• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What to do about my family using the Lords name in vain

I am sick and tired of hearing My Lord's name being used in vain. It's mainly my mom that does it and it angers me a great deal, the Lords name is not to be used as a curse word yet she does it. I've expressed to her in the past about how she shouldn't use it but she continues, she used to just say Jesus (not that that's ok) and now She'll say "Jesus Christ" and it's probably just me but I feel like she does it to bother me. My mother is not the type that you can sit down and have a conversation with, you can't reason with her. It's like the part of the brain that's responsible for rationalizing is turned completely off concerning this and just about all matters.. She once expressed that she doesn't like that I'm religious. She now has my little sister using God's name in vain (saying oh my God). This is REALLY!! getting to me and at times I wanna flip out but she's my mother and so I must watch how I talk to her, at times I have not dared to say anything but I hate hearing is Holy name being used in that manor. I have wanted to move out because of this and many other reasons but I don't really have anywhere else to go (there is my grandmother but I honestly don't wanna live there) and I'm jobless so I obviously can't afford my own place. I'm already going thrue alot spiritually and this is not helping. Any advice on how I can deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Staff Member
The love of Christ constraineth us
2 Corinthians 5:14

Seeker Of Jesus

Yes, I agree it is horrible to hear our dear Lord's name taken in vain, especially if it is by someone close to you. Because your mom isn't a Christian she won't have any conviction that what she is doing is wrong.

The way that you react is important......the niggled 'self' in you will understandably be feeling angry and fed up with it....you say you feel sick and tired of it. The devil will push at more buttons to try to get you to react angrily etc

Prayerfully ask the Lord to turn things round within you so that your feelings are turned into active prayer and compassion for your mother.
She is a lost soul who Jesus died for...who Jesus wants to save.

Ask the Lord to guard your tongue from reacting in anyway other than in His love.

As your signature says.....

I wish to become translucent as glass so that the Light of Jesus Christ shines through me.

Remember His Word and His steadfast promises

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Philippians 4:13

Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
Colossians 1:11

Praise the Lord for your Salvation and that you can shine as a light in your home for Him.

Pray and believe that one day your lost mom will call out the name of the Lord in repentance and be wonderfully saved.

Blessings

Julia

All things work together for good to them that love God
Romans 8:28

He is able....to save to the uttermost
Hebrews 7:25

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Lord’s name is used as a swear word so often today it is picked up and used by many even at a young age. When I was younger in the Lord it was as though a knife had pierced my heart hearing our Lord’s name taken in vain. Then one day I don’t remember when I decided to turn it around and Thank Jesus and bless His name in my mind and be thankful He saved me. I would normally say ‘Thankyou Jesus, bless your holy name’ whenever I heard it from any source. It is a constant reminder I need Him. This has brought a lot of peace to me over the years when His name is taken in vain. Even at times I may even pray for that individual under my breath.

May you find some peace too.
God Bless

Last edited:
Hello Seeker of Jesus.

There is an interesting statement made by Jesus,

Matthew 12:32

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him;
but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him,
either in this age or in the age to come.

Lots of people use the name of the Lord in vain, i think Jesus will forgive that.
It is not pleasant to hear in the workplace, I always notice it.

A friend of mine from work went on a holiday to Rome for two weeks.

He came back and said to me he was shocked how widespread the profanities
were relating to Jesus Christ. He could not come to terms
with the swearing using the Lords name. This was from a non Christian
by the way, he was very accustomed to swearing himself.

You will have to lean on Jesus for assistance with this problem.

I would not swap places with you.

Last edited:
Active
I sure understand this problem!! My earthly dad could curse the wallpaper off of the wall! So we all followed this terrible example. In fact I was real bad at this my own self! After Jesus came into my life,he dealt with me on much of this in my own life,as he did you all!

Now how to stop the family?? How to get the family to only use our Lord's name,in a most highly regarded fashion! All the time!! I did as you did with them,and like you it sure did not work!! In fact it only got worse,and yes you are most correct!! They are doing this because it bothers you! First we must understand this scripture.

Matt 10:31-37!! NOW!!! Just before this scripture Jesus tells us how we must act towards our own household!!(Matt 10:16!!) We must be shrewd!!! So here is what I did! Instead of getting mad, which is what they want you to be. When she says Jesus Christ,you say, mom I am so glad you are calling on him for your problems!! LOL

Now she will get mad at you for this,and say I am not calling on him,I am using him because of my circumstances. Then you play as if you thought she was calling on him for help,and ask how you can help her?? LOL

Now this will take some time,because they all will test you alot,but pretty soon they will stop this,because they know it does not bother you,it only makes you more better as they wish they could be.

Darkness does not like the light,but light shows,it does not speak. Then once those who see the light come unto the light!! THEN!!!!! Light speaks! This took my family about a year,now when my brother gets mad, and swears my own mother corrects him!! LOL

She does not like to hear God's name taken in vain anymore either! And because of this fact,my brother has stopped for the most part. Oh once in a while he will go off,but mom is there to sternly correct him!

And she was as bad as both of us before!! LOL Being shrewd is not easy! Because to be shrewd we must put off our own feeling we have,to save the feeling of others. Now there are so many bad words people use,so pray to the Lord he will give you the wisdom to stay shrewd in HIM!

The idea is to turn them around to face the light,without you turning them! For as you know,we can do nothing in ourselfs! It must come from Holy Spirit! This is just a thought for you bro. I know it is tough! It took my family a year and a half to turn around to Jesus.BUT!!! They did!

And I treated them as if they already had! Do not put on a sad face to them,do not look mean at them,they are looking at you to see how you will react! If you appear that this does not bother you,then there purpose of doing it is fruitless,and they will stop it! Like all things, it takes time. It took time,22 years of time for me to follow.So give them a break as well. grace can be seen as well as love.But to be seen one must present this to another to see. Blessing always to you!

So here is what I did! Instead of getting mad, which is what they want you to be. When she says Jesus Christ,you say, mom I am so glad you are calling on him for your problems!! LOL

My thoughts on that have been so similar! He could say to his mom : "oh, I usually pray silently, but you go ahead and call on the Lord out loud if you want". What can she say back, to such a non-threatening statement ????

Hello Brighthouse.

I wish you had posted before me, not after.

Makes my effort look meaningless.

Very good post Brighthouse.

We can make no person be who they arent..How ever you can live a right life before them and God and pray the Holy Spirit to convict them of thier ways before the lord ..in the meantime ..Preach the Gospel and when needed use words ...we are living epistles before all men ..To push how you feel wil drive them further from the Lord .How ever the sweet aroma of Christ will draw them to Him in His time ..be patient and rember we were all sinners before we accepted Christ as our savior .christs last words ..Father forgive them They know not what they do...it is finished....REV

Active
Your efforts are far from meaningless David!! How do you think many receives things from the Lord?? From others in the Lord of course!! It is not that one post is better then anothers,it is that a part of the post,adds to the rest of the parts people share making a whole part for us all!! amen!! Thanks so much for adding a very important part as well!! Light can be seen in darkness,if one looks! As you have spoken so well in. For many walk in the dark with there eyes closed. I remember I used to.why?? For the same reason I was in the closet in the first place!! Fear! Thanks for all you all do here!!2 Thess 2:13-17!!

Love and Prayer

I work with guys that do it all the time. I have learnt over time, its better to be a light shining in a dark room. Be you and live it, in that don't judge them, just pray for them. The pain they are in, not being in Jesus is bad. Pray aloud and understand the Lord has you here for a reason, don't blow it on ideas of the flesh IE(what you Think), do what God knows, love and prayer and when you get done with that, try more love and prayer.

Oh and another thing, Jesus does not need us to fight his battles or fight of some wovles, He wants us to do as He asked, love and prayer. The world is falling badly falling fast because we sometimes forget who we are or who we are meant to be in Christ. Love and prayer, love them and pray for them, then love them some more. In the end you may win your mother to Jesus, if not at least you would have won Jesus to you because of love and prayer. In this you can't lose. The other way all lose, so love and prayer...

Blessing T

Forgot this, it may help

Jesus rises from the dead<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Here's the real miracle of the resurrection: Jesus Christ defeated death. Do you know what that means? We don't have to be afraid of death anymore. In Christ we will live forever. We are free to be who God calls us to be, free to risk it all, because there is nothing that can ultimately hurt us. The worst thing that could happen is that we could die, and that's not so bad. Out of His death on the cross, Christ has given us life . . . and the freedom to live it to its fullest.

This helped me some times ago, not sure who wrote it.
Blessing T

what can you do? people in my family do it too. it annoys me as well. but it isnt the end of the world. if its stressing you out to the point you want to move out/run away and God has you where you are(obviously) then maybe he wants to work some patience into you. basicly i am thinking maybe God is trying to do a work in you. grow you. you said you are sick and tired of hearing...
cast all of your anxiety on the Lord because he cares for you. you may have to do quite a bit of casting because people keep talking. God dont want you sick and tired. He dont want you stressed. He wants you to rest in Him. and where He is there is peace.
also accept they do this. not saying agree with it. just accept it. they may not change. but instead of using your energy of being sick and tired to be sick and tired, use that energy to focus on the fact God said not be using his name in vain and there is a much bigger issue here than you being sick and tired. their soul is the important issue here. and i am sure if you was to get Gods input he would say similar.
maybe God is trying to perfect love in you.

The love of Christ constraineth us
2 Corinthians 5:14

Seeker Of Jesus

Yes, I agree it is horrible to hear our dear Lord's name taken in vain, especially if it is by someone close to you. Because your mom isn't a Christian she won't have any conviction that what she is doing is wrong.

The way that you react is important......the niggled 'self' in you will understandably be feeling angry and fed up with it....you say you feel sick and tired of it. The devil will push at more buttons to try to get you to react angrily etc

Prayerfully ask the Lord to turn things round within you so that your feelings are turned into active prayer and compassion for your mother.
She is a lost soul who Jesus died for...who Jesus wants to save.

Ask the Lord to guard your tongue from reacting in anyway other than in His love.

As your signature says.....

Remember His Word and His steadfast promises

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Philippians 4:13

Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
Colossians 1:11

Praise the Lord for your Salvation and that you can shine as a light in your home for Him.

Pray and believe that one day your lost mom will call out the name of the Lord in repentance and be wonderfully saved.

Blessings

Julia

All things work together for good to them that love God
Romans 8:28

He is able....to save to the uttermost
Hebrews 7:25
Why write a response in purple? I wish I could read your response and yet I sadly can't. Purple on black makes it difficult to read.

Staff Member
Why write a response in purple? I wish I could read your response and yet I sadly can't. Purple on black makes it difficult to read.
Dear Bornagainviking,
At the bottom of each page, the option for "light mode" or "night mode" is available and might be of help in seeing the color used by some. I am like most that use the light mode, so attempt to change those who use night, and the lighter text colors, like white or yellow. :) Oh, I know it makes me biased to the "light mode" over "night mode" but then I guess it's a majority usage issue! lol

I have seen that "Orange" works for both, who will make the change of the post in question to that color instead of the purple which I am sure disappears in the night mode!

Oh, by the way, welcome to Talk Jesus an online community of Jesus Christ believers!!!
I hope you will find fellowship, and growth in God's Word while here!

With the Love of Christ, again, be welcomed!
Nick
\o/
<><
P.S. Also remember that this an old thread and the post in question from 2012. The site has gone under some upgrades since then, which could have also not helped with the coloring. Just thought I'd let you know! If I can help in anyway, please let me know via Private Message (PM). \o/