hath widows, let her relieve them, and let not the church be burdened; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.
(ESV) If any believing woman has relatives who are widows, let her care for them. Let the church not be burdened, so that it may care for those who are truly widows.
(ESV+) If any believing woman has relatives who are widows, let her care for them. Let the church not be burdened, so that it may care for those R25who are truly widows.
(GW) If any woman is a believer and has relatives who are widows, she should help them. In this way the church is not burdened and can help widows who have no families.
(HCSB) If any believing woman has widows in her family, she should help them, and the church should not be burdened, so that it can help those who are genuinely widows.
(KJV) If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.
(MKJV) If any believing man or believing woman has widows, let them relieve them, and do not let the church be charged, so that it may relieve those who are widows indeed.
(MSG) Any Christian woman who has widows in her family is responsible for them. They shouldn't be dumped on the church. The church has its hands full already with widows who need help.
(NAS77) If any woman who is a believer has dependent widows, let her assist them, and let not the church be burdened, so that it may assist those who are widows indeed.
(NASB) If any woman who is a believer has dependent widows, she must assist them and the church must not be burdened, so that it may assist those who are widows indeed.
(NIrV) Suppose a woman is a believer and has widows in her family. She should help them. She shouldn't let the church pay the expenses. Then the church can help the widows who really need it.
(NIV) If any woman who is a believer has widows in her care, she should continue to help them and not let the church be burdened with them, so that the church can help those widows who are really in need.
(NLT) If a woman who is a believer has relatives who are widows, she must take care of them and not put the responsibility on the church. Then the church can care for the widows who are truly alone.
(RV) If any woman that believeth hath widows, let her relieve them, and let not the church be burdened; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.

None of the original manuscripts in the Greek say "man", but actually I agree with you. Men are obligated also.

Active
Interesting BAC but KJV was translated from the original manuscript so its not likely its been added. The words are not in italics either so its not translational addition. Also KJV was translated BEFORE all these other versions.

What version do you quote from? Can you check its got the full verse of Acts 8:37?

Jesus entrusted Mary's care to John..and Jesus as the eldest son looked after Mary after Joseph passed away although the Bible doesnt specifically say when this happened. We do know Joseph was not at the crucifixtion and never mentioned while Jesus was ministering.
Mary did not marry again that we know of.

Loyal
yes nursing home are full of widows that families stick in there, as there way of taking care of them, are they taking care of them in the way God intended?

1 Timothy 5:8
But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

that is one strong statement right there,

Loyal
(NASB) Act 8:37 [And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."]

Whenever a verse is in brackets or parenthesis, that means it wasn't in the original manuscripts. It was added later by translaters. Some Bibles (like the amplified)
use italics.... for example...

(AMP) 1 Tim 5:16; If any believing woman or believing man has [relatives or persons in the household who are] widows, let him relieve them; let the church not be burdened [with them], so that it may [be free to] assist those who are truly widows (those who are all alone and are dependent).

Interesting BAC but KJV was translated from the original manuscript so its not likely its been added.
The KJV was NOT copied from original manuscripts, it was copied from a translation called the Septuagint.

For that matter, if you really want to get technical, any version of the Bible that isn't Hebrew or Greek is a translation.

Active
(NASB) Act 8:37 [And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."]

Whenever a verse is in brackets or parenthesis, that means it wasn't in the original manuscripts. It was added later by translaters. Some Bibles (like the amplified)
use italics.... for example...

(AMP) 1 Tim 5:16; If any believing woman or believing man has [relatives or persons in the household who are] widows, let him relieve them; let the church not be burdened [with them], so that it may [be free to] assist those who are truly widows (those who are all alone and are dependent).

The KJV was NOT copied from original manuscripts, it was copied from a translation called the Septuagint.

For that matter, if you really want to get technical, any version of the Bible that isn't Hebrew or Greek is a translation.
No actually it says translated from the original tongues eg old testment from Hebrew, New from Greek. You might want to check KJV. It has never omitted anything of scripture that I know of.

Other bibles are translated from the septugint, which is greek from the hebrew and then into latin, and back into english. Not the KJV that sets it apart.

Dont want to argue this but if you quoting scripture it pays to get it right. Ask God if you unsure. He is not the author of confusion.

The kjv only translates from the septugint in the new testament when it is quoted because at the time of Jesus that is what the main language was, greek. That is why there is a slight difference in the syntax and spelling of the verses.

Remember the septugint was the greek translation of the old testament, not the new.

The new testament was mostly letters and they have been copied many times as it was distributed round the churches. Unfortunately as they had been copied, some translations have copied manuscripts that omitted verses. When they say 'original manuscipts' they might be referring to a copy of a copy even though its very old, but they cant say they are the original cos the originals have been used and read so many times and have been falling apart!

As KJV was published before 'scholars' supposedly found the original manuscripts lol. They actually found them in the dustbin...cos they had errors in them lol. They werent 'proof' copies. Its just men think they can make other versions of the bible from these discards when the textus recptus..the recieved text has already been translated lol.

It was not added by translaters what the scholars meant and why they put it in parenthesis is that it was meant to be there but the manuscripts THEY were working from, didnt have it. And it is easy to do cos of page breaks or being cut off or torn.

Which is an omission and and admission on their part, not God!

Otherwise why put it in there. Also if you read scripture, it will build upon it line by line, precept by precept. Scripture does not contradict itself.

Loyal
The King James is a good Bible, I used it alone for many years and still have a couple laying around, but very few people consider it the "most accurate" Bible.
Generally the NASB is considered the most literal translation.

Bible Translation Guide | Mardel check out the word for word chart on the left side of the page.

Translation Comparison Charts

About Translations - Christianbook.com

Which Bible Translation Is Best? All the Good Ones. - LogosTalk

The Most Accurate Bible Translation Comparison KJV vs NIV Bible Study

Gliffy Diagram | English Bible History

Active
Its ok its just KJV is easy to find in print, I dont use others. Thats just me though. I like to stick to one translation instead of 78 different ones. I never really have any problems with it.

God just said to me read this Holy Bible so I did.

I had a NIV study one before and it just confused me no end.