• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Vice # 3 Gluttony

Administrator
Staff Member
Vice # 3 Gluttony: Not Just Overeating - October 25, 2006

OK, we all know overeating is bad. We hear just how bad it is every time we turn around. We worry about overweight kids, babies, senior citizens, and college kids (girls now, too) with beer guts. Since we're approaching the end of the year where we have almost three months of holidays, perhaps now would be a good time to explore the vice of gluttony. In our current national obsession with the topic of being overweight, it is interesting that in some societies, being very overweight is a symbol of prestige and great wealth. It means you have plenty of food to eat and you don't have to work.

The reason that this vice is so difficult for many of us is that you can't just quit eating "cold turkey," so to speak, like you can cigarettes, alcohol, or even coffee. You have to have some food to live.

My worst time is the hour before dinner, when I get home from work. I've got the munchies, I'm cooking, I'm around food, everything looks good. If I'm not careful, I've actually satisfied my hunger before I ever sit down to dinner and then proceed to eat a full meal.

But gluttony is really about more than just an inability to resist crackers and chips in late afternoon. It is a mindset, really a lifestyle in our North American culture. It makes no sense to have competing headlines screaming from the cover of a single magazine at the grocery store check out: 10 ways to lose weight, accompanied by 10 scrumptious desserts. Yet you see it all the time. These headlines sell magazines. Economics in this day is what drives the wheels of gluttony: advertisers, marketers and retailers all compete to win the consumer and offer more choices, bigger sizes, better tasting. There has always been gluttony, but I think the temptations are more diverse in 2006 than in 1006.

Have you noticed there is no "small" at many modern eateries: you can't order a small or regular coffee at most coffee chains? Something like "grande" is the smallest they have. You can't really order a small serving of fries, either, at the fast food joints. Maybe they call it medium, but it is the smallest they have.

Medieval theologian Thomas Aquinas, in his work Summa Theologia, said of gluttony: "Gluttony denotes, not any desire of eating and drinking, but an inordinate desire ... leaving the order of reason " Gluttony can be not only the food itself, but a gourmet's insistence on expensive, intricately prepared (time consuming) delicacies. Gluttony can be over-exercise, believe it or not. One man said he had become addicted to the runner's high and ran obsessively 2-3 hours a day.

Environmentalists say that the consumption of the earth's resources is gluttony. "Human consumption of energy, forests, and land now far exceeds the rate at which the planet can replenish itself," says John D. Spalding at Beliefnet.com. Spalding prompts another line of thinking about gluttony when he asks, "How many pairs of shoes do you own? How many hours of TV do you watch a week?" I would add, how many hours of video or computer games? How many gallons of gas per mile does your car consume?

Gluttony is the overlooked sin in religion; we are more likely to hear a sermon or public pronouncement on pride, envy or even lust, before overeating. It is too common and too impolite, it might hurt someone's feelings. Some medical conditions and some medications, unfortunately, are often part of the problem. Sedentary jobs are part of the problem. Aging is part of the problem, needing to eat less but not changing our lifestyle.

Which brings us to the only long term cure for gluttony: there is no diet that will work once someone goes off of it. The only thing that works is to change our lifestyles, our ways of eating and dealing with food, developing habits that use less of the earth's resources, striving for balance in exercise, media use, purchases.

The RX for gluttony is plain old self-control, something you can't buy at the store. It comes with hard work. I know these are hard words in a satisfy-me-now culture. But the rewards-the good feelings of self-control, restraint, saving money, saving fuel are like steak instead of cotton candy: they stick with you a long time. Even eternity.

Contributed by Melodie Davis: [email protected] Melodie is the author of eight books and writes a syndicated newspaper column, Another Way

This is a great post and a subject that many people do not want to face and just sweep under the rug. How many church social functions and potlucks are there, sometimes food maybe the deciding factor of whether we attend the function or not. Also we may call gluttony every label we can other than what it really is. There is a fantastic website, called settingcaptivesfree, It is 100% Christian and bible based teaching and its free. It helps people deal with many addictions, including 'overeating'.
Now I am not considerably large, just about 20 pounds over, but I know that sometimes I put food in priority of Christ, meaning I eat for the wrong reasons, to pacify emotions etc, when I should be taking my problem to the Lord. Food can be an idol, just like anything else! And the only way to overcome this problem, is not to do with our will power, or self control, it is about us putting Christ first and His power and His control.

:shade: Calluna

calluna, yes, amen. It's not good at churches when we put food, and the pleasure attached to food---ahead of people. I've seen it happen over and over. I won't go into detail, but I think ministering to kids in the inner city who's parents don't have enough to eat, is more important than the deacons and the deacons wives getting another good steak dinner.

Gluttony is a sin of mine that I'm dealing with now, with the Lord's help and intervention. While I was pregnant, I ate to soothe my tumbled emotions. The doctors told me to gain weight, but they didn't mean for me to double in size!

I have so far, lost 5 pds. in 5 weeks, and I have a ways to go, about 15 more pounds of fat to lose. I feel better already. It is easier for me to dance around the kitchen trying to do new moves. My teenage daughter doesn't admit it, but she enjoys giving me funny looks and criticizing the way I dance. "You're not supposed to slump," she says.

My teenage daughter doesn't admit it, but she enjoys giving me funny looks and criticizing the way I dance. "You're not supposed to slump," she says.

LOL. That is pretty funny :) Kitchen dancing does indeed have posture rules Dreamer :)

I have to wonder if maybe the way I eat candy would be considered gluttony. At least lately, I can't seem to eat enough candy. I loves me some candy, and have my whole life, and that’s probably why 50% of my teeth are fake. I am pretty lucky I got my Fathers metabolism so I can't gain weight even when I try, but unluckily I got his teeth. I think he has about 2 left that are real :D

This post has made me analyze some of my eating habits, and I think it might be pleasing to God if I did cut down on some of the sugar :eek: Overindulgence of candy can't be pleasing to Him. I thank you for this post Chad :D