• Welcome to Talk Jesus

    A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

    Register Log In

were in the bible does it say the the bible is the only word of god?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member
Rev 22:18 I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto them, God shall add unto him the plagues which are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 and if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life, and out of the holy city, which are written in this book.

God bless! :love:
 
Member
2 Timothy 3: 16-17 says that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

God bless
Snowrose
 
Member
I see your question. What comes to my mind is the text that says, "If they speak not according to this word it is because the truth is not in them." I'll try to find the address of that verse and edit this note...good question.

OK here is the text: To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Isaiah 8:19-21

hope that helps
 
Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
Snowrose said:
2 Timothy 3: 16-17 says that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

God bless
Snowrose
Wonderful :smile: Amen. Exact Scripture I thought of.
 
Member
xDICEx said:
... To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Isaiah 8:19-21...
This is about as close as you're gonna get. Jesus told his disciples that all he has said and done for the last 3 years is from the Father, and so the scriptures be fulfilled. He then says the the comforter will come and will speak of Him who was sent by the Father. He will not create a new gospel, and all fulfillment has been done already.

It is only for the Spirit to refer to Jesus, just as Jesus referred to the Father and the scriptures. The fact that Jesus kept a straight and narrow path that God had already laid out, is for the Jews to see that he is the Messiah. The Pharisees kept trying to say that he was not doing the work of the Father and that he was not fulfilling scripture.(testing him) The Holy Spirit must keep that same narrow path so you and I can test what we are being told with something (the word), just as the Jews could test what Jesus said/did with scripture.

You won't find a chapter and verse that says..."this bible is the only word of God", because the bible is not one book. It is many books from many authors, written on several continents, over the course of many years, and amazingly doesn't contradict one word of each other. That is one way we know it is God breathed. At the time that any of these books were written, their was no Bible as we know it. All these books were not bound together in the order we see them today.

God bless,
Nigh
 
Member
I don't believe that the Bible asserts its own exclusivity because it was not written as a book.

The Old Testament is a collection of Hebew writings preserving a record of God's revelation of himself and interaction with the ancient Hebrews.

The New Testament is a collection of stories preserving the God's further revelation of himself and extension of his grace to all humanity.

The Bible is not an answer book, not a science book, not even a history book, nor a theology book, though there is information about those subjects in it.

That is why you will not find any clearly laid out information of any of those subjects in it. For example, you will not find a place where the Trinity is explained. It is a theological construct created from data gathered from the stories in the Bible.

It is simply a collection of stories (true stories), of God's interaction with other people that we also find ourselves in.

There is much truth found outside the Bible, but because we have found ourselves in the Bible, and believe it, we use the Bible to discern what is true and what is not. But remember, truth is available to everyone, Christian or not, and wherever you find something true, Jesus is in it - Jesus is the way, truth and life....

Be blessed and hope this helps.
 
Member
Nigh said:
This is about as close as you're gonna get. Jesus told his disciples that all he has said and done for the last 3 years is from the Father, and so the scriptures be fulfilled. He then says the the comforter will come and will speak of Him who was sent by the Father. He will not create a new gospel, and all fulfillment has been done already.
It is only for the Spirit to refer to Jesus, just as Jesus referred to the Father and the scriptures. The fact that Jesus kept a straight and narrow path that God had already laid out, is for the Jews to see that he is the Messiah. The Pharisees kept trying to say that he was not doing the work of the Father and that he was not fulfilling scripture.(testing him) The Holy Spirit must keep that same narrow path so you and I can test what we are being told with something (the word), just as the Jews could test what Jesus said/did with scripture.
You won't find a chapter and verse that says..."this bible is the only word of God", because the bible is not one book. It is many books from many authors, written on several continents, over the course of many years, and amazingly doesn't contradict one word of each other. That is one way we know it is God breathed. At the time that any of these books were written, their was no Bible as we know it. All these books were not bound together in the order we see them today.
God bless,
Nigh
Amen Nigh, Amen.

Jesus said in John 16:12-15
12*I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13*Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14*He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15*All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The Spirit will give witness to all truth because He is the Spirit of Truth.
 
Member
Richard, I agree with the exception of this.

The Bible is not an answer book, not a science book, not even a history book, nor a theology book, though there is information about those subjects in it
The Bible is an answer book. We have enough Canonized Scripture with the help of the Holy Spirit to discern all things. It's a foundation, anything that doesn't fit with the Bible should be discarded. The Holy Spirit has already bore witness to the canonized scriptures for this purpose. It is a book of principles that express the character of God. I believe that God is always revealing new things, but they will always compliment what He has already revealed.
 
Member
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. " 2 Timothy 3:16, 17

Also in John 17:17 " Sanctify them in the truth, Your word is truth"

What lesley wrote in the reply is also your answer.
 
Administrator
Staff Member
Gideon said:
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. " 2 Timothy 3:16, 17

Also in John 17:17 " Sanctify them in the truth, Your word is truth"

What lesley wrote in the reply is also your answer.
Amen brother. God bless you :smile: Speak Truth always and only Truth
 
Member
Gideon said:
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. " 2 Timothy 3:16, 17
Also in John 17:17 " Sanctify them in the truth, Your word is truth"
What lesley wrote in the reply is also your answer.
Lesley's post
Rev 22:18 I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto them, God shall add unto him the plagues which are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 and if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life, and out of the holy city, which are written in this book.

God bless!
This reference is speaking of the Book of Revelation, The bible as we know it today wasn't even in existance.
 
Member
Snowrose said:
2 Timothy 3: 16-17 says that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
I think this is the right answer for the question above.:star:

{Edit by Jesuslovesu: reason to make quote show up properly}
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Member
It does not say it directly but it does imply it in many places. Here would be some good places to start looking.

John 1:1-4,
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Hope that helps

Tonyb
 
Member
Jiggyfly, that verse may be speaking of revelation, but there is a verse in Deuteronomy that specifically says one should nor add unto or take away anything of the Bible. I'll search for it and post it here. There is no "excuse" in adding anything unto the Bible, or taking away, your place in heaven will be taken away, take head, even if your knowledge undermines you.
 
Member
Deuteronomy 4:2

2"You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32

32"Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do; you shall not add to nor take away from it.

Proverbs 30:6

6 Do not add to His words
Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar.
 
Last edited:
Member
teraside said:
Deuteronomy 4:2
2"You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
Deuteronomy 12:32
32"Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do; you shall not add to nor take away from it.
Proverbs 30:6
6 Do not add to His words
Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar.
Jiggyfly, that verse may be speaking of revelation, but there is a verse in Deuteronomy that specifically says one should nor add unto or take away anything of the Bible. I'll search for it and post it here. There is no "excuse" in adding anything unto the Bible, or taking away, your place in heaven will be taken away, take head, even if your knowledge undermines you.

Moses wrote the first five books ( the Pentateuch) of the the compilation of canonized scriptures that is commonly called the Holy Bible. Moses did not write the Bible It has many writers and one author, the Holy Spirit. If we were to apply the scripture you quoted in Deuteronomy chapter 4 to all scripture than you invalidate the rest of the books that comprise the Holy Bible because they were added at a latter time. This would include all of the Historical books, Poetic books, Major Prophet books, Minor Prophet books,The Four Gospels ( which includes the red letter print), the book of Acts, all of the Epistles and finally the Prophetic book of Revelation.

In a sense you are adding to it when you suggest that it applies to the whole Bible. At the time Moses wrote the Pentateuch the only other scripture was Job. I am very satisfied with the canonized scriptures that make up the Holy Bible, I don't need anything added nor taken out. But neither do I need to usurp scriptures to defend the Bible.
 
Member
Proverbs 30:6

Do not add to His words
Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar.

To insinuate that I am adding to the Word of God by making a statement is totally wrong on your part Jiggyfly. A person deliberetely adds or takes away from the Bible, not due to lack of knowledge. By saying I am adding to the Bible you are judging me and not being Chrislike.

I believe an apology would best resolve this matter.
The point is the Bible is inspired by God. If a person adds or takes away God's word via deleberate actions, that person is undermining God and not fearing God. That person is not wise, just like your statement that I was adding to it. Figure of speech and expression is not adding to the Bible. Not one person in this universe can quote by heart God's meanings and entire Word.

Like the forum rules state, this is not a debate forum, I am not debating with you. I'm saying don't justify the wrongful actions of others by saying that only applies to this book or that book. The whole book is God's words.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads


Top