• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Which is easier?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Luke 5:17; One day He was teaching; and there were some Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting there, who had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem; and the power of the Lord was present for Him to perform healing.
Luke 5:18; And some men were carrying on a bed a man who was paralyzed; and they were trying to bring him in and to set him down in front of Him.
Luke 5:19; But not finding any way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down through the tiles with his stretcher, into the middle of the crowd, in front of Jesus.
Luke 5:20; Seeing their faith, He said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven you."
Luke 5:21; The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?"
Luke 5:22; But Jesus, aware of their reasonings, answered and said to them, "Why are you reasoning in your hearts?
Luke 5:23; "Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins have been forgiven you,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'?
Luke 5:24; "But, so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,"—He said to the paralytic— "I say to you, get up, and pick up your stretcher and go home."
Luke 5:25; Immediately he got up before them, and picked up what he had been lying on, and went home glorifying God.
Luke 5:26; They were all struck with astonishment and began glorifying God; and they were filled with fear, saying, "We have seen remarkable things today."

One day Jesus was teaching.... and there are some Pharisees and "teachers of the law" there. I wonder why they were there listening? It seems some people only listen so they can catch you in a mistake or try to trap you.

Some men have a friend.. they are carrying him on a portable bed... I imagine a stretcher of some sort.
They are trying to get this man before Jesus... but they couldn't get him close because of the crowd.

It seems sometimes it is hard for us to close to Jesus because of all crowd and noise around us.
So his friends climb up on the roor and make a hole.... they let the man down through the hole in the roof.

Sometimes it's up to us to make a way to Jesus. I think sometimes He wants to see how bad we want something.

Now whenever I read this... I always the man (and his friends) were hoping Jesus would heal him so he could walk. But the first thing Jesus says to this man is... "Your sins have been forgiven you".

Ah ha... the moment the Pharisees were waiting for... They say Jesus is speaking Blasphemies... they ask
"Who but God can forgive sins"? Now of course there are certain things people can do to us that we can forgive. But there are certain sins... that only God can forgive. The Pharisee were actually correct in saying this.
What they didn't realize was.... It was God forgiving this mans sins.

They don't believe. They don't believe Jesus can forgive sin. Sometimes I think some Christians feel the same way. He can forgive the sins of others... but not mine.

I also find it especially interesting that it says here... "the power of the Lord was present for Him to perform healing" (verse 17) . Was there times when Jesus didn't have this power? It does say he didn't do many miracles in Capernaum... (because of unbelief).

Jesus asks... "why are you 'reasoning' in your heart". Its almost as if He is asking them, why are you even doubting and arguing about this.... so to prove a point... He heals the man.

The man gets up off the stretcher and went home.. "glorifying God". I would hope I would glorify God in the same circumstances. But Jesus asks a very profound question here.... "Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins have been forgiven you,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'?"

Saying someone's sins are forgiven has no physical evidence... It's easy to say this. Anyone could say this.
But that doesn't mean they are God. On the other hand.... not everyone can tell a lame man.. get up and walk.
Jesus gives them proof that He can indeed forgive sins.

It says in verse 26 that they were struck with astonishment and filled with fear. They even admit... "We have seen remarkable things today."

I have to wonder... which was more remarkable for them.... that Jesus healed the man... or that He could forgive His sins?

Loyal
Just ask a catholic priest they "forgive" sins all the time, in fact the relines to there confessional on Saturdays are 30 minute waits sometimes. :wink:

Active
KJV says in verse 24 power to forgive sins...forgiveness is actually more than just words its power.

Whatever Jesus said, happened. Going back to Genesis when God spoke let there be light, there was light. Jesus has this same power, because by forgiving sins there is power to heal, and to overcome.

It takes faith to believe and faith to be forgiven. Why would christians think they cant be forgiven? They are forgiven because they believe...how do you know youve been forgiven, not just because someone says so but because of the power of God.

Everyone who has witnessed the power of God in their life knows that things change when you are forgiven. Yet some people seem to want to stay in their sins. They dont want to change. They are too comfortable in it and too proud to ask.

The interesting thing about this story is that this man who was healed his friends cared for him so much they brought him to Jesus and went to great lengths to do so and help him get closer to God. Isnt this what we ought to be doing with our friends?