• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why is it. .

We cannot avoid sin in ourselves no matter how much will power we exert.

If this is true then Jesus is not a very loving person. It is not loving, caring or kind to tell someone to do something that they cannot do. Jesus told the woman who was drug out to him for committing adultery to go and never sin again. How cruel it would be to say those words if she, who had not the Holy Spirit dwelling in her, could not actually preform the command.

Your will power is necessary to avoid sin. As you say, we need to think on that which is good, the bible confirms this. Your will chooses to think on something else by the spirit of your mind instead of the carnal mind. These things are all possible through a proper use of the will applied through the direction of the word of God. As Jesus told Nicodemus, you must be born of the spirit as it is the only way to avoid sin. He wasn't speaking of the Holy Spirit as he expected Nicodemus to know this already being the teacher of Israel. The Holy Spirits indwelling ministry wasn't going to start for another 3 years.

A proper use of your will is different than will worship and should be seen as such. Willing to be molded into the image of Jesus by the word of God that reveals to us who he is so that we can willfully walk as he walked though the knowledge of his person. Purifying ourselves as he is pure. As Peter said, we need to read the scripture and take heed of what it says until Christ be formed in us. The take heed part refers to our will to be like him.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

If this is true then Jesus is not a very loving person. It is not loving, caring or kind to tell someone to do something that they cannot do. Jesus told the woman who was drug out to him for committing adultery to go and never sin again. How cruel it would be to say those words if she, who had not the Holy Spirit dwelling in her, could not actually preform the command.

Your will power is necessary to avoid sin. As you say, we need to think on that which is good, the bible confirms this. Your will chooses to think on something else by the spirit of your mind instead of the carnal mind. These things are all possible through a proper use of the will applied through the direction of the word of God. As Jesus told Nicodemus, you must be born of the spirit as it is the only way to avoid sin. He wasn't speaking of the Holy Spirit as he expected Nicodemus to know this already being the teacher of Israel. The Holy Spirits indwelling ministry wasn't going to start for another 3 years.

A proper use of your will is different than will worship and should be seen as such. Willing to be molded into the image of Jesus by the word of God that reveals to us who he is so that we can willfully walk as he walked though the knowledge of his person. Purifying ourselves as he is pure. As Peter said, we need to read the scripture and take heed of what it says until Christ be formed in us. The take heed part refers to our will to be like him.

In Jesus Name,

Gary
You said "If this is true then Jesus is not a very loving person. It is not loving, caring or kind to tell someone to do something that they cannot do. "
Excuse me?! HE told you to do it and HE told you how. ABIDE in HIM!! and you WILL NOT SIN!! Didn't you read the verse?
Abide, or abideth means to wait on, continue in, or figuratively speaking to lean back into. So lean back into HIM and you will not sin.

Its your own will that got you into trouble in the first place why do you want to do your will when you can do HIS?

You said "our will power is necessary to avoid sin. As you say, we need to think on that which is good, the bible confirms this. Your will chooses to think on something else by the spirit of your mind instead of the carnal mind. These things are all possible through a proper use of the will applied through the direction of the word of God"

I'm sorry my friend. This is religious rot. Nothing more. Why do I say that? I say it because it contradicts what JESUS said. HE said abide. You say grit your teeth and do it yourself. Somebody is wrong here, either you or JESUS. I choose you.

The only place for your will is 'I will do it as JESUS said to do it' I will do it with consistent consistency (patience)

You said "If this is true then Jesus is not a very loving person. It is not loving, caring or kind to tell someone to do something that they cannot do. "
Excuse me?! HE told you to do it and HE told you how. ABIDE in HIM!! and you WILL NOT SIN!! Didn't you read the verse?
Abide, or abideth means to wait on, continue in, or figuratively speaking to lean back into. So lean back into HIM and you will not sin.

Its your own will that got you into trouble in the first place why do you want to do your will when you can do HIS?

You said "our will power is necessary to avoid sin. As you say, we need to think on that which is good, the bible confirms this. Your will chooses to think on something else by the spirit of your mind instead of the carnal mind. These things are all possible through a proper use of the will applied through the direction of the word of God"

I'm sorry my friend. This is religious rot. Nothing more. Why do I say that? I say it because it contradicts what JESUS said. HE said abide. You say grit your teeth and do it yourself. Somebody is wrong here, either you or JESUS. I choose you.

The only place for your will is 'I will do it as JESUS said to do it' I will do it with consistent consistency (patience)

Yes, you speak truthfully about abiding in Christ and what WE are taught to do. The woman was told to abide in Christs words....go and sin no more, never again. That is all she had to go on. Your suggesting that all she had to do is believe that what he said she could do and then there would be no need to try and do anything. That goes against much of the teachings of the new testament. There are countless places that speak of what we must will ourselves to do.

You say all you have to do is abide in Christ. What does that look like if it doesn't involve your will?

Yes, you speak truthfully about abiding in Christ and what WE are taught to do. The woman was told to abide in Christs words....go and sin no more, never again. That is all she had to go on. Your suggesting that all she had to do is believe that what he said she could do and then there would be no need to try and do anything. That goes against much of the teachings of the new testament. There are countless places that speak of what we must will ourselves to do.

You say all you have to do is abide in Christ. What does that look like if it doesn't involve your will?

The reason that you are misunderstanding here is that you are using the word "Christ" as though it were JESUS last name. The word christ is one of the few words in the Bible that is still in its original language. Its a Greek word and actually has no meaning in English. Translated to English the word means 'the anointed ONE and HIS anointing' So Abide in HIS anointing wherewith you are anointed, and you will not sin. ¿Entiende? The anointing of JESUS is at work in you, changing you purifiying you, maturing you, loving you.......

yo.

That's how you do it, well done El Hombre viejo.

The key is Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit.

There is no sin in the presence of Jesus Christ.

The reason that you are misunderstanding here is that you are using the word "Christ" as though it were JESUS last name. The word christ is one of the few words in the Bible that is still in its original language. Its a Greek word and actually has no meaning in English. Translated to English the word means 'the anointed ONE and HIS anointing' So Abide in HIS anointing wherewith you are anointed, and you will not sin. ¿Entiende? The anointing of JESUS is at work in you, changing you purifiying you, maturing you, loving you.......

The anointing spoken of is that of the Holy Spirit. Jesus speaking of abiding in him is referencing the fact that he is the Word of God. To abide in him is to willfully fill yourself with his Word. Willfully doing all he has said. To continue in the anointing is to not grieve the Holy Spirit by willfully going against his guidance. It is all about your will which produces your works. You have your part that you must choose to do. Failure to do so will end in being called a worker of iniquity who is told to depart from the Lord.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

The anointing spoken of is that of the Holy Spirit. Jesus speaking of abiding in him is referencing the fact that he is the Word of God. To abide in him is to willfully fill yourself with his Word. Willfully doing all he has said. To continue in the anointing is to not grieve the Holy Spirit by willfully going against his guidance. It is all about your will which produces your works. You have your part that you must choose to do. Failure to do so will end in being called a worker of iniquity who is told to depart from the Lord.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

Very Good!! Now take it further....The WORD...The LOVE of GOD...The ANOINTED ONE...HEALING...PROSPERITY...DELIVERANCE...ANOINTING...POWER...LIGHT...
Studying all of these (who are all the same person) is good but, well put it this way, Knowing about GOD is not knowing GOD.
Anointing, as described in the Bible, can be defined as "God on flesh doing those things that flesh cannot do." It is God doing those things only He can do, and doing them through a flesh-and-blood, earthly vessel (see II Corinthians 4:7).

Luke 4:18-19 Today”, JESUS said. “The Spirit of the LORD is upon me…” Read it.
The Spirit of the LORD was upon HIM…The anointing. What was the Spirit upon HIM to do?
You are anointed to do the same. Are you willing to allow GOD to work through you all the time?

Very Good!! Now take it further....The WORD...The LOVE of GOD...The ANOINTED ONE...HEALING...PROSPERITY...DELIVERANCE...ANOINTING...POWER...LIGHT...
Studying all of these (who are all the same person) is good but, well put it this way, Knowing about GOD is not knowing GOD.
Anointing, as described in the Bible, can be defined as "God on flesh doing those things that flesh cannot do." It is God doing those things only He can do, and doing them through a flesh-and-blood, earthly vessel (see II Corinthians 4:7).

Luke 4:18-19 Today”, JESUS said. “The Spirit of the LORD is upon me…” Read it.
The Spirit of the LORD was upon HIM…The anointing. What was the Spirit upon HIM to do?
You are anointed to do the same. Are you willing to allow GOD to work through you all the time?

I understand what your saying but you misunderstand me. I have no confidence in the flesh but I do have a spirit God gave me other than the Holy Spirit that dwells in me who is the anointing. Every man has a spirit. My spirit is where I must live in order to do that which God has shown me I need to do. I must serve God in the spirit of my mind. The power is of God, yes, but the exertion of death to the flesh and life in the spirit is upon each of us to do. The mistake people make is thinking that every time the bible says spirit that it is talking about the Holy Spirit of God that teaches our spirit.

Gary

I understand what your saying but you misunderstand me. I have no confidence in the flesh but I do have a spirit God gave me other than the Holy Spirit that dwells in me who is the anointing. Every man has a spirit. My spirit is where I must live in order to do that which God has shown me I need to do. I must serve God in the spirit of my mind. The power is of God, yes, but the exertion of death to the flesh and life in the spirit is upon each of us to do. The mistake people make is thinking that every time the bible says spirit that it is talking about the Holy Spirit of God that teaches our spirit.

Gary

Ok I'll let it lay there. :shade: