• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

When Exhaustion Becomes Faith

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah Psalm 61:1-4

In certain psalms, David holds nothing back. He was a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22), yet put every fear, complaint, and disappointment into writing.

Despite his devotion to God, David was sometimes overwhelmed. The unique thing about him was that his utter exhaustion drove him toward God's mercy. He cried out for this Savior--the "rock that is higher than I." He longed for God to be his refuge in the midst of his turmoil.

The tabernacle (tent) he referred to was the place where God's presence had abided since the days of Moses, where the Ark of the Covenant resided, and where the wings of the cherubim covered the Mercy Seat. Those are the "wings" David trusted in for shelter.

When life becomes overwhelming, let it drive you to the Rock, to the shelter of God's mercy. When your heart is near breaking, don't pull away from the only One who can be your strong tower.

Prayer: Father, I cry out to You! Keep me close, and lift me up! You are my refuge!