• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Why all the R-rated stories?

Staff Member
"So I took hold of my concubine, cut her in pieces, and sent her throughout all the territory of the inheritance of Israel, because they committed lewdness and outrage in Israel. Judges 20:6 NKJV

The first seven books of the Bible all contain stories that make good men wince. Murder, Rape, Slaughter, Incest, Pillaging, Prostitution, Annihilation, Gang Rape, Mutilation. The short book of Ruth (tomorrow) is the first Bible book that’s only PG-13. Then it’s back to more sex and violence at every turn from 1 Samuel to 2 Chronicles. The two short books after that dial it back to PG-13, but Ester…well, you get the idea. Sex and violence and more sex and violence.

Two of the most disturbing stories are found in yesterday and today’s Bible readings. The book of Judges repeatedly shocks, and the appendices drive home the utter terror of these bookends: “In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit” (Judges 17:6, 21:25 NIV).

In this case, the ancient moral of the story is obvious. The contemporary moral is no less terrifying: if you do whatever seems right in your own eyes, there is no limit to how depraved you can be. Why is the Bible so honest? For very good reasons, indeed.

Prayer: Lord, I didn’t enjoy today’s Bible reading. Maybe that was the point.