Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

What Is Faith?

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by Sam Canvas, Apr 2, 2018.

Random Thread
  1. According to The New Testament, those who have accepted Christ can and should have faith in God. In spiritual matters our instinct, senses and feelings are an unreliable guide. We must remember that “…we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal” (2nd Corinthians 4:18, NKJV).

We may well ask, “What is faith?” How does it work in our lives? Faith is the inner assurance of everything Christians hope to receive from God. It’s the evidence of things they can never grasp with the senses. Faith releases the power of God into our circumstances. By faith we make real the things hoped for, because faith is the evidence of things not seen. Faith is a confident expectation that God will make a difference according to His will.

In Matthew 9 we read about two blind men who followed Jesus hoping to be healed. They shouted, “Have pity on us!” Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they replied. What Jesus said next tells us something about the nature of faith: “According to your faith and trust and reliance [on the power invested in Me] be it done to you” (Amplified Bible).

We learn from this that faith changes circumstances according to God’s will, to His glory, just like the woman with the flow of blood mentioned in the preceding verses. To her He said, “Your faith has made you well.” Faith releases God’s purpose and intervention into our needy circumstances. So faith is much more than hoping for the best.

Christians who trust God fully believe they already have what they prayed for before they receive it. This is a biblical definition of true God-trusting faith, and it certainly isn’t common.

Those who have been born again live by faith. Because Christ was raised from the dead, faith in God is never pointless. Faith has nothing to do with human philosophy and reason. True faith rests on the power of God (read 1st Corinthians 2:4, 5). The Christian’s faith is usually put to the test when life overflows with deep need, pain, temptation and, at times, the suffocating misery of grief. Need and fear throw us on God, but often when the need has gone, so are we.

The New Testament tells us that the living by-products of a faith-filled relationship with God are kindness, selflessness, love, joy, peace, self-control. These subdue and replace godless human behaviour we know so well: hatred, sexual immorality, greed, outbursts of anger, selfishness, drunkenness.

Dave M likes this.
  2. And if our faith seems insufficient to the task at hand, can we not and should we not ask for help?

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
    And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.
    When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
    And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.
    But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose." Mark 9:23-27

3. Amen!
    Faith is trust.

Dave M likes this.
  4. Hmm seems like Faith is a Life Style.

Sent from a mobile device
    B-A-C likes this.
  5. My brother, that is not the definition of faith.

Dictionary: 1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something. 2. Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

Bible: Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

You have presented a 'type' of faith and defined it as faith. You have also not specified the 'type'. What exactly does a Christian hope to receive from God? What are you inferring?

Scripture?

We must grasp. Eph 3:18 may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.

What faith? What power?

There is: Faith in God, faith in grey aliens.

Then Faith in God has categories like:

1. Faith that God exists
    2. Faith that God is all powerful and can do something we would call a miracle
    3. Faith that God is good
    4. Faith that God does not change
    5. Faith that God considers humans

So, please specify exactly what faith you are referring to.

What things hoped for? What faith is a confident expectation? What is 'His will' you are referring to?

Jesus said this to non Christians. Do you think a person who believed He could heal will now also accept Him as Lord and Savior? Be given a measure of faith (Rom 12:3) to believe this? Jesus was looking for a smidget of faith with which to work. People who had faith heal them were healed by their faith in a man called Jesus doing miracles. Not by a Christian type belief in Jesus being God. Peter walked on water before He knew Jesus was God Matt 16:16-17.

So this example of faith is not the example we should teach to fellow Christians.

So you are saying that according to our faith to ''According to your faith and trust and reliance be it done to you'' IE our measure of faith, God will act?

That is like telling your child, according to their level of trust they will get food tonight. It is an applicable message to the neighbors kid, who is not in your house.

Judaism.

Lets just properly clarify this ''faith'' a Christian has.

A Christian has been given a revelation to believe a man who walked the earth 2000 years ago is 1. God of the universe. 2. Died for their sins and 3. Will keep them with Him for all eternity. 1 Cor 12:3. Matt 16:16-17.

Our God given faith is that Christ was raised from the dead.

This I agree with this. Well said.

The only thing a Christian has comfort in, is in knowing, good or bad, that God is good and has a reason for all He does. We are to be content in all circumstances Phil 4:12. We give thanks because God is good Psalm 136:1. Job trusted / had faith in God through all he endured.

We are children of God. Not people walking past Jesus, looking for a miracle.

6. It sure is.
    Without faith we have no defense against temptation.
    Without faith we have no hope.
    If our faith only applies to part of our lives, we would be identified as double-minded.

Wired 4 Fishen likes this.
  7. I can't define faith as much as it defines me.
    I had it as a child but somewhere along the way I lost it.
    God gave it back to me and as a result, I am and he is!

8. Faith is a spirit, and that spirit comes when it hears the Word of God. A man / woman filled with the Word of God is also filled with the spirit of faith.

2Co 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

9. God gives to each Christian a share of faith and from there, our faith grow by hearing the word of God!

Wired 4 Fishen likes this.
  10. #10 Curtis, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Romans 12:3 ........God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

If God has dealt to every man the measure of faith, and if faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God, then the measure of faith would be according to how much of the Word of God you have with in you. If faith increases, or grows then the amount of faith one might have is according to the measure of the amount of the Word of God one has in his or her heart.

Every promise contained in scripture gives the exact amount of faith needed to bring to pass that promise.

Born Again 2004 likes this.
  11. Actually that's not such a good thought.
    All men are given thee measure of Faith when they are born again.

Now its from this point on that Faith is built apon and growing towards maturity.

We all start with the measure or seed of faith - what we do with it from that point on determines the level or strength of faith one has.

Blessings

12. Romans 12:3 ........God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

If God has dealt to every man the measure of faith, and if faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God, then the measure of faith would be according to how much of the Word of God you have with in you. If faith increases, or grows then the amount of faith one might have is according to
    Brother, nobody can have a measure of faith without first hearing the Word of God from where it comes from. Don't forget "God is the Word"

13. At least we all can agree :You don't find it, you don't make it....it is given by God's grace, a gift! Then it grows by hearing the word of God.

14. Is it possible for a person to have faith in one area of their life, and zero faith in another area? And if they had zero faith in one area, is it because their faith in the area they have faith in is not strong enough to cover the other?

15. Please can you explain to me 'what' faith grows?

In an area you believe your faith is strong, what is that area and what is that faith?

No offence, but your statements are currently making absolutely no sense to me. What faith are you referring to?

16. Well scripture says Gods truth is Hidden from the world, so one must be born again to be able to understand Spiritual things of God..

17. All believers have faith in their salvation, but not all have faith for healing of their body. How can faith in one area not cover the other?

18. There is no doubt that we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden widom which God ordained for our glory...
    The Lord gives wisdom and out of his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
    Only the Lord God can give understanding to either a unbeliever, or a beliver, but the unbeliever must first decide to do the will of God before it is revealed to him.

19. By this you mean getting born again.