• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What type of music should a christian listen to

this question has been eating me up, i was being convicted on this last friday when my church sponsored a dance for the youth, now there was some music that was played that i really thought was inappropriate. so i discussed it with our pastor and he said it all depends on where you are spiritually. and i was the only one i think was being convicted on this.

I know the bible says we should praise God with a dance but does this also include dancing to rock n roll or ja rule or fantasia i mean i dont think one could dance to these songs and it be for the glory of God. now while all our youth was inside dancing away i was outside being convicted and i had a talk with God and i heard a voice say "Do you think that im on any of their minds right now" and i really didnt think God was on their minds. i was convicted so bad i started to cry for them

so tell me what are some opinions on this subject. when i started to really live for God and He saved me, i gave away all my "secular music" so all u hear in my house is gospel, which i think is the right thing to do

so what im confused on is the type of music and the dancing also
please someone share your opinion on this matter
thanks

Music, dancing, and intent

I've prayed over this because I had similar questions and I will share my own conviction:

Songs (with lyrics) are nothing more than words set to background sounds. If those words have an unChristian message in them, then that song might just need to go. Any "ethnic" or tribal music should be checked very carefully. Those foreign singers may seem to be yammering gibberish, but for all you know they are calling for the worship of pagan idols. Hindu music is notorious for this as is a lot of Celtic music.

Instrumental music is generally easier. Sometimes instrumental music is purely a matter of context and doesn't seem to have any "theme" to it. But many of us are familar with the stereotypical "srip tease" track used in commercials and such -- music can be suggestive. With instrumental music, I've not received a solid conviction other than that I should carefully pay attention to how I feel as a result of listening to the piece. If the music generates emotions that a good Christian would normally try to control...like feelings of increased sexuality or anger or even sadness...then maybe that music is best left alone.

Again, it also follows to consider who composed the music and how the music is titled. If the band is known to be pagan or the song, even instrumental, has a title like "moon goddess" ... then perhaps that song should be laid aside.

Other than that, I've not had God give me a feeling of displeasure over any type of music in a more general sense.

---

As far as dancing goes....the biggest problem with dancing in general is that it is very hard to separate out dancing for God from dancing for the flesh. A lot of people don't know there's even a difference...or how to dance for God.

Another problem is that dancing purely for the flesh doesn't have to be evil by default -- but that still doesn't make it godly. For example, if you dance purely for the aerobic benefit, with no thought of God, then that's purely for the flesh but probably not evil (unless of course your whole point in getting fit is wrapped up in vanity or lust).

As for whether or not those children were thinking of God as they danced...that's more up to how the dance was presented than up to the kids.

Children need to be *taught* how to include God in their lives and activities.

Unless they had someone speaking over the top of the music reminding them to think of thier love for the Lord and to dance to glorify Him, I don't think they'd just happen to do that on their own. So they were probably all dancing to celebrate, and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that...but it's not dancing for God.

As Christians we should always have God on our minds. So I try to always listen to songs about God. When I go to church I listen to gospel. When Im in my car, Im usually listening to gospel rap. The lyrics are about The Bible and there is nothing bad about the lyrics. We all are different and like different genres. So my advice would to be just to listen to songs about God, and not songs about the world.

I personally think we must be careful not to 'run away' from types of music that are deemed not to be 'Christian enough'!! I agree that there are some songs and styles of music that are perhaps to be avoided, but as someone who listens to alot of different genres of music which include folk/celtic music, indian/hindu music, african and various world/tribal music - I think the importance is the state of mind and the place where your heart is - I can listen and dance to this music and still be dancing with God - I rekon the Holy Spirit can challenge us to know what might be best avoided by presing on our hearts, i would ecommend anyone who si sturggling with this to pray about it.

But if you enjoy something, give thanks to God for His precious gifts!

Blessings
Peter

I am currently wondering about this as well. It's easy for one to simply choose to avoid all secular music, but is it practical and, more importantly, is it entirely biblical? It's obvious we must avoid music with sexual, violent, or profane lyrics and/or themes, but what about the secular music that contains none of those? I personally am a big fan of jazz and ambient, electronic music; is that wrong?

I believe the key is discernment.

Staff Member
I think you have a good point there discernment is what we need and to be led by the Holy Spirit. We need to think WWJD. Would He be happy listening to this?

Although I like some secular music I find I always seem to be drawn to listening to Praise and Worship music as it lifts the spirit and is so uplifting and helps me to focus on Jesus too.

God bless :love: :rainbow: :rose:

Active
Jesus is alive, death has lost it's victory.

Everyone's walk is different, which means we face different convictions. There are secular music, that upsets me spiritually, I get agitated.
From the age of 13, I was brought up in a very strict youth group, my leaders are worship leaders, so it was natural for us to want to be like them. We were taught , to be a worshipper you can only serve one master. Which meant with the same tongue I praised God, I could not be praising someone else. And also being Holy, meant not being part takers of this world.

For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:6-8 (New King James Version

The bible says, Let every thing that has breathe praise the Lord.
Keyword...Everything...
If they are not praising God then why should we support them.

Romans 8:6-7
6The mind of sinful man[a] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.

I say in love, we can not compromise, light and dark do not mix, we can serve only one master.

Hebrews 5:11-14
11We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Ephesians 5:3-4 (New Living Translation)
3 Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people. 4 Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God

God bless

Last edited:
I believe we all should be led by the Holy Spirit within. Of course all secular music is not bad....I wouldn't be convict if I heard "Beauty and the Beast" But just like your pastor said, it is about your position in Christ. If a particular song puts me in a place of temptation and struggle against the lust of my flesh, then I would avoid it at all cost. It is about the food that we feed our Spirits. That is how the satan gets to so many young people today....they continuously listen to songs about bumping, girding, cursing, and drug taking that they are indoctrinated and brainwashed into the bondage of doing such actions. I personally don't want to listen to secular music. Be true and follow God's heart.

I feel like to awnsere that Christian sould listen to Gospel music and any other music that is wright in God's eyes. Christians should not listen to Eminem, Britney Spears, Slipknot or ACDC. That tipe of music is wrong. Music like Celine Dion is still able to listen to alwow 'n listen only Gospel CD's but some of the pop artist's music is wrong.

hey everybody, I was reading everyone's reply to this often asked question and read some great things on it. I have been a Christian for 13 yrs; but before that I listened to every genre there was except Christian and Country music. I danced to most of the ones I could and head banged to the others. AC/DC and Pink Floyd were my favorite groups, but when I got saved "Highway to Hell " and "Dark Side of the Moon" were places I did not want go any more, now I want a "Mansion on a Hilltop" and "I Can Only Imagine" the brightness of God's glory all around me as I dance as David danced through the city with his wife watching, despising him in her heart (read II Samuel 6:14-16),

I am yrs 52 years old and weigh 240 pounds, my passion for God is strong and I dance for the Lord almost every time our church doors are open. You see I was confined to a wheelchair until a month ago and my dancing is my thanks to the Lord. It may seem foolish to some and that is OK, but to those that know my heart get a blessing from it, I know this because they come up after services and tell me they would love to be that free for God. Our youth are known for their exspression dances they do in Sevierville,Tn. and surrounding communities.
Everything you do; read, write, sing, dance, and even going to work has to honor God or it is not of God. Paul told us in Eph.6:18, " pray without ceasing" prayer is worship, worship includes sing and dancing. All I know is that if it isn't for God than don't do it. IT'S HOLY GHOST TIME!!!

Last edited:
Music is really just sound energy and as such, is completely amoral. Noone can really say that this music is Godly and that music is not. For myself, I am drawn toward jazz because I appreciate the intricacies of that musical form. I don't even think rock music with bad lyrics is all that bad as long as the listener takes it for what it is ...frivilous entertainment. Where I think the danger lies...is when people start emulating the music. Myself, I have tried every which way to Sunday, and I just cannot get into so-called "Christian Music". It just doesn't make it for me, regardless of how wonderful the lyrics are supposed to be.

all the best...

Last edited:
I also think a Christian should listen to Gospel music or any music that are honering God. If music is wrong Christians should stay away from it.

I personally do not like "gospel" music. It may be God honoring but I just detest it. It is like sand paper to my soul. I perfer Christian contemporay music (Casting Crowns, Third Day, Sanctus Real) It ROCKS!! My soul is encouraged and my focus is on My Savior.

Hi Brother

I see your post O.P is dated 07. Forgive me if I reply....beyond the 'sell by date' HaHa

I enjoy the whole spectrum of music. A musician myself I appreciate all who can perform in music. I enjoy listening to music particularly if it is 'well played'....etc.

Such enjoyment does not detract from my 'walk/faith' in Jesus....Indeed not

Our talents are 'God given' ...and God forbid the untalented in such area to restrict you and I who indulge

In His Love