• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

What is the Purpose for Scriptures in the Bible?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
The primary and most important purpose for Holy scriptures is it “TESTIFIES”, and points to Jesus Christ as the Son of God. This would also be known as “INSTRUCTING ONE IN RIGHTEOUSNESS.” Jesus said....

John 5:39 SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are THEY WHICH TESTIFY OF ME.

We also find this about those things which were “WRITTEN” in the former days.

Rom 15:4 For whatever WAS WRITTEN IN FORMER DAYS WAS WRITTEN FOR OUR INSTRUCTION, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

The scriptures which were written in the Old Testament were written for our “INSTRUCTION”, or learning.

2Ti 3:16 ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD, and is profitable FOR DOCTRINE, for REPROOF, for CORRECTION, for INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The Bible is a book of “instruction in righteousness” for “doctrine”, “reproof”, “correction”, “learning”, and it testifies, and points to the fact that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

The Apostle John tells us the purpose why he wrote the Gospel of John.

John 20:31 But THESE ARE WRITTEN, THAT YE MIGHT BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Example: When a man who is looking for answers for his life, hears the “SCRIPTURES”, ( the Gospel) in what he must do, it will “INSTRUCT” him that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, for that is its primary purpose. Now what does this man do after finding this out? The scriptures also “INSTRUCTS HIM IN RIGHTEOUSNESS” In how to get to know this person as his savior.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

It is very interesting to know that “SCRIPTURES” is what we read with our physical eyes, and hear with physical ears, but the Word of God is what we hear with our hearts (spirit)!!! Which means we can hear the scriptures being spoken all day long and never hear the Word of God!! Jesus said “my words are spirit, and they are life”. We do not hear spirit with our physical ears, and we do not read “spirit” with our physical eyes. It is only with man's spirit that these things can be discerned.

Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mat 13:15 FOR THIS PEOPLE'S HEART IS WAXED GROSS, AND THEIR EARS ARE DULL OF HEARING, and their eyes they have closed; LEST AT ANY TIME THEY SHOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Every single person Jesus spoke and taught to all had ears, and eyes. They all heard his words, and they all saw what he did, but it was not with their hearts that they were using to hear the Word of God. They just heard words that did them no good. Their “HEARTS” (spirit) had become hardened because of sin.

The person who WILL hear the Word of God is the man, or woman who makes a decision FIRST that they are going to do what God tells them when they hear it. If a person decides they are going first hear the Word of God and then decide later if they will do it or not, will never hear the Word of God.

Becoming a child of God is not like going to pay less shoes, and trying on a pair of shoes to see if you like them first before purchasing. We know within our self's we a sinners and have need of a savior, which means we will do whatever it takes first to come to God.

John 7:17 If ANY MAN DESIRES TO DO HIS WILL (God's pleasure), HE WILL KNOW (HAVE THE NEEDED ILLUMINATION TO RECOGNIZE, AND CAN TELL FOR HIMSELF) WHETHER THE TEACHING IS FROM GOD or whether I am speaking from Myself and of My own accord and on My own authority. (AMP)

The Lord God looks on the intents, and purposes of man;s heart to see if he really wants salvation, and if he does, then the Word of God will speak to him, and he will hear it to instruct him in righteousness.