• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Westboro tells superbowlers to die

Arlington - Westboro Baptist Church members will join the Terrible Towels fans, the Cheeseheads and football fanactics at Cowboys Stadium this weekend to picket Sundays Super Bowl featuring the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers.
The church announced the protest on its website by saying "WBC will cover the Super Bowl with a huge wet blanket! We have no good news! Your destruction is imminent, you reveling, drunken, ******* perverts! You have no money, jobs, homes or hope, but you got your football!"
The Westboro Church group, led by the Rev. Fred Phelps and daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper, have packed their bags, a few adults and handful of small children into their church van for the drive from Topeka, Kansas to Arlington, Texas to bring their bible-thumping, in-your-face style of picketing to the National Football League's Super Bowl pre-game events.
Whether they will get any reaction from the fans who have one thing on their mind, Football, has yet to be seen. Unlike many of Westboro's protest around the nation this one has not drawn the attention of local counter-protesters, seen in past national disaster and events on the news and active on social-media sites like Facebook, organizing the efforts to counter the Phelps family.
A rambling press release by the church offered the following explanation to football fans:

God has blinded your eyes and stopped up your ears so you do not even see or hear your destruction coming upon you, like the world before The Flood! For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. (Mt. 24:38-39.)
You are in this condition because you would not hear or obey your God or His servants He sent to warn you. Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not. Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, my servants shall eat, but ye shall be hungry: behold, my servants shall drink, but ye shall be thirsty: behold, my servants shall rejoice, but ye shall be ashamed: Behold, my servants shall sing for joy of heart, but ye shall cry for sorrow of heart, and shall howl for vexation of spirit. (Isa. 55:12-14.)
Destruction is WBC's prayer for Doomed america!

The Kansas church, known for picketing the funerals of slain military servicemen, political and public figures and even children, choose to blame these deaths on the country's tolerance of homosexuality, may be wasting their time on this cross-cross roadtrip.
This years Super Bowl protest, sponsored by the Westboro Baptist Church, may go down as the first public picketing event of 2011 that goes unnoticed by football fans, allowing the church members to do what most Americans will be doing on Sunday, watching the football game and its halftime show, enjoying their favorite cold beverage and critiquing the commercials.

digitaljournal.com/article/303335

I struggle with this

You say they are a Baptist church.? Does the Baptist church have different denominations? Do all Baptist churches have such a skewed interpretation of the Bible.

If I formed a list of America's sinful acts, I think legalised homosexuality would not even appear on the list. I think there are obviously bigger fish to fry.

They will not be very popular will they. Probably not the best choice for a picket, a footbal game.

Anyway, enjoy the game!

I attend a Baptist Church. The church I attend is nothing like this. The westboro baptist church in my eyes is not much of a church. It seems to me if you want to gather lost people, putting them down and telling them their all damned to hell is not the way to go about it. The bible I read says that Jesus seeked the sick to heal and sat down with the sinners to show them forgiveness. Sometimes I wonder if some churches actually read the Holy Bible.

You say they are a Baptist church.? Does the Baptist church have different denominations? Do all Baptist churches have such a skewed interpretation of the Bible.

To my knowledge, the Baptist church is not tightly organized as are other denominations. It is divided into "conventions", the largest of which is the Southern Baptist Convention. There are also some Baptist churches that are not aligned with any "convention". These are known as Independent Baptist. I suspect that Westboro is part of this latter group.

SLE

The Word Church is Ecclesia in Greek. It is as much about the building as it is to the body of Christ. On the other hand a Church building is built for the purpose God to worship as Jesus chased out the changers.

The Church at whole is the Body of Christ. Westboro is not A Church. They call themselves a Baptist Church, but they act more like a hate cult.

In the September 11th attack they praised God for these again accusing homosexuals as the reason.
Let us look in the Bible the religious group named the Pharisees. In Jesus days the Pharisees was political for one. They fought for the throne of David. They relied on old Scriptures. They were not looking for a new messiah. The Pharisees like Westboro was very harsh to those who broke the laws whether it was the law of God or the law of the land. But Jesus said to them prostitutes and tax collectors will enter the Kingdom of Heaven before you. He compares them as polished tombstones. Jesus says God desires mercy not sacrifice. Your 10 percent tithing but your harshness is unpleasing to God.

Westboro is a modern day Pharisee Church. They are only about judgment and nothing about saving anyone. Where is their love? Because they do not show any love they truly are not any Church as many who have told them they are doing wrong Westboro won’t stop these things. I’m glad I have nothing to do with a group like this. Learn from Westboro. Don’t be like them hateful judging people.

Thanks

Thankyou Spiritled and TechnMiramixxer, now I understand a bit more. A possibly non-aligned baptist church. I have heard of the Southern Baptists incidently.

The reflection of Christ's love seems absent.

I don't think any church is really aligned with this one. I mean, even the Klu Klux Klan (what exists of it today) says they have nothing to do with it and want nothing to do it.

Fred phelps and the "WBC" dont even call themselves Christians...(i think they keep the name baptisit church, so that they arent shut down, and or, harangued by the government...)

They arent Christians OR Baptists.

"I don't mean "he's not a true Christian because he's such a wiener." I mean Fred Phelps does not call himself a Christian:
The Tachmonites believe Phelps is "the last prophet," with the power to determine who will be damned and who will be saved. They themselves, as followers of Phelps, also have the power to condemn souls to hell. Most people are destined for hell, but "Good Samaritans" who help the Tachmonites (for example, police officers who prevent counter-protesters from assaulting them) may be offered an indeterminate "reward" for their good conduct. Apparently "sola fide" is not part of the Tachmonites' creed.

The new scriptures consist of the group's own writings, which are divided into two categories: "delectable epics" and "letters to heretics."

The "delectable epics" (the term is the group's) are based loosely on Acts in the New Testament. The epics detail the Tachmonites' various protests against gays, President Bush, Elton John concerts, and the military and portray the Tachmonites alternately as invincible "super heroes" and defenseless victims of brutal rage. Some of the epics are in prose, and some in poetry.
"

Fred phelps and the "WBC" dont even call themselves Christians...(i think they keep the name baptisit church, so that they arent shut down, and or, harangued by the government...)

I pray that the news media turn off the cameras, turn off the microphones and send their reporters elsewhere whenever WBC pickets anything. We need to stop giving these people a free bully pulpit with which to spread their poison.

SLE

Westboro Baptist Church is a fundementalist Christian organization with members coming from Phelps' own family for the most part. They're the type of people who would claim that a particular disaster was a punishment from God. Also, they're very quick to condemn and have obviously not fully understand His Word

Westboro Baptist Church is a fundementalist Christian organization with members coming from Phelps' own family for the most part. They're the type of people who would claim that a particular disaster was a punishment from God. Also, they're very quick to condemn and have obviously not fully understand His Word

No, they are not Fundementalist Christians. They are evil spirit filled people, who are there to ruin the name of Non-Socialy acceptible Christianity. (which in other words means a comprimising Gospel)

Have you noticed that when These people pop up to ruin the name of Being seperate unto God, that then some sort of "tollerent" Christianity pops up somewhere, Like rick warren, or the like? Not that im sayin people should be intollerent, They should ONLY be intollerent of Sin, especially in themselves(of which pride is the biggest to watch out for...and these people have a truck load of it)

But no, these people are hiding under the banner of Baptist, probably so they arent labled a cult, and harrassed or broken up, or jailed. They call themselves Tachomites...but ya know...you can EASILY look this stuff up, so...

And ALL things come from God, ALL disasters ARE from God, Maybe not directly Cause by his hand...but its To wake people up so they come to repentance. Like the earth quake...it may have been started by HAARP, Probably, these things are probably caused by evil people...but whos controlling the Evil people? Who gave them over to there evil desires? who gave them over to there World domination schemes?

This is a time to actully Get As Close you can to Jesus Christ, and Abide in Christ. Truly...I would say stay away from Football too. Its a distraction to keep your mind, off of Christ, and yourself out of the spirit, its to keep the flesh alive. But we are suposed to DIE to self, adn crucify the flesh right? Jesus tells us too right? And we will be judged by the Words of Christ right?

Anyway, phelps is NOT a Christian. Not even by name. They ARE a cult. Dont let evil people like that, take you away from Getting CLose to Jesus. We NEED to be seperate unto him, we need to forsake ALL to be with him, adn follow him, adn get to truly know him, and Allow HIM to know US. And that means Denying EVERYTHING that would keep you from Gods presence.

These people are ruining the name of seperatists, and peopel who technically are "extremists" But thats what we are called to be right? Jesus said in revelation Becasue you are neither Hot nor Cold, but luke warm i will spirit you out of my mouth. Are you luke warm? Will you be given over to a strong delusion?

Are you sleeping? Check with Jesus. And dont label crazy cult memebers "fundimentalist Christians" without knowing there backround...thats just as un informed/hypocritical and knee jerk responce as Fox news.

Deceived

Here is a quote from Shirley Phelps-Roper:

"You think our job is to win souls to Christ. All we do, by getting in their face and putting these signs in front of them and these plain words, is make what's already in their heart come out of their mouth."

There you have it, let us pass this test from Satan by sticking to what we know is right, such as turning away and doing our best to ignore 'church' people like them.