• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

When God gives gifts is it divisive?

Loyal
"Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?I Cor 12:29-30

The answer is every case is, No. God does not give every gift to every believer. Rather He gives the necessary gifts to each members as He deems it appropriate members of the Body to accomplish His will. The decision is His alone. So what should we do

"But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way." I Cor 12:31

The more excellent way is God's Way to make the Body fit together properly and to work together according to His will to accomplish His purpose. The prayer of Jesus is the one each and every one of us should pray when we ask for anything such as the best gifts:

"... nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Having done that we should then leave it all in His hands. It is His plan, not mine and not yours.

Give God the glory!

Active
Whatever gift God has given you, be thankful. He gives different gifts to different people, we are not all the same.

For those that dont understand tongues, because they havent been given that gift (they might have been given a different gift) Paul has this to say in 1 corinthians 12:3-4

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say Jesus is Lord: but by the Holy Ghost.
Now there are diversities of gifts but by the same Spirit.

...Paul then goes on to list them.

So if you happen to hear me speaking in tongues (which I dont do in front of people who wont understand anyway) I am not muttering under my breath that I dont like Jesus. I will be saying Jesus is Lord and other praises to God in another tongue that God has given me. Thats all there is to it!

Loyal
For those who ask "what advantage do tongues give"? Over say.. someone who doesn't speak in tongues.
I would ask... what advantage do any of the gifts give?
I know (many actually) Christians who say they've never spoken in tongues. But I know just as many (maybe more) Christians
who say they've never prophesied, healed anyone, gave a word of wisdom, gave a word of knowledge, done or miracle, discerned
a spirit, or interpreted a tongue.

I don't think they aren't saved because they haven't done any of those things. But I do think they are missing out
It's true, the tongues are mostly meant for the body... I believe that. But they are just as important as the other gifts that...
"are for the body".

Tongues can be for self edification.

1 Cor 14:2; For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.

1 Cor 14:4; One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

However if tongues are interpreted...

1 Cor 14:4; One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.
1 Cor 14:5; Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

Why did God pick tongues? I guess you will have to ask Him, but...
1 Cor 14:21; In the Law it is written, "BY MEN OF STRANGE TONGUES AND BY THE LIPS OF STRANGERS I WILL SPEAK TO THIS PEOPLE, AND EVEN SO THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO ME," says the Lord.

Where is this?
Isa 28:11; Indeed, He will speak to this people Through stammering lips and a foreign tongue,

1 Cor 14:3; But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
1 Cor 14:12; So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.
1 Cor 14:26; What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

Loyal
We, all of us, who have met the Master know that the following words penned by Jeremiah are true word:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

But, in spite of this knowledge we keep on, at least in part, leading ourselves instead of following Him.

"If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. James 1:26

The tongue is out of control in carnal man:

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?" James 3:8-11

So when we have received the gift of the Holy Spirit we start walking with God sometimes. When are quenching the Holy Spirit in us we are not walking God and are effectively none of His. We then speak both blessings and cursings dependent on whether we are surrendered to Him and leaning on Him at the moment or not. Solomon's words written about one thousand years before the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem already expressed what was needed:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Prov 3:5-6

Men tried before Jesus but they did not have what we have. Now we have more through the written NT along with the OT AND the Holy Spirit in our hearts. But we must use what we have to accomplish God's will for us:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

We have more available through Jesus than any person in the OT so more is required of us. Jesus did not do all of the work for us, but He did what was needed to make it possible for us to do it. Controlling our tongue is an important thing as James makes clear in the above verses. This is why God will control our tongue for us, but He needs our permission even to do that. He is willing, but it is still our choice even after we have received the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift combined the written scriptures provides the means, but the work by faith is ours. It is not a done deal until we have overcome our world as Jesus overcame His.

Give God the glory!