Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Where Does Desperation Lead You?

Discussion in 'Devotionals' started by Christ4Ever, Jun 7, 2018.

Random Thread
  1. As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? Psalm 42:1-2

Streams can be few and far between in the land of Israel. That’s why so many stories of the Old Testament include details about wells and major problems stemming from droughts that drained cisterns. A reliance on wells in the time of Jesus meant He had conversations with people around wells quite often.

With limited water sources, the deer of the land could be hard-pressed sometimes to find water. Perhaps in a season of drought it may have seemed nearly impossible to find a stream.

This intense thirst for a scare water supply captures the spirit of desperation and longing that the writer of this psalm shares while waiting on God’s deliverance. Although you have the assurance that God is alive and well, a season of doubt or isolation can leave you desperate.

Then again, you could just as well become distracted by something else, spending your days longing for things other than God. Perhaps the question you could ask yourself is: What am I desperate for today? Your seasons of searching and thirsting for God won’t last forever, but that doesn’t mean you won’t have your times of trial, uncertainty, and longing for God’s presence.

B-A-C likes this.
  2. This reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw not long ago.

" Is God your spare tire or your steering wheel? "

Christ4Ever likes this.