• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

What we deny

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Here we see Jesus talking about those who deny Him.

Matt 10:32; “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
Matt 10:33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

We assume this simply means we tell people we aren't saved. We don't believe in Jesus.
But there are other ways to deny Jesus/God.

The first thing we have to deny, is ourselves. This doesn't mean we deny that we exist. It means we have to
deny our our wants, our lusts, our desires, and accept what Jesus wants.

Matt 16:24; Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.
Matt 16:25; For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. Matt 16:26; For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul

We "must" deny ourselves (verse 24). It isn't a suggestion, it's a requirement.

Mark 8:34; And He summoned the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.
Mark 8:35; For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.

If we aren't denying what we want, and what we desire, then we are denying what Jesus wants, and what
Jesus desires. Sometimes we want the same thing, but sometimes we don't. In fact every single time you
sin, you are not denying yourself. You are denying Jesus.

Luke 9:23; And He was saying to them all, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.
Luke 9:24; For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.

We see here that denying yourself isn't a one time thing. We have to deny ourselves continually.
We deny ourselves and take up our crosses (dying to the old self) daily. Sometimes hourly.

There are some who say that Jesus takes care of all of this for you. That is a false doctrine.
Everyone of the verses above says, "he must deny himself", not "Jesus must deny him for himself".

2 Tim 2:10; For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.
2 Tim 2:11; It is a trustworthy statement: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him;
2 Tim 2:12; If we endure, we will also reign with Him;
If we deny Him, He also will deny us;
2 Tim 2:13; If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

Paul writes to Timothy.. "I endure... (all things)" We are the ones who have to endure.
Jesus doesn't do it all for us.
"IF" we died... (with Him) but have you really died to the old self? Or are you still denying
Jesus and doing what you want rather than what he wants? Are you doing this daily?
"IF" we endure... Jesus already endured. ( Heb 12:2-3; )
But we do not endure and deny Him, He will also deny us. (verse 12)
Jesus remains faithful. He will always hold up His end of the deal. But will you always hold up
your end?

Tit 1:10; For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,
Tit 1:11; who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain
Tit 1:16; They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.

There are "many" rebellious men. What are they rebelling against? God. These aren't people who never
heard of God. These are people who "profess to know God" (verse 16)
So they aren't denying Him before men... in fact they profess to know Him. They are denying by their deeds.
We can deny Jesus by our actions, just as much (maybe more) than what we say.

Jude 1:3; Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
Jude 1:4; For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Sometimes we need to "contend" for the faith. To stand up for it.
For certain people (yes, there are a few here on TJ as well) who turn the grace of God into a license to sin.
They say grace covers everything, so it's OK if I keep on choosing to sin as much as I want to.
But if you do this... are you denying yourself? Or are you denying Jesus. The answer is in the same
verse (verse 4) who....... deny our Master and Lord, Jesus!

2 Pet 2:1; But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.
2 Pet 2:2; Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned;

We have been bought by Jesus, bought with a price (His blood) 1 Cor 6:20; 1 Cor 7:23;
But even some people who were bought by the Master (Jesus) will deny Him (verse 1)
by following their own sensuality, and lusts.

Are you denying yourself? Or are you denying Jesus?