• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What are your views on smoking?

Do you smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No not now

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Never

Votes: 24 41.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are God's temple and I do believe we should not deliberately destroy that temple.

On the personal side- My dad was a brilliant man, but he lived in denial. he never thought it could happen to him but he died from emphysema. He struggled so hard to breathe that his body consumed his muscle mass looking for the energy to take his next agonizing breath.
After watching this two year horror show I was privileged to have an awful repeat of it as my dear mother in-law died the same miserable, protracted death.
Do not smoke. If you do quit. On average (according to the mortality tables) you will add 10 years to your life.

Staff Member
We are God's temple and I do believe we should not deliberately destroy that temple.
On the personal side- My dad was a brilliant man, but he lived in denial. he never thought it could happen to him but he died from emphysema. He struggled so hard to breathe that his body consumed his muscle mass looking for the energy to take his next agonizing breath.
After watching this two year horror show I was privileged to have an awful repeat of it as my dear mother in-law died the same miserable, protracted death.
Do not smoke. If you do quit. On average (according to the mortality tables) you will add 10 years to your life.

Yes I agree, Boanerges we should not seek to deliberately destroy our bodies but consecrate them to the Lord moment by moment.

And like you in my profession and personally within my family I have seen people die of emphysema and lung cancer. The progress of these diseases are awful to behold

Let us pray compassionately without judgment, for those we know caught up in the habit of smoking

The governing bodies of our countries should ban tobacco sales but of course they get huge a huge revenue from the taxes paid on tobacco, so that will never happen

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Loyal
1 Cor 3:16; Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
1 Cor 3:17; If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

We really need to be careful what we do to our bodies.

Rom 6:19; I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.

This could go beyond cigarettes, but we shouldn't be putting any impurities in our bodies. (Ever read the side of a cigarette carton?)

Last edited:
GOd does not dwell in our flesh! Nothing entering our flesh body Defiles us ! Because our bodies are not HOLY and never will be ! What we speak is what defiles us , Because it comres from our Heart [Spirit] Listen smoking not good! Nor is lots of stuff we do in the flesh ! But it not Sin ! unless we are doing it against GOD ! But if we call anything Sin ? Then it is Sin to Us ! Much in the churches they teach is really evil ! Making people judge others and even bring judgment on them selves! People will look down on other they think are sinning! Then we messing up !
Because GOD sees All of us 100% sinners in the flesh! Only our Spirit after salvation is perfected !

Mat_15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Mar_7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

Isa_42:3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
Mat_12:20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.

Not sure What this smoking Flax is ?
But we need to stop judging others in so much junk !

It only hurts us and them !

We not here to look down on others but to lift them up!

So many have been turned away from churches for so many dumb things ! This does not please GOD!

2Co_10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
There are sin that we should not be allowing! But even them ? If they repent ? then we can fellowship with them again !

Rom_14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

We do not need to be looking for reasons to look down on any ! If we think someone is living in Sin? then we pray for them or fast for them ! the devils are the one who beat others down NOT US

My Grandfather passed Sept last year from lung cancer. He was a heavy smoker in his days. He walked around with a portable oxygen tank all the time, and I have to help him carry it because he was too weak from his COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder).

When my friends ask me if smoking is Biblical, I tell them that they already know enough from anti-smoking programs at school to know that they shouldn't be smoking. Even if there were passages that went on and on about it, the medical facts drawn from these programs should be enough to push them away from it. For example, A single cigarette contains over 4,800 chemicals, 69 of which are known to cause cancer. This fact alone is enough of a motivation for me not to smoke.
By smoking, others around you are also harmed. According to cancer.org, Sidestream smoke has higher concentrations of cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) than mainstream smoke. And, it has smaller particles than mainstream smoke, which make their way into the lungs and the body’s cells more easily. My mother now knows about these facts, so when she visits, she goes outside to smoke so we don't breathe it in.

GOd does not dwell in our flesh! Nothing entering our flesh body Defiles us ! Because our bodies are not HOLY and never will be ! What we speak is what defiles us , Because it comres from our Heart [Spirit] Listen smoking not good! Nor is lots of stuff we do in the flesh ! But it not Sin ! unless we are doing it against GOD ! But if we call anything Sin ? Then it is Sin to Us ! Much in the churches they teach is really evil ! Making people judge others and even bring judgment on them selves! People will look down on other they think are sinning! Then we messing up !
Because GOD sees All of us 100% sinners in the flesh! Only our Spirit after salvation is perfected !

Mat_15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Mar_7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

Isa_42:3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
Mat_12:20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.

Not sure What this smoking Flax is ?
But we need to stop judging others in so much junk !

We not here to look down on others but to lift them up!

So many have been turned away from churches for so many dumb things ! This does not please GOD!

2Co_10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
There are sin that we should not be allowing! But even them ? If they repent ? then we can fellowship with them again !

Rom_14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

We do not need to be looking for reasons to look down on any ! If we think someone is living in Sin? then we pray for them or fast for them ! the devils are the one who beat others down NOT US

Perhaps you misunderstand. No one here has judged or condemned anyone. Instead we are speaking the truth in love to those in terrible bondage. Jesus would not be displeased with that.

\Many blessings in Jesus Name,
your brother Larry.

YEp Not good to smoke or drink much or take drugs or eat too much ! Or look down on others! Most everything we eat and drink that been processed is bad for us in some way! most all the water we drink and other things we drink ! many nedcines are bad for us ? Nothing perfect here on this planet ! But if we grow our own things and raise our own animals to eat ! We might bre lots better off ? But even the seeds they are putting round up in many ! We can only pray over our food and stuff ! The worlds imperfect! We do need to try to check things out we eat or drink or take?
It good your Mother worries about others ! Bless Her for Her LOVE in the might name of our LORD JESUS ! Maybe the LORD will Protect Her !

Once years ago i ws looking for a chuch to go too! I went to this church ! aftyer a few of the men were outside smoking! I told my wife ? Look at those guys smoking ! I not coming back here ! And i never did ! I sure of went back ! I was taught smoking was a sin .It was evil ! it not true ! Sin is rebellion to GOD ! the reasons we do things are more important than ,the thing we do ! but some things are very evil too God ! Like marriage is Holy too Him ! What we eat and drink is not so important ? still we can over do anything if we are not careful ?

I once belonged on a bowling team ! guys would put smokes down in front of me while they bowled ! i would put them out ! i hated the smell of them ! those guys would hate me ! I just could not stand that smell !

Staff Member
Search me O God
Psalm 139:23

When I was young I attended a brethren fellowship for many years.
It was very strict in all matters.

A dear old man was found to be a smoker.
He was put out of fellowship and ex-communicated by the church and by his family.
There was no love shown, no compassion, no care

It was heartbreaking and tears come to my eyes thinking of that old gentleman

I don't believe that Christians should smoke.
On health grounds I don't believe anyone should smoke, it is a poison that kills
Non-smokers should not have to be exposed to smoke especially children

But it is wrong to so uncompassionately judge someone trapped in the habit

More prayers, more love, more compassion
More support and education

And know my heart
Psalm 139:23

Smoking is slow suicide. This is sin. Spending resources for tobacco products instead of on more productive things is poor stewardship. ($20.00 a packet of 20's here in NZ!!!) Inflicting upon oneself sickness and illhealth is placing an unnecessary burden upon our families, and society in general, costing millions of other peoples dollars in medical care. This is theft. It is sin. There is a cost to this evil habit far beyond being a simple bad smelling nuisance. It is a foul debilitating bondage from hell. Am I being judgmental? Absoliutely!!! And without reservation. First, tobacco companies should be indicted for genocide. Second, governments should be indicted for profiteering from that same genocidal evil. Third, retailers should share some of the blame also. And the victims? No, no judgment upon them. No-one ought to judge those whpo in their weakness succumb to a concerted advertising and peer pressured inflicted addiction. And addiction it is. I know, and I am thankful that God took it away from me 14 years ago, and from my wife, two years ago. And it saddens us both to witness our familiy members who are in the bondage of tobacco, and angers us when we see the pathetic attempts by government as they pay lip service to the anti-smoking lobby by establishing no-smoking legislation for cafes and restaurants and holtels etc but continue to raise the prices through sales tax and rake in the profits.
In our country however it is great to see a great reduction in smoking amomg all age groups. Unfortunately, immigrants are the worst offenders, particulary Asians.
But government should, if they are truly concerned with the health and well-being of its citizens, ban smoking altogether and forbid the imports of all tobacco products and from growing the plants. Tobacco should be classified as a class A drug, and treated as such. It is a killer, and there is no excuse or mitigating factor in favour of it.

My grandfather died when I was around 15 years old. That was now over 30 years ago. I remember him being hooked up to all sorts of machines to help him breath. He was a long time smoker. Where he sat in his favorite recliner there was a tobacco stain on the ceiling from cigarette smoke that drifted up. I thought if it stained the ceiling I wonder what it did to his lungs.

As others said the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and you shouldn't abuse it.

Here is some scripture worth consideration even though it doesn't deal with "smoking" directly.

8 It’s true that we can’t win God’s approval by what we eat. We don’t lose anything if we don’t eat it, and we don’t gain anything if we do.
9 But you must be careful so that your freedom does not cause others with a weaker conscience to stumble.10 For if others see you—with your “superior knowledge”—eating in the temple of an idol, won’t they be encouraged to violate their conscience by eating food that has been offered to an idol?11 So because of your superior knowledge, a weak believer for whom Christ died will be destroyed.12 And when you sin against other believers by encouraging them to do something they believe is wrong, you are sinning against Christ.13 So if what I eat causes another believer to sin, I will never eat meat again as long as I live—for I don’t want to cause another believer to stumble.
1 Cor 8:8-13 (NLT)

May HolySpirit help us all to accept this way of thinking.

We need to stop judging others in so much junk !

Amen and amen.

If you believe God is focused on your flesh, you will focus on flesh management (both yours and others).

If you believe God loves sinners, (you and I) even on your worst day, you will focus on God.

One binds you.

The other frees you.

Where is your focus, beloved friends of God...?

Flesh?

or

God?

I smoke, and I can testify there is a far worse "bondage" than tobacco...or anything else you desire to pop into your mouth or spit out of it.

The veil that covers the face, so you can only see that which is dead, decaying, stinking flesh, instead of seeing that which the LORD sees...is the bondage that needs to be taken away. The LORD has taken care of our sinful flesh with His own blood...and will continue to take care of it...until He comes...all glory to Him!

2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2Co 3:18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

I could care Less if a person smokes or drinks or eat the wrong food or too much or anything about there flesh form ? That not important ! What is important is there Heart [Spirit] He tells us to tell righteously ! as HE DOES !He judges by our spirit not our appearance ! Many are taught in churches to judge others by the type of church or many other things ?

Joh_7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
2Co_5:12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.
2Co_10:7 Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.

But at the same time we are to be examples to others ! Not going to go into this ! It not worth hurting anyones feeling and Not Gods will to knock anyone ! Because it more than likely Not Be sin ? Just like the long hair thing ! That not a sin !
It more important Why we do things than the things we do !
1Th_5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Active
1 Timothy 4:4 For everything God created is good, and nothing should be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
Acts 10:15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

Is tobacco created?
Is cannabis created?

Smoking without thanksgiving would certainly be a problem.

Titus 1:15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

1 Timothy 4:4 For everything God created is good, and nothing should be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
Acts 10:15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

Is tobacco created?
Is cannabis created?

Smoking without thanksgiving would certainly be a problem.

Titus 1:15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

Yeah right. Smoke with thanksgiving, sure. Thankyou Jesus for this marvellous creation that you have so graciously given us that we may suffer and die from cancer and emphysema. Thankyou Lord for the suffering that we may inflict upon ourselves and our families as we go through the pain of an agonising death, bringing you glory and honour. Amen.

On another note. I can see it now. An unsaved person coming to church and thinking, "here is where I might find God. Here is where I may be able to learn about the Jesus everyone is talking about. They say he can heal me from sickness and addictions. Oh look, there is a Christian, she's holding a Bible...and a cigarette? Mmmm. If God can't heal Christians of their addictions to tobacco, then I guess he can't help me with my addiction to gambling and dope. I think I'll go to that new age psychologist down the road."

Search me O God

When I was young I attended a brethren fellowship for many years.
It was very strict in all matters.

A dear old man was found to be a smoker.
He was put out of fellowship and ex-communicated by the church and by his family.
There was no love shown, no compassion, no care

It was heartbreaking and tears come to my eyes thinking of that old gentleman

I don't believe that Christians should smoke.
On health grounds I don't believe anyone should smoke, it is a poison that kills
Non-smokers should not have to be exposed to smoke especially children

But it is wrong to so uncompassionately judge someone trapped in the habit

More prayers, more love, more compassion
More support and education

@Coconut
@spirit1st
@Thiscrosshurts

Quoted the above as you guys seem to think the thread is judging yoo.

That's not the case. Smoking may be considered wong. And danderous to healt (see posts by @dannibear, @Boanerges )
BUt not the smoker who is just trapped in the addiction.

@Coconut. Do you enjoy smoking. Could you stop Is your health affected
How do you interpret the verses about our bodies been a temple.
You are been more judgemental than the people talkin generally about smoking by suggestin they are not living in full liberty that God gives us. Perhaps cos its a sore point for you.

Smoking kills and whether you think you should smoke as a Christian or not. Ur destroying your body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this on another thread bout smoking

From @ eddieb
smoking involves nicotine. nicotine involves addiction. addiction=bondage. bondage is sin.
also smoking is adding impurities to your body, which is HIS temple for HIS spirit

I do think this is right and addiction is bondage.

Status
Not open for further replies.