• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Why do Christians explain away their sins?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:14)

Active
It seems to me, that Christians always got a excuse for their sins. You can have a discussion about something using scripture, they hurry up and go into “fig leaf” mode. They start covering up their sins by covering up others. You can see what they are doing, we are children of light we are one body in Christ. I’m not beating up on anyone. I’m just saying stop hiding in figs leaves we are the real family of God. ❤ it seems like you never hear them talk about how much they love Jesus, or how they love the Word of God. They will talk about what He has done, which is good. But it’s seems like when they talk about Him there is no love there. “The love of many has grown cold”! It seems to me brothers and sister our love for God has grown cold. He did say: ”you do honor me with your mouths and your lips [words] but your hearts are far from me”❤

Active
It seems to me we are far too ready to discuss others sins, and reticent dealing with our own.

Jesus calls us to repent, he does not call us to dwell on the failings of others.

If others have lists if excuses, that's largely between them and God. Our primary task is to deal with our own failings.

Active
Well you're a Christian, why not make yourself the first object of enquiry? Have you ever had the experience of becoming aware of sin and had the impulse to minimise, rationalise or excuse it? If so, what do you think lay behind that response?

It seems to me we are far too ready to discuss others sins, and reticent dealing with our own.

Jesus calls us to repent, he does not call us to dwell on the failings of others.

If others have lists if excuses, that's largely between them and God. Our primary task is to deal with our own failings.
So true. I have enough failings and ugliness of heart of my own. If we see a brother sinning though it is right to highlight it to them in love, yes?

Active
So true. I have enough failings and ugliness of heart of my own. If we see a brother sinning though it is right to highlight it to them in love, yes?
Absolutely. When dealing with other people's sins appear more urgent and interesting than our own, alarm bells should start ringing. That's all I mean.

they have been conditioned by a heretical doctrine called (Original Sin). which teach that someone is born a sinner!! and that if they sin and then say also the heretical (sinners prayer) God will forgive them no matter how many times they sin which is heresy!! its a disease dats spread around most denominational churches!! they look at sin as being not much of a big deal and dat Christ loves them anyway coz he came and died 4 them so their home free!!

proverbs 19:11 they like 2 hide their sins. 1 Corinth 6:18 he who sins sins against his own body.

Loyal

you know I needed that, that is a huge fault of mine, seeing the issue with others and failing to see my shortcomings.
What I need to remember is God so merciful gave me grace, that if for some reason I start worrying about others and there sins I just need to remember the Grace God gave me and pray for there grace. My issue is Like to look down on them o shame on me.

. Please pray for me on this

they have been conditioned by a heretical doctrine called (Original Sin). which teach that someone is born a sinner!! and that if they sin and then say also the heretical (sinners prayer) God will forgive them no matter how many times they sin which is heresy!! its a disease dats spread around most denominational churches!! they look at sin as being not much of a big deal and dat Christ loves them anyway coz he came and died 4 them so their home free!!

proverbs 19:11 they like 2 hide their sins. 1 Corinth 6:18 he who sins sins against his own body.
Grace is not a free pass to sin but if we do then God can forgive us, He can forgive all sins except for blasphemy. Where does it say in the bible that all sins are eternal damnation? I can back it all up with scriptures.

Matthew 12:31 (MEV) "Therefore I say to you, all kinds of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven men."

Romans 6:14 (MEV) "For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under the law, but under grace."

Active
I think before anybody would as a true child of God condemn the “Doctrine of Original Sin” they would at least read the true Definition of what it means in the “Westminster Confession of Faith” instead going on some partial definition of some bias person. Now that is all I want to say about that, getting back to the Original post. Which was a question.

After hearing comments I think I have the answer. It seems to me, we have forgotten to encourage one another , meaning real Christians, real brothers and sisters in Christ, to live a “Holy life”, “be Ye Holy for I am Holy”, “For this is the “WILL” of God” YOUR Sanctification:
Jesus always said : Repent and believe in the gospel. Let us start encouraging one another to live a holy life. A sanctified life. You notice I said US. Encourage, God word will bless us in mind and in spirit when we sin we are not abiding in the vine. Do not be deceive. You cannot have real fellowship if you explain away your sins. How can we say we love God , and keep not His commandments. We only fool ourselves. Every time we write something or speak to a brother or sister encourage them or remind them let’s us live a Holy Life. Say the words in love!❤

Active
I think before anybody would as a true child of God condemn the “Doctrine of Original Sin” they would at least read the true Definition of what it means in the “Westminster Confession of Faith” instead going on some partial definition of some bias person. Now that is all I want to say about that, getting back to the Original post. Which was a question.

After hearing comments I think I have the answer. It seems to me, we have forgotten to encourage one another , meaning real Christians, real brothers and sisters in Christ, to live a “Holy life”, “be Ye Holy for I am Holy”, “For this is the “WILL” of God” YOUR Sanctification:
Jesus always said : Repent and believe in the gospel. Let us start encouraging one another to live a holy life. A sanctified life. You notice I said US. Encourage, God word will bless us in mind and in spirit when we sin we are not abiding in the vine. Do not be deceive. You cannot have real fellowship if you explain away your sins. How can we say we love God , and keep not His commandments. We only fool ourselves. Every time we write something or speak to a brother or sister encourage them or remind them let’s us live a Holy Life. Say the words in love!❤
That's a good answer. I've been waiting for the thread to come back to the OP before adding my response.

I think the root of minimising our sins is lack of faith in God. We (I) don't fully trust him to wash away our shame and to start us anew, so we attempt to conceal it.

Amen 2 dat!! but let me just add
Original sin - also called ancestral sin,[1] is a Christian belief in a state of
sin in which humanity has existed since the fall of man, stemming from Adam and
Eve's rebellion in Eden, namely the sin of disobedience in consuming the forbidden
fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Theologians have characterized this condition in many ways, seeing it as ranging
from something as insignificant as a slight deficiency, or a tendency toward sin
yet without collective guilt, referred to as a "sin nature", to something as
drastic as total depravity or automatic guilt of all humans through collective
guilt.[3]

Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon first alluded to the concept of original sin in the 2nd
century in his controversy with certain dualist Gnostics.[4] Other church fathers
such as Augustine (354-430) also shaped and developed the doctrine,[5][2] seeing
it as based on the New Testament teaching of Paul the Apostle (Romans 5:12–21 and
1 Corinthians 15:21-22) and the Old Testament verse of Psalms 51:5

but anyway aside from dat side note I agree wiv wat ur saying!!

It seems to me, that Christians always got a excuse for their sins. You can have a discussion about something using scripture, they hurry up and go into “fig leaf” mode. They start covering up their sins by covering up others. You can see what they are doing, we are children of light we are one body in Christ. I’m not beating up on anyone. I’m just saying stop hiding in figs leaves we are the real family of God. ❤ it seems like you never hear them talk about how much they love Jesus, or how they love the Word of God. They will talk about what He has done, which is good. But it’s seems like when they talk about Him there is no love there. “The love of many has grown cold”! It seems to me brothers and sister our love for God has grown cold. He did say: ”you do honor me with your mouths and your lips [words] but your hearts are far from me”❤
The way this piece is written seriously carries a tone of "Me VS Them". Do you imply you are not like "Them" and have no excuses for your sins ???

Active
Here we go again, I was not talking about, you. I said: “it seems to me that Christians always got a excuse for their sins”. So please do not be offended. I did included myself in that quote. For there is only one body in Christ. If you abide in the vine, we have fellowship with one another. So let us strive to abide in the vine that we can have fellowship with one another, for that is the will of God, even your sanctification. Jesus prayed in His prayer to His Father, he said something like this: “I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.”.❤

Top Poster Of Month
I think before anybody would as a true child of God condemn the “Doctrine of Original Sin” they would at least read the true Definition of what it means in the “Westminster Confession of Faith” instead going on some partial definition of some bias person.
12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned--

13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.

14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

- Romans 5.

Active
One thing for sure, GOD knows something about the human race, we do not know nothing about and it is bad!!!!!! Real Bad, that it takes a GOD to pull off HIS robe in Glory and wrap Himself in sinful flesh and die a violent and horrible death to redeem us. What kind of creatures both male and female had we become? That we deserve damnation through out eternity?