• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why does God put us through "dry seasons"?

Hello!

I asked my Mom if she has ever felt like she was disconnected from God and she shocked me by saying yes! She said it's called a "dry season" where God, still holding and protecting us, leaves a gap empty enough for us to really "seek Him" and get to know Him on a different level. There are a number of stories in the bible ( like Job ) that describe this concept quite clearly and I truly do understand the meaning. The thing is, I feel like this is the most fragile time in my life ( I just turned seventeen and am blessed to have started college last month! . . . which is great, but scary too ) and I'm going through exactly what the "dry season" describes. I didn't know what was happening at first and now that I look back, many of the out-of-my-comfort-zone things I've been trying to suddenly practice my boldness in, was really a conscience attempt to get God's attention. I realized quickly thereafter that something was very wrong with this because I know that when we do something that God wanted us to do, we feel happy afterwards or at least feel, in a sense, "right." In either case, I felt neither. Everything seems to be going down hill. My energy use to fluctuate, but now it's always low. My blood pressure was stable and never a concern, but now it gets dangerously low ( in the 40's! ). Heart palpitations come and go and I've been having reactions to everything I consume. . . so I haven't been eating as much as I should. But the worst part of it all is that the friends I had either moved far away or are "going through a rejection faze," as my Mom calls it. I do have my family and I am VERY grateful, yet still I feel lonely a lot. I've tried at being perspective with this, and have truly been trying to find Him and get to know Him better ( that's why I even joined TalkJesus.com ) But it all leaves me feeling like I'm just painting in the rain with every new idea to fill the gap. . . all my effort washes away with the rain. I try and it fails again and again. It all feels so pointless. . .everything does anymore.

I'll watch people and I can see that just before those who turn away from God, I guarantee you that majority of them got to the point where they said "everything feels pointless" before everything truly went down hill for them. I will not let that happen to me. I don't want any of this to happen but if God is trying to teach me something or reveal something new to me, I'm not seeing anything! This cloud is over me. I speak it to go like the bible says to do, but then it gets thinker! I was born into a loving family and raised as a Christian so this is all one strange thing to me. God has ALWAYS been there for me. But when I'm at youth group and everyone around me is so full of joy and care-free happiness, I'm the one sitting down somewhere praying for the ability to have joy again or at least the energy to laugh. Every day is a routine and spins in circles. This I can't stand! I'm one of those people that likes change, and it's eating me up that I'm not feeling any.

Do you have any advice, experiences ( testimonies where things were down but went up! ) or insight about "dry seasons"?

Thank you very much for reading this. I really do not mean to complain, I just need help and I see that now.

God Bless,

Hannah

Loyal
When times are hard, people are more likely to truly trust in the Lord, but with plenty, ppl tend to trust in themselves, and money, and power, all the things that turn us away from the Lord. Some ppl are only Christians for the good things in life, and can only love God if God showers them with EARTHLY blessings, God wants people to want SPIRITUAL blessings, and those are the truly good gifts and blessings, wouldn't you agree?

as i read youre post im reminded of the story of the silver smith, A man once ask a sliver smith how he knew there was enough heat put to the metal in the pot? His RESPONSE WAS. do you see how i lean over the pot ? it allows me to watch the heat closely and not over heat it ,i keep it stirred and when i see my reflection in the metal i know its been through enough Heat ..! Gods word tells us we are as precious metal in the Lords hands purified by the times of trail and heat or fire in our life ,,,,all i can tell you is we all feel it from time to time and when youre a preacher you feel the dry times just as when youre a lay minister for God .its never easy to be in dry season but i assure you when the rain comes you will apprecate it so much more ,,Just remeber God never leaves us or forsakes us ! when He sees His reflection in us then we will be lifted molded and formed in Gods own time and by His own hand ...May the Lord of all hold you until that time of dry season is past and may the Lord find His reflection in you at the end of the day ....in Jesus name ....Rev

Last edited:
Hi Hannah,

Your name means “a woman of prayer” J . Keep exercising it dear sister no matter what. Don’t let anything (even your own feelings) go between you and your God. God is faithful to His Words and His promises. If we draw nigh to Him, He will draw nigh to us, though at some point we may feel or see or even hear nothing, but keep exercising your faith (1John 5:4). “God will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Why does God put us through "dry seasons"? My direct answer sis is it is God’s prerogative to where he will lead us and when He will show or hide Himself unto us.I remember a beautiful old hymn with that.

Shepherd of my soul I give you full control,
Wherever You may lead I will follow.
I have made the choice to listen for Your voice,
Wherever You may lead I will go.

Be it in a quiet pasture or by a gentle stream,
The Shepherd of my soul is by my side.
Should I face a mighty mountain or a valley dark and deep,
The Shepherd of my soul will be my guide.

Shepherd of my soul Oh You have made me whole,
Where’er I hear You call how my tears flow.
How I feel your love how I want to serve
I gladly give my heart to You O – Lord.

Be it in the flowing river or in the quiet night,
The Shepherd of my soul is by my side.
Should I face the stormy weather or the dangers of this world.
The Shepherd of my soul will be my guide.

I love to sing this song before, but when I have come into its reality, I cannot even lift up my voice anymore. LOL

Your dry season might also be a form temptation on your part. During our wilderness test, doubts mount up like mighty mountains if we are unaware of the schemes and lies of the devil. He plants doubts not to believe and trust in God’s word and promises in our lives. He gives suggestions of things we should not be doing just to cope up with our circumstance. And eventually He seeks to draw us away from God, to continue to believe and follow Him in our lives. But we need to be totally and continually equipped by God’s Word and by the power of the Holy Spirit. Assert God’s Word and promises in your life every day. Believe that God loves you and HE has a wonderful plan in your life. Find ways to memorize Scriptures. As I read a chapter in a day, if there’s a passage that strikes unto me, I would write in a piece of paper and stick it on a wall where I can always notice it so every time I turn around, I would take a look and read until I can internalize it. It helps a lot. The busyness of the day it not an excuse not to be able to meditate God’s Word.

In going through some few different seasons of Christian life, there is one thing that I have learned so far; that no matter what happens, as we learn to continue to entrust our lives to the Lord, no one can really touch our life in Jesus. Our lives are already hidden in Christ. Yes! It is true that trials, temptations, tribulations or whatsoever (lol even our victories also at some point) may cause us to suffer, but that is just for a very short while (2 Corinthians 4:16-18). All these things are temporary, but our life in Jesus is eternal. Our life is in His hand.

Lastly, I just want to share some passages that had encouraged me a lot during the last few months:

Psalm 112:4 Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.
This is because Jesus is the light of the world and He is in us. Our righteousness comes from Him through faith.

Psalm 119:108 -Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws.
I often pray this one when it seemed I can’t find the way to really worship the Lord.

Psalm 8 – is very excellent. Verse 1 and 2 has been a great help too.

2Timothy 2:12 if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him,
he will also disown us; 13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.
V.13 has been a great encouragement to me especially on times that as if my faith is failing already. :D

Thanks for sharing with us here and for the opportunity to serve you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Am glad and blessed to know that at your age, have already that serious outlook in believing and following the Lord.

I am praying in agreement with Bro. Rev.

May the Lord of all hold you until that time of dry season is past and may the Lord find His reflection in you at the end of the day ....in Jesus name ....Rev

May you continually be made strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you continue to overcome the evil one. (1John 2:14b)

Amen and amen.

So much blessings in the Lord Jesus Christ dear Sister.

TWO

Staff Member
I will cause the shower to come down in his season; there shall be showers of blessing
Ezekiel 34:26

Greetings sister

@Hannah Rachelle

You have some very good responses on this thread sister.....so just a few words here having thought about your thread

Hannah, if you are going through a dry season.....feeling parched, dry and miserable
That evil thief and liar the devil, will try to keep you looking down and feeling down

But the Lord has better plans for you....Hallelujah Amen!

Look up and rejoice, thank the Lord for all the blessings you have

Look up to the Lord, rejoice in the love He has for the Lord

Look up to the Lord and wait patiently for
there shall be showers of blessing

Keep looking unto Jesus sister

There shall be showers of blessing:

This is the promise of love;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
Sent from the Saviour above.

Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need:
Mercy drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.

There shall be showers of blessing;
Send them upon us, O Lord;
Grant to us now a refreshing,
Come, and now honour Thy Word.

There shall be showers of blessing:
Oh, that today they might fall,
Now as to God we’re confessing,
Now as on Jesus we call!*

* From hymn Showers of Blessing
Daniel Whittle 1883

Last edited:
Amen to that sister fragrent ! Child God designed you for a poupose before you're mothers womb and God has plans for you
have no doubt they are plans for good not bad ! Even to the number of hairs on you're head He has equipped you for a time as this . I would encourage you to be still and know that He alone is God and watch Him work on you're behalf .....Rev

Dry seasons...times where I have been so "dry" spiritually that if I took a drink of the living water I felt like it wouldn't "stick." That's how I FELT, but it wasn't what was going on at all. God was wanting our relationship to go deeper and for ti to grow. He was preparing me for what was coming. James 4:8 says to draw near to God and He will draw near to us. When in a dry season, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT separate from God! That's the worst thing to do! It is so hard at times to see everyone else happy, but what we don't see is what is going on inside.

I'm one that most people won't know what is going on inside me unless I tell them! I'm usually so cheerful. When I'm not, people ask me what is wrong...as if I can't be sad or whatever :S

If what you have to do is be alone during worship, off by yourself, do it! I sometimes find a corner and just worship God there. I don't worry about who can see me and who can't. I focus totally on God! Maybe you need to take some time...the amount isn't important. God will tell you when the time is up. Just sit. Pray. Listen. Worship. Read the Word.

I'm going to leave you with one of my favorite songs.

"Desert Song"
Written by Brooke Fraser in 2008

[Verse 1:]
This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

[Verse 2:]
And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me, Lord, through the flame

[Chorus:]
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

[Verse 3:]
And this is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on its way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

[Chorus:]
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
I will rejoice
I will declare

[Bridge 4x:]
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

[Chorus 2x:]
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
I will rejoice
I will declare

[Verse 4:]
This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow

Last edited:
Active
Sister Hannah,Some very nice words from the others given to you! I can only speak of what I have gone through sis.All the things you spoke about happening to you have in a fashion happened to me,not quite like yours but close. Here dear sister after walking in Jesus for some 35 years I have learned. I will make this as short and brief as I can! hehe Everything I was going through in my life was based upon the very same thought.FEAR! WHAT IF? For the first few years Jesus put up with my thinking,I was a child of course,and did not know any better,but after about the 3rd year of my walk,Jesus hid himself from me!

I do not look at this as a dry season as your mom does sis,although one could come to that very easy! It is not the season it is rather the purpose by God for you to mature as I had to in my life.God does hid!( Isaiah 45:15 is very clear to me sis.Now it is!! lol WHY?? I placed an idol before the Lord that in my mind I first did not know. What about me Lord? I pray for others,I look to do good things because you live inside me, yet Lord why is it that you hid yourself from me? One night in evening prayer, I said not a word,I got before the Lord in a very quiet place,to not speak, but only hear.

I used every word i could think of and was tired of speaking. LOL I just said to the Lord you know why I am here,like job I will be silent! ( job 40:3-5) The Holy Spirit after about 3 hours came to me.And said inside me as clear as i am speaking unto you sis these words I still remember!"Remember my friend Hezekiah my son? He became very ill because his heart became proud,he questioned my purpose in his own life,he thought only of himself,his life became centered upon himself as well.( 2 Chronicles 32:24-26) Now look at verse 31!!! God left him alone only to test him that he might know all that was in his heart! God of course already knew sis,but Hezekiah( placed me here) needed to find out his heart,he needed to preform this act sis.( 2 cor 13:5) He needed to understand God's true love for him,in spite of his own self! ( eph 3:16-19!!!)

Jesus can never fail us or ever forsake us sister,even though our mind can tell us he has,we tell ourselfs it is just the season I guess for this. Jesus hides so that we take the time to measure where we ourselfs are in him sis.For without a trail what proof of our faith can we ourselves measure sis??( 1 Peter 1:3-9) If our foundation has truly been that God himself truly does love us,then why is it that we fear? What outcome does the believer have in themselves if they are believing what if? Holy Spirit then taught me this"

.( mark 9:23-24 A person can have faith yet also have doubt! This is where i was at sis. The measure of faith we all receive is the same sis.( rom 12:3) For if you were given more faith then me,that would not be fair and just would it? ( acts 10:34) The difference my good sister is not in our faith,but rather in our belief of our faith! When everyone around you says you are dead,and when all things around you point to you being dead Jesus says this sis!!( mark 5:35-36!!) Jesus knew how tough this was for many,hence why he only took Peter and James and John the brother of James with him! Holy Spirit then said I wish to take you to!! But only when you are ready to truly follow me!

I had to change my mindset sis!!( Col 3:1-17!!!) Please do read this all, these verses grew so tall after Holy Spirit reveled them to me!! LOL The works we preform, are measured by what we truly believe,and we stay thankful to our Jesus because only through him,can we ever do them to start with!( 1 thess 5:18!!!! the very will of God himself sis!!) Remember Dorthery in the wizard of Oz? She was told she always had the power to go home,she just had to learn this for herself! In Christ Jesus, we are already seated with him sis!( eph 2:6-10!) GRACE for ourself is needed!

For if we truly understand the power of grace given to us by Jesus himself,we then and only then can give this to another,who also so needs this! But grace comes only by this one commandment sis!( john 13:34!!) Love oneanother as I!!!!! have loved you! Self love can change from day to day,Jesus love can never change for us, or others sis! And so i began to study,and to measure myself according to what Holy Spirit showed me,and after some time,Jesus came back with greater measure upon my life.I no longer measured Jesus by my feeling or emotion, I measured our Jesus by his own Word planted deep within me!

What do we have without God's word sis? Our empty thoughts and emotion to guide us? I believe you see the point I am making here.If Jesus did not love you, and he has left you for a season,then why would he put me here as his servant to speak to you upon what you already have surmised yourself,about yourself?? hehe To confirm He lives in you is why sis! To confirm his love for you! To place a gentle hand upon your shoulder and say I love you my sister! You are not dead as many suppose,you are alive in me as long as you believe and look to trust me with all of your heart!( prov 3:6) In how many ways sis?? hehe ALL!!

Place me in front of you,cast your idol aside.( self) It rains on us all my dear sister!!( Matt 5:45) but those who believe truly in our Jesus are brought through every storm!! Because we understand that we ourselves are no match for any storm! Jesus sure is! I hope I was not to long winded for you sis!! hehe It is just I was where you are,and Jesus brought me through my storm,and will bring you through yours!! If you will just allow him to! The business for the believer is to believe! Let us do so! ( col 1:15-23!! verse 23!!) Then finally sis this!( col 4:2-6!!) May the power of Holy Spirit fall fresh upon your mind to receive his love and his grace without doubting!! amen!