• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What is Heaven Like?

Loyal
What is Heaven like according to scripture, please include scripture verses and confirm which Bible version you have taken them from.

Include details from scripture of Heaven now, and The New Heaven what are we to expect?

There is quite a bit of scripture about this topic, hopefully together we and others can have a glimpse of Heaven as it will be, not as is often portrayed in worldly ways.

Blessing \o/

Last edited:
Isaiah 65:17-25 ESV
For behold, I create new heavens
and a new earth,
and the former things shall not be remembered
or come into mind.
But be glad and rejoice forever
in that which I create;
for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy,
and her people to be a gladness.
I will rejoice in Jerusalem
and be glad in my people;
no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping
and the cry of distress.
No more shall there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not fill out his days,
for the young man shall die a hundred years old,
and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
They shall build houses and inhabit them;
they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
They shall not build and another inhabit;
they shall not plant and another eat;
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be,
and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
They shall not labor in vain
or bear children for calamity,
for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the Lord,
and their descendants with them.
Before they call I will answer;
while they are yet speaking I will hear.
The wolf and the lamb shall graze together;
the lion shall eat straw like the ox,
and dust shall be the serpent's food.
They shall not hurt or destroy
in all my holy mountain,”
says the Lord.

Loyal
Isaiah 65:17-25 ESV
For behold, I create new heavens
and a new earth,
and the former things shall not be remembered
or come into mind.
But be glad and rejoice forever
in that which I create;
for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy,
and her people to be a gladness.
I will rejoice in Jerusalem
and be glad in my people;
no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping
and the cry of distress.
No more shall there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not fill out his days,
for the young man shall die a hundred years old,
and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
They shall build houses and inhabit them;
they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
They shall not build and another inhabit;
they shall not plant and another eat;
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be,
and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
They shall not labor in vain
or bear children for calamity,
for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the Lord,
and their descendants with them.
Before they call I will answer;
while they are yet speaking I will hear.
The wolf and the lamb shall graze together;
the lion shall eat straw like the ox,
and dust shall be the serpent's food.
They shall not hurt or destroy
in all my holy mountain,”
says the Lord.
One of passages in the Bible that I go back to again to recentre and focus myself. If I could save only ten pages of the Bible from a burning building, this would one of them.

Notice it's describing the hope of creation redeemed and renewed rather than heaven.

Staff Member
And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever
Revelation 22:5

John's vision in Revelation - a beautiful message about eternity for the believer.

Loyal
I read a book called Heaven by Randy alcorn 500 plus pages and it was all based on scripture, I see if I have some time and dig into it and share here a little

this is off the top of my head

Revelation 22:2
Through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

could it be a way to keep time? as the fruit is yielding each month

Loyal
I read a book called Heaven by Randy Alcorn 500 plus pages and it was all based on scripture, I see if I have some time and dig into it and share here a little
this is off the top of my head

Revelation 22:2
Through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

could it be a way to keep time? as the fruit is yielding each month

I have that book also Dave M, it is a good book, I would say recommended reading and as you say scripture based. It is a long time since I read it but it is in my ebook library.

This thread as got off to a really good start thanks to all who have, and who will post scripture related to Heaven on here, our picture of Heaven will grow like the picture of a jigsaw as God has provided us with the pieces.

Blessings \o/

Loyal
It seems there is a temple (tabernacle) in the current heaven. This temple was not made by man.

Heb 8:2; a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man.
Heb 9:11; But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation;
Heb 9:23; Therefore it was necessary for the copies of the things in the heavens to be cleansed with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Heb 9:24; For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us;

The temple of Earth was a copy of this heavenly temple.
However it seems eventually there will be a new heavens (and a new Earth), it seems there will be no temple there.

Rev 21:22; I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.

I have also wondered about the throne and the trees.

Ezek 47:12 "By the river on its bank, on one side and on the other, will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither and their fruit will not fail. They will bear every month because their water flows from the sanctuary, and their fruit will be for food and their leaves for healing."

Bear fruit every month? Leaves for healing? This seems remarkably like...

Rev 22:2; in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

The sea of glass? (mixed with fire?)

Rev 4:6; and before the throne there was something like a sea of glass, like crystal; and in the center and around the throne, four living creatures full of eyes in front and behind.
Rev 15:2; And I saw something like a sea of glass mixed with fire, and those who had been victorious over the beast and his image and the number of his name, standing on the sea of glass, holding harps of God.

Loyal
@B-A-C

Thanks for your post brother, thank you also for detailing Heaven now and the New Heaven, it is good to distinguish and compare them.

What a picture scripture gives us of Heaven, even with the few pieces of scripture so far.

Blessings \o/

Staff Member
And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.
Revelation 8:4

Loyal
And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.
Revelation 8:4

This scripture relates to the current heaven...

As we know, but some readers may not, It is at the mid way point between the Tribulation and the Great Tribulation, it follows the half hour silence in heaven.

Silence in heaven is a lull before the storm, silence in heaven is also mentioned in Zechariah 2:10-13

Last edited:
Active
Ultimately, it will be what t is....since God created it, "I can only imagine" ! It is God's realm and there will be no pain, no sin...perfect love. The way I look at it is, God said that we will have all of Jesus's inheritance....it is a place of endless possibilities!

Loyal
As we know the following is one of the best known scripture read out at funerals, of the saved and the lost.

But it is a good starting point when looking at what scripture says heaven will be really like, but it is only a starting point for the one true church, baptised, born again, spirit filled believers worldwide.

John 14:1-6 (NKJV)
1 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
4 And where I go you know, and the way you know."
5 Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?"
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

We have the promises here...
- If it was not so Jesus would have said, so it is as He says PTL
- I will come again and receive you to Myself He also says

Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen

Active
When I think of Heaven I usually come up with opinion and questions for which I don't find much Scripture for. I know, for example, that Jesus is busy preparing a place for each of us. (John 14:2) That means it will be perfectly suitable and answers to every aspect of our person...who and how we are. Such a place we could not make for only He really knows us. He knows us better than we know ourselves.

But also, how will I act toward others there and towards Christ there. In other words, how will my relationships to man and God really play out. God and Christ are to always be worshiped. But am I going to always be on my knees, face to the ground, with Christ before me, for eternity? Of course not. And when we are busy about doing things, and Christ happens to come upon the scene, can I go over and extend a hand to shake his hand and say, good to see you? Personally, I believe so. For after all, I am a son of God also, though not The Son of God. And is not Christ my Brother?

And what of the relationships of men and women. Will there be affection between them? Sex? Some may think that is absurd. Perhaps, but think of this. God made Adam and Eve perfect. And sex was very much part of their relationship. It was not a product of the fall. Will it be done away with now that we are in Heaven? Will men and women still have genitals or have we all been neutered? To me that sounds absurd. But here again, I am just thinking as I don't know.

And what about the angels? I know we will then be above the angels. But what will my relationship to them be like? Or their relationship to me? Will they have a personality where you can converse with them? Will they be as servants or slaves to us?

Quantrill

Loyal
When I think of Heaven I usually come up with opinion and questions for which I don't find much Scripture for. I know, for example, that Jesus is busy preparing a place for each of us. (John 14:2) That means it will be perfectly suitable and answers to every aspect of our person...who and how we are. Such a place we could not make for only He really knows us. He knows us better than we know ourselves.

But also, how will I act toward others there and towards Christ there. In other words, how will my relationships to man and God really play out. God and Christ are to always be worshiped. But am I going to always be on my knees, face to the ground, with Christ before me, for eternity? Of course not. And when we are busy about doing things, and Christ happens to come upon the scene, can I go over and extend a hand to shake his hand and say, good to see you? Personally, I believe so. For after all, I am a son of God also, though not The Son of God. And is not Christ my Brother?

And what of the relationships of men and women. Will there be affection between them? Sex? Some may think that is absurd. Perhaps, but think of this. God made Adam and Eve perfect. And sex was very much part of their relationship. It was not a product of the fall. Will it be done away with now that we are in Heaven? Will men and women still have genitals or have we all been neutered? To me that sounds absurd. But here again, I am just thinking as I don't know.

And what about the angels? I know we will then be above the angels. But what will my relationship to them be like? Or their relationship to me? Will they have a personality where you can converse with them? Will they be as servants or slaves to us?

Quantrill
Jesus answered the question about men and women at the resurrection

Matt 22:30-32

For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is God not of the dead, but of the living.”

I'm not sure about humans becoming greater than angels, though. Where does that idea come from?

Loyal

Quantrill

It is good you are thinking brother,trying to visualise what heaven will be like but what ever we think must come from scripture.

Some of your questions are jumping forward, I feel the thirst, a thirst we should all have.

In heaven there will be perfect peace, which transcends our understanding now, so that we can only visualise now, except for knowing it will be 'perfect'.

We will be perfect also with our 'new bodies' made in His Image, so question may come to mind, will I be Quantrill, will I be brother Paul, the answer to that will be no, because He knows us by name, so we will still be the people we are.

We will not be getting down on our knees every time we see Jesus, but will give Him the reverence He asks us for, it will be so natural brother, as Adam and Eve in the garden when God walked amongst them. A few clues lie in Paradise before it was lost, in the Garden of Eden, before the fall.

As our thirst progresses, as we find out more and add the jigsaw pieces together, we will want to know more, there is a lot in scripture, sufficient for us in this life, but God rightfully does not tell us everything, He wants us to search His Word, He wants us to thirst, He wants us to image what it will be like, that is why He has shared some of it. Thanks be to God. Amen.

Will their be relationships between man and woman? No.

Will man and woman have sex, the first question also answers this one? No.

Galatians 3:26-29 (NKJV)
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free,
there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Adam and Eve were made to reproduce, to multiply, all that is done with, the right number will be in heaven, God has this in hand.
In heaven there is neither male nor female.

There is a lot in scripture which we sometimes do not see, we are crossing the highway to heaven looking the other way, the message is talking to us another way, or we are studying another topic.

Here is another question which scripture does not give us the answer, will we be the age we die when in heaven? If so there will be a lot of old people! But what about the babies who died, including those in the womb? There is no answer to this but Jesus died in His early thirties, in His prime, so will we be as we were in our prime, we don't know that we will have to wait and see.

Imagine, we will meet, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Isaiah, Mary the mother of pour Lord, then there is Peter, Paul and more. Imagine. Then we may ask how will we speak and understand each other, will we still speak English? How will we understand Hebrew and Greek, or any other language. The answers lie in scripture.

Acts 2:1-47 (NKJV)
1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused,
because everyone heard them speak in his own language.
Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?

9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretans and Arabs--we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God."
12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "Whatever could this mean?"
13 Others mocking said, "They are full of new wine."
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.
16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17 'And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; And they shall prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in heaven above And signs in the earth beneath: Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood, Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.
21 And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the LORD Shall be saved.'
22 "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know--
23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death;
24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it.
25 For David says concerning Him: 'I foresaw the LORD always before my face, For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.
26 Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad; Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope.
27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
28 You have made known to me the ways of life; You will make me full of joy in Your presence.'
29 "Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne,
31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.
32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses.
33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself: 'The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand,
35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool." '
36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."
37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"
38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."
40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation."
41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them.
42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.
44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common,
45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,
47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Language was not an issue until Babel, but at Pentecost language was still not an issue, God makes everything possible according to His will for His chosen people.

Bless you \o/

Loyal
Angels

Hebrews 1:5-14 (NKJV)
5 For to which of the angels did He ever say: "You are My Son, Today I have begotten You"? And again: "I will be to Him a Father, And He shall be to Me a Son"?
6 But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: "Let all the angels of God worship Him."
7 And of the angels He says: "Who makes His angels spirits And His ministers a flame of fire."
8 But to the Son He says: "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your Kingdom.
9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions."
10 And: "You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
11 They will perish, but You remain; And they will all grow old like a garment;
12 Like a cloak You will fold them up, And they will be changed. But You are the same, And Your years will not fail."
13 But to which of the angels has He ever said: "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool"?

14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?

In Hebrews 2:6-9 we are told that when the second person of the Godhead took on human flesh and became the Son of Man, whom we call Jesus Christ, He was lower than the angels. That is, while He existed in human flesh, He was lower than the angels.

Hebrews 2:6-9 (NKJV)
6 But one testified in a certain place, saying: "What is man that You are mindful of him, Or the son of man that You take care of him?
7 You have made him a little lower than the angels; You have crowned him with glory and honor, And set him over the works of Your hands.
8 You have put all things in subjection under his feet." For in that He put all in subjection under him, He left nothing that is not put under him. But now we do not yet see all things put under him.

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

Luke 20:34-36 (NKJV)
34 And Jesus answered and said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage.
35 But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;
36 nor can they die anymore,
for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

But then we read this, so are we greater than the angels?

1 Corinthians 6:3 (NKJV)
3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels?

I am left with the thought, does it matter, more study would be required, some may have already studied angels and could comment more.

Loyal
FUTURE HEAVEN our FUTURE HOPE with the Lord forever

Here is another starter from scripture as we add the pieces and see more clearly what Heaven will be like.

Revelation 21:1-8 (NKJV)
1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.
Also there was no more sea.
2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.
And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."
5 Then He who sat on the throne said, "
Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful."
6 And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.
7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Loyal
one thought that crosses my mind is how good we will know each and every person,

Compare it to when you are growing up say with a sibling, you know your family inside and out because you have spent 15 years with them or how ever long,

so know we have all of eternity to spend together, I would think by the time a billion years pass by we will all know each other inside and out, but that is just thought,

After the 1,000 year reign of Christ it does not appear anyone will be getting added to heaven,

Loyal
can we know that we wont sin in heaven?? after all Adam and eve sinned in paradise, and satin who was made perfect sinned in heaven.

Loyal
FUTURE HEAVEN our FUTURE HOPE with the Lord forever

Here is another starter from scripture as we add the pieces and see more clearly what Heaven will be like.

Revelation 21:1-8 (NKJV)
1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.
Also there was no more sea.
2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.
And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."
5 Then He who sat on the throne said, "
Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful."
6 And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.
7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
The location of this passage is the renewed earth as we will experience it at the resurrection.