• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

What does the Olive Tree Represent?

Active
'The LORD called thy name, A green olive tree,
fair, and of goodly fruit:
with the noise of a great tumult He hath kindled fire upon it,
and the branches of it are broken.'
(Jeremiah 11:16)

Hi there,

In Romans 11, Paul takes the figure of the Olive tree from Jeremiah, but he also refers to Jeremiah 31:31 (in Romans 11:27) where the Olive tree is once more complete.

'Behold, the days come, saith the LORD,
.. that I will make a new covenant
.... with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
...... Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers
........ in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;
.......... which my covenant they brake,
............ although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel;
.. After those days, saith the LORD,
.... I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts;
...... and will be their God, and they shall be My People.
........ And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour,
.......... and every man his brother, saying, "Know the LORD":
............ for they shall all know Me,
............... from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD:'
for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.'
(Jeremiah 31:31-34)

* There are some who maintain that the olive tree of Romans 11 is to be found in Christendom today, but such teaching is contrary to Jeremiah 11, Jeremiah 31 and Romans 11 alike.

* The book of Jeremiah consists of 51 prophecies, each introduced by some phrase as, 'The word of the Lord came' The opening prophecy is indicative of all the rest:-

'See I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant' (Jeremiah 1:10)

* The subject of this prophecy are clearly 'nations' and 'kingdoms', not churches. Also the prophecy is two-fold: first, judgment in the form of 'rooting out', and then, restoration in the form of 'planting'.

* The second prophecy in Jeremiah occupies just two verses:-

'Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
"Jeremiah, what seest thou?" And I said, "I see a rod of an almond tree."
Then said the LORD unto me, "Thou hast well seen:
for I will hasten My word to perform it."

(Jeremiah 1:11-12)

* The word for 'almond tree' is 'shaked', and the word for 'hasten' is 'shaked', the almond being called the 'watcher' or 'early waker'. When the time for Israel to be restored, the same word is used again:-

'And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them (shaked), to pluck up, ... ... ... so will I watch over them, ... ... to plant, saith the LORD. ... ... I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:'
(Jeremiah 31:28-31)

* In verses 36 and 37 Israel are assured that they shall not be cast off on account of their misdeeds - a passage which finds an echo in the words of Romans 11:29, 'For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.' Returning to Jeremiah 11:16, and the green olive tree with the broken branches, the prophet interprets the symbol as referring to Israel, and in Jeremiah 12:1, says, 'But if they will not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, saith the Lord' (Jeremiah 12:17)

* In the context of Romans 11:16 also, where Israel is portrayed as an olive tree, see the 'watcher' observing it's disobedience and blindness in Romans 10:21, Romans 11:25-26 and Romans 11:28, declaring Israel to be enemies of the gospel. So there can be no doubt that it is not a church that is in view, but Israel as a nation.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Staff Member
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing Sister,

may i put forth a little to this?

I am reminded of two things.
A remnant or The remnant we read of through different passages of Scripture

and,
those passages that refer to the 'saints' and those who have fallen asleep in Christ.

When we consider, along with what we read in Revelation, where the Apostle saw a New Jerusalem, for example, that the Word to Abraham is steadfast and true, can we see that Israel is preserved or renewed or such like.
We (people?) have turned the title of 'Church' into something different from the Church we are told of in the Bible, but that does not mean that the Church is now not included in the purpose of God and perhaps even is strongly linked and interwoven with Israel (that is, Israel: according to the LORD)

What do you think?

Bless you ....><>

Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; that at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: but now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For He is our peace, Who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in Himself of twain one new man, so making peace; and that He might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: and came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

For through Him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Ephesians 2:11-18

Active
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing Sister,

may i put forth a little to this?

I am reminded of two things.
A remnant or The remnant we read of through different passages of Scripture

and,
those passages that refer to the 'saints' and those who have fallen asleep in Christ.

When we consider, along with what we read in Revelation, where the Apostle saw a New Jerusalem, for example, that the Word to Abraham is steadfast and true, can we see that Israel is preserved or renewed or such like.
We (people?) have turned the title of 'Church' into something different from the Church we are told of in the Bible, but that does not mean that the Church is now not included in the purpose of God and perhaps even is strongly linked and interwoven with Israel (that is, Israel: according to the LORD)

What do you think?

Bless you ....><>
'(Now that He ascended,
what is it but that He also descended first
into the lower parts of the earth?
He that descended is the same also that ascended
up far above all heavens,
that He might fill all things.)
(Ephesians 4:9-10)

Thank you for responding, Br. Bear,
Yes, I agree, Israel as a nation, and the Church, both have their place in the purpose of God. Though at present Israel is still in a Loammi condition, 'not My People'.

* There are three spheres of blessing associated with three companies of the redeemed aren't there?

(1) The Land,
(2) The New Jerusalem and
(3) Far above all.

* The three companies occupying these spheres will be:-

(1) Redeemed Israel
(2) The Bride of the Lamb
(3) The Body of Christ

* The promises associated with each company, and the inheritance that they will occupy is a matter of record, but I am not in a position to supply references at the moment. I will come back (God willing) and supply them.

* I hope that my response is satisfactory, Br. Bear. Please let me know if I have not understood.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Staff Member
Greetings Chris,

thank you for your reply.

I am reminded of John the Baptist (Matthew 3:1) and what we read concerning him and Zacharias :

But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. [note, John meaning: the LORD has been gracious ]
And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Luke 1:13-17

and

And he asked for a writing table,
and wrote, saying, His name is John.
And they marvelled all.
And his mouth was opened immediately,
and his tongue loosed,
and he spake,
and praised God.
And fear came on all that dwelt round about them:
and all these sayings were noised abroad throughout all the hill country of Judaea.
And all they that heard them laid them up in their hearts, saying, What manner of child shall this be!
And the hand of the Lord was with him.

And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost,
and prophesied,
saying,

Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for He hath visited and redeemed His people,a nd hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; as He spake by the mouth of His holy prophets, which have been since the world began: that we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; to perform the mercy promised to our fathers,

and to remember His holy covenant;
the oath which He sware to our father Abraham,
that He would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve Him without fear,

In holiness and righteousness before Him, all the days of our life.

And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways; to give knowledge of salvation unto His people by the remission of their sins, through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, to give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his shewing unto Israel.

Luke 1:63-80

and then we read in Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
============

Sister, not sure if you will receive this as meant, but may the Lord be glorified and may the reading and meditation of this be a blessing

Bless you ....><>

Active

Hi there,

In Romans 11, Paul takes the figure of the Olive tree from Jeremiah, but he also refers to Jeremiah 31:31 (in Romans 11:27) where the Olive tree is once more complete.

........ in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;
............... from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD:'

* There are some who maintain that the olive tree of Romans 11 is to be found in Christendom today, but such teaching is contrary to Jeremiah 11, Jeremiah 31 and Romans 11 alike.

* The book of Jeremiah consists of 51 prophecies, each introduced by some phrase as, 'The word of the Lord came' The opening prophecy is indicative of all the rest:-

'See I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant' (Jeremiah 1:10)

* The subject of this prophecy are clearly 'nations' and 'kingdoms', not churches. Also the prophecy is two-fold: first, judgment in the form of 'rooting out', and then, restoration in the form of 'planting'.

* The word for 'almond tree' is 'shaked', and the word for 'hasten' is 'shaked', the almond being called the 'watcher' or 'early waker'. When the time for Israel to be restored, the same word is used again:-

'And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them (shaked), to pluck up, ... ... ... so will I watch over them, ... ... to plant, saith the LORD. ... ... I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:'

* In verses 36 and 37 Israel are assured that they shall not be cast off on account of their misdeeds - a passage which finds an echo in the words of Romans 11:29, 'For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.' Returning to Jeremiah 11:16, and the green olive tree with the broken branches, the prophet interprets the symbol as referring to Israel, and in Jeremiah 12:1, says, 'But if they will not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, saith the Lord' (Jeremiah 12:17)

* In the context of Romans 11:16 also, where Israel is portrayed as an olive tree, see the 'watcher' observing it's disobedience and blindness in Romans 10:21, Romans 11:25-26 and Romans 11:28, declaring Israel to be enemies of the gospel. So there can be no doubt that it is not a church that is in view, but Israel as a nation.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
There are a couple thoughts that come to mind. " I will put my law in thier

Hi there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Phose isnt co-operating

Active

Hi there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Gods Blessings to all . And our phones . Lol

I have some thoughts, and the more i read with this and Br. Bears thoug. This is what it is .

" I will put my Law in thier inward parts , and write it on thier hearts "

In the New Testiment , it is written that the Circumcision , or the True Circumcision is the Circumcision of the heart . The Circumcision is the binding of the Word with us.

" There are some who maintain that the Olive Tree is to be found in Christendom today "

In the Gospel of John , Chapter 1 it states , in the Beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God "

Jeremiah kept repeating , " the Word of the Lord came "

The Word coming into the world was Jesus

Also in referance to the Two Witnesses, the Two Olive Trees. Again it is what they are , the Word of God amoung us .

Staff Member
Greetings Bill,

the Lord be praised

I am reminded that except ye become as little children.....

and how wonderful it is when we children discover bits of the jigsaw puzzle! How we can get excited and when we are able to find where they fit, we are even happier!

I really like doing jigsaw puzzles with my fellow family in Christ our Lord

(this is simply a comment of joy and enjoyment)

Bless you and Chris ....><>