• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Why did you choose Jesus?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
Why did you choose Jesus, was it because you wanted a better life or were you afraid you might Go To Hell if you didn’t?

Now for me, that is no brainer, I grew up, in era of the Preacher that Preach "Hell & Brimstone". When we were little kids, when we sinned or done something we knew was bad. We would hurry and ask God to "forgive us", when we were alone or with our little kids group! There was no "pride" to keep you from confessing! you did something bad, and your friend saw you, They would say; with fire in their eyes and a loud voice, "YOU ARE GOING TO HELL"! As a little kid, you start praying right then on the spot! LOL! We were bad, but prayed, Sometimes. walking down the street, from stealing "Apples', or "Pears" off some one's tree,,"Lord please forgive me for stealing the apple off Mrs. Granny's tree! "Please Lord don't send me to Hell", I won't do it anymore , i wil be good. After we have eaten it!:joy: Then one time i "threw up" real bad, no more stealing "apples" for me.

Some of your buddies, were serious, "I am not going to do it, I am not stepping on "Mr. Hopper's grass, I'm not going to HELL! But a couple days later you see him, at the "Confectionery Store" at the rear of the Store where the "Ice Cream Soda Floats" are sold. Hiding in full delight looking at that Cherry AND WHIP cream on top. He sure didn't have any money to by one of those. He must have slip his hands in His daddy's pocket, while he was sleeping, and slip out a quarter. 23 cents for the float and 2 cents for the tax. total 25 cents. got you one. It took 13 soda pop bottles to cash in, to buy one of those The extra empty bottle was for tax. Load that "Radio Flyer" Red Wagon, up. Most Boys had Wagons! and a Sling Shot, and some marbles in their pockets and a" Beanie cap" with charms hanging down, And was scared you might go to Hell, if you didn't confess and Repent! right away!

Fire And Brimstone preaching is not speaking in "love", in today's market place. And if the preacher preach it, there is "No Power" in it, The kind that makes you have Nightmares! In vivid color!

For me, I am not taking any chances! It is to late in the game. Wondering!

"Have not GOD said"

Last edited by a moderator:
I start reading the Bible at 17 because I wanted a better life but now I just want to live again in the afterlife, I'm kind of afraid of death but if life gets to hard I won't be. I really want God to be real knowing there someone who loves me for who I am.

Loyal
Initially it was so I wouldn't end up in hell. Preachers taught more fire and brimstone messages back a generation ago. It has fallen out of favor these days.
We only like to talk about God is love and mercy. But I notice Jesus was a fire and brimstone preacher. All the verses in red are Jesus speaking.

Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
Matt 5:29; "If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
Matt 5:30; "If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.
Matt 10:28; "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt 18:9; "If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.
Matt 23:15; "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
Matt 23:33; "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?
Mark 9:43; "If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire,
Mark 9:45; "If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into hell,
Mark 9:47; "If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell,
Luke12:5; "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!

In fact Jesus talks about people who will go to hell more than everyone else together.

Matt 11:23; "And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will descend to Hades; for if the miracles had occurred in Sodom which occurred in you, it would have remained to this day.
Luke 10:15; "And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will be brought down to Hades!

There is only two destinations. Everyone will end up living with the Lord, or living in eternal damnation in the Lake of Fire. That's it. No other options. So choose now.

Luke 13:3; "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.
Luke 13:5; "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."

After you are saved for a while you may begin to begin to build a relationship with Jesus, and begin to love Him. You may start to see how He loves you and blesses you. Your reason for staying with Him
may change. But even Christians who have been saved for decades don't want to go to hell or the Lake of Fire.

Rev 20:15; And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
Rev 21:8; "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Have you ever burned your finger really bad? How about a bad sunburn? Ever had a blister from a fire? These things hurt like crazy, sometimes they hurt for days. You are miserable, you can't get comfortable.
Imagine feeling that over your entire body forever... forever... forever is a very long time.

Matt 8:12; but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Matt 13:42; and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matt 13:50; and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matt 22:13; "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
Matt 24:51; and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matt 25:30; "Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Luke 13:28; "In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.

So which will it be? Paradise with God, or the Lake of Fire with all the non-Christians. There is no other option.

Matt 7:19; "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Matt 13:50; and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matt 18:8; "If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire.
Matt 25:41; "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
Mark 9:43; "If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire,

John 15:6; "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

Loyal
Fire And Brimstone preaching is not speaking in "love", in today's market place. And if the preacher preach it, there is "No Power" in it, The kind that makes you have Nightmares! In vivid color!
The truth without love... is just "noise".

1Cor 13:1; If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Cor 13:2; If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

We can tell people the truth, but if there is no love in it... it is just a clanging gong to them.

... On the other hand....

We can give people love, but if there is no truth in it, we are enabling them. We are sending them straight to hell.
No truth is still a lie. Why would we lie to those we love?

Active
For me, I love for My brother and sisters in Christ to remind me of such "Words in Christ'. For your quotes, runs deep into my being, it feels like the "heavy anointing of God" that coats my very soul it shields.:pensive: Thanks for those anointed Words, that has flowed from your anointed soul.:innocent:

Active
Why do I choose Jesus? Because I want to share in His righteousness.

I find that it is not those who want to escape from damnation or those who want to have a better life that will persevere until the end, but those who truly love righteousness. The life of faith is a life of endurance with much toil and suffering. If our only motivation is to escape from hell or have a better life, we will easily turn away when tribulations come. That is why you see so many Christians abandon God when some personal tragedies come to visit them. Their “roots” simply weren’t deep enough.

To love God is to love righteousness, we are told that no mind has conceived nor eye has seen what God has prepared for those who love Him. God did not prepare for those who seek a better life nor for those who want to escape hell, but for those who actually love Him. A person who chooses the faith to have a better life or to escape from hell don’t necessarily love God.