• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Why does Mary have such a bad-sounding name?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

"And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God." (Luke 1:30)
When I look up the name Mary in the Hebrew, it means 'bitter' or 'their rebellion'. Why does Mary have such a name?

Loyal
Why did Jacob have a name meaning "supplanter" or "deceiver" or "heel holder"? That is what he was, but God gave Jacob the man a new name, Israel, whichn means "God prevails, to which Jacob was very slow to live up to...

We do have something available that Jacob did not have.

Did Mary receive a new name?

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." Rev 2:17

Administrator
Staff Member
Meaning & History

Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) and Μαρια (Maria) - the spellings are interchangeable - which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love".

This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Due to the Virgin Mary this name has been very popular in the Christian world, though at certain times in some cultures it has been considered too holy for everyday use. In England it has been used since the 12th century, and it has been among the most common feminine names since the 16th century. The Latinized form Maria is also used in English as well as in several other languages.

This name has been borne by two queens of England, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots. Another notable bearer was Mary Shelley (1797-1851), the author of 'Frankenstein'. A famous fictional character by this name was Mary Poppins, from the children's books by P. L. Travers.

Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Mary

Loyal
"And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God." (Luke 1:30)
When I look up the name Mary in the Hebrew, it means 'bitter' or 'their rebellion'. Why does Mary have such a name?
Most likely referring to Mary's heart that would be "pierced" at the death of her Son Jesus.

Luk 2:34 And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed
Luk 2:35 (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed."

I can not think of anything more "bitter" than at the death of ones own child.