• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

When We Pray

Loyal
Why when we pray do we we close our eyes?
Sometimes I do and others I dont. We can pray at any given time so if I decide to pray as I am walking down the road well I tend to keep my eyes open.
There is times when I can not seem to get them closed enough. lol
BLessings
James

Loyal
Sometimes I do and others I dont. We can pray at any given time so if I decide to pray as I am walking down the road well I tend to keep my eyes open.
There is times when I can not seem to get them closed enough. lol
BLessings
James
OH I close my eyes all the time when I pray!! Especially when I pray as I drive...LOL
Do you believe me? ;)

Loyal
OH I close my eyes all the time when I pray!! Especially when I pray as I drive...LOL
Do you believe me? ;)
Well i dont drive any where near you......lol that should tell you something. I also apologise to fallen for having a little fun with this thread.
James

Loyal
The eyes we need to close are the eyes of the 'old man' who still wants to look where he should not look. The eyes we don't ever want to close are the "eyes to see" received by each of us with the Holy Ghost.

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see." Rev 3:18

@Bendito Then there was a testimony of a man who when seeking for the Holy Ghost after a long period of time was driving down a country road in Oklahoma on his milk route. [Those were the days when fresh milk was still delivered to your door.] As he was driving he was praying and the Lord spoke to his heart, "Close your eyes, take your hands off the wheel and raise them above your head and worship me". He did and immediately began speaking in a heavenly language that he did not understand. A while later he arrived at his next delivery point. He had never stopped lowered his arms nor had he opened his natural eyes until then...

@Bendito
"Why do you close your eyes?"
Answering a question with a question amuses me, you should go into politics. LoL.

For me, I do both; pray with my eyes closed and open. When I pray with my eyes open it is more of a dialogue with God.

Talking with Him and listening to that still voice. When my thoughts become erratic I wait on the Lord talking with Him and He always responds. Sometimes I wait on the Lord as He may be wanting to challenge me to become closer in my walk with Him or challenge my point of view on a particular topic.

When I pray with my eyes closed I feel it is a reverent time with God. Sometimes I am lead to tears as I pray for others or my family. I feel it is a more intimate time with God. recently a close friend of mine died of cancer. prior to him passing away he wanted to repent of the life he lead. we had a chance to pray together and asked God for forgiveness. Both our eyes were closed. it was an intimate moment.

Mat 6:6 "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Thankyou for responding to my question.

Loyal
For me, honestly, it's probably because as a child I was taught to close my eyes when praying. Same as the way I hold a knife and fork.
And same as everybody else, I keep my eyes open when praying on a bicycle.

Loyal
I had to interview some college kids for some job position openings where I work.
It doesn't really pay well, but they get college credit for this. In fact you can't pass
the course unless you do this work for 3 or 4 weeks.

Several of the kids I was interviewing got text messages during the job interview. Three of them
started answering the text message they got right in the middle of the interview. One asked if it
was OK for him to answer it. (at least he asked) so I said "sure" and I asked them all to step
into a small waiting room.

About an hour later I came to let them know they could leave. They asked if the interview was over?
I said yes. ......... It seems some are easily distracted.

I wonder if we do the same thing to God? We are praying, and we get a text message, or the commercial on
television ends, or we get a phone call, or .... life happens.

I close my eyes for two reasons. First it helps keep me from being distracted, and helps me focus on the
worship/prayer/conversation/fellowship with the Lord. Second, it usually lets those around me know I'm praying.
It's happened several times over the years where I've been at someone's house or at a restaurant and have
been praying (with my eyes closed) and the waitress or server has started to ask me something... but then when
they see my eyes are closed, and my head is slightly bowed, and I'm talking.... They will say.. "oh, sorry..."
and sometimes they will quietly leave, or sometimes they will wait a few seconds until I'm done.