• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Warning! Do not over evaluate yourself.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

As God’s messenger, I give each of you this warning, be honest in your estimate of yourselves, measuring your value by how much faith God has given you.”

Romans 12:3 NLT

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word warning? Danger is the first thing that comes to my mind. Webster’s dictionary says that to warn means “ to make aware of potential danger.” You may find it hard to believe that over estimating yourself can be dangerous but let me give you an example.

Have you ever seen anyone walk on their hands? With practice you may learn also. You may become very good at walking on your hands but your hands are not engineered to hold up under that kind of pressure like your feet. It’s a lot more difficult to keep your balance, to see where you are going, and if you lose balance there is no way to break your fall. When the hands try to take the place of the feet, they endanger themselves and jeopardize the safety of the whole body. No matter how good you get you still can not obtain a level of performance that compares to that of the feet. I’ve never seen anyone run on their hands.. In order for the body to function efficiently, it is crucial for each body part to know it’s limitations and perform within their boundaries. This is not evident in the body of Christ. I see one, two or maybe three trying to do it all. I don’t think that it is a result of a lack of co-operation from the other body parts either. I believe it’s a result of some not being honest in their self-estimation. This may not be true in every situation, but it is true in the majority of them. Maybe once upon a time it was impressive to see someone walk on their hands, but not anymore. I think it’s boring. I feel the same way when I see the body of Christ and only a selected few trying to do it all. BORING!!! To see an accomplished athlete perform, using the majority of his or her body parts is a very exciting thing to witness. I think the same is true concerning the body of Christ.

Paul said you are to measure your value by how much faith God has given you. We are not to measure our value by comparing ourselves with others. We must know our gift’s limitations. I believe there is way too much overshadowing in the body of Christ. In other words, too much showing off and it needs to stop! The King James version reads not to think more highly of yourself than you ought to think.

So let’s heed the warning. Let’s ask the Holy Spirit to help us obtain a correct estimate of ourselves. Discerning the limitations and boundaries of our gifts, and operate responsibly within them. When we act outside of our gift’s limitations what image does the body of Christ project? How many hands does it have? How many feet? How many heads? Let’s encourage one another to be content with our gifts and not to become jealous of each other’s gifts. When we begin to do this the body of Christ will be something to behold ( to stand in awe and look upon). I believe if we will do as Paul prescribed with the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit, the body of Christ will project the image like a beautiful bride with movements so graceful that it will astound the world.

Last edited:
Soldier of God said:
All glory to God. Let me say dont lose sight of your gifts. We all posses gifts and all gifts are given by the Holy Spirit. 1Cor. 12:4 please dont stop there. 1Cor.chapters 12-13. We all may posses the greatest gift of all, Love. Without this one gift all other gifts are useless.(1Cor.13:8) This is important to all. But our gifts may very, but all may be measured equal. If someone may clean the church spotless on tuesday will the youth minister be more gifted on sunday. A arrogant man may say yes. Now we will speak what this topic is truly about. Prophetic gifts and the like. That is a thin road only walked very carefully. That is a specific gift but not measured against or to outrank another gift. Any arrogance and things that are not Christian have been removed by this Administration glory to God. We must love and teach not try to help others find there status on this alleged totem pole of Christ. There is absolutely no learning value to this post. WE must encourage our gifts, not to be content with them for may we posses only one?. Let me say Jiggyfly, in the recent future you had problems with woman in ministry, tithing and good works, drinking a coke and a nab for communion something that brings many people to tears as to its powerful meaning. I am not quite sure who you are brother? I have no ill will toward you, but I may never understand your position. If we may speak up so others will listen we must convey a proper message. God bless you.
I think you are confused, I don't have a problem with any of the things you mentioned, but maybe you do. I follow God not popular consensus or man's opinion. I preach Christ, not religious institution and if that upsets you, well I'll just pray for you. As far as this article, well maybe you should re-read it, because I think you are misuderstanding it. If you would like to address my position cocerning the tithe or any other subject, grab your bible and contact me on a thread or email, I would be happy to study God's word with you.

You know I did not want to reply to this post because I am not sure what to say here . Both of you men are strong in the Lord , and have helped me allot ! [ sorry jesuslovesyou . but this is mantalk . hold you're ears lol ] Soldier , I understand what Jiggyfly is saying here , and why he is saying it ! I also understand what you are saying in you're response . I don't think that jiggy is trying to hinder anyone here , but rather challenging others to seek the Lord , and mature in all that God has for them , so they will be effective in our family and everywhere else they may go . You on the other hand are saying that all Gods servants are equally important in the body , and should not be limited in anything they do in Christ . This is what true fellowship is all about ! Jiggyfly has given me allot to think about since he has been at T.J. So have you ! Both of you're post actually compliment each others , and become a great teaching tool for all here . Jiggy is saying , check it out first , then go with it ! And you are saying that if you have it , don't just go with it , run with it ! There have been allot of people responding here to others , with arrogance , and opinions . I believe thats what Jiggy is trying to put out there in a nice way . You also have noticed the same things here at talkjesus , and have responded to them also . Both of you are a true blessing to me and T.J. and thats why I did not want to write this response . I need you both ! And both of you have the Holy spirit in you , and much wisdom ! That same Holy Spirit will bring you together , along with me I hope , and we can become a three strand cord ! The bible tells us that a three strand cord is not easily broken ! Peace , and thanks to both my mighty Brothers in God ! Brother Mike

Romans 12:3
(KJV)
3For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.