• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Using the Law before the Gospel?????

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

A while back I was, as you would say, one of those "ask Jesus into your heart" kind of converts. Then I learned about God's Holy Law and God's wrath.
I would say then I really got saved when I understood the Law of God.

Should we:

Use God's Holy Law first before explaining the Gospel so that the unsaved will have a complete understanding of sin, righteousness and judgment and to break the hard heart so it will be humble for the Pearl?

I've heard it explained that not until someone understands that they have a disease will they then want the cure. I wonder if only saying to the unsaved, "Jesus died for you and was risen three days later--so believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Savior" produces false converts.

Last edited:
Yes without a doubt we should use the law.
Jesus communicated the Law all the time, as did the Apostes.
The Law shows us our need for the Savior and that without Him it is impossible for us to be saved.
The Law and Gospel go together, not one with out the other.
The hard part is knowing the right mixture when dealing with an unbeliver.

Galatians 3:1-6
1 Oh, foolish Galatians! What magician has cast an evil spell on you? For you used to see the meaning of Jesus Christ's death as clearly as though I had shown you a signboard with a picture of Christ dying on the cross.
2 Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by keeping the law? Of course not, for the Holy Spirit came upon you only after you believed the message you heard about Christ.
3 Have you lost your senses? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?
4 You have suffered so much for the Good News. Surely it was not in vain, was it? Are you now going to just throw it all away?
5 I ask you again, does God give you the Holy Spirit and work miracles among you because you obey the law of Moses? Of course not! It is because you believe the message you heard about Christ.
6 In the same way, "Abraham believed God, so God declared him righteous because of his faith."

The Law is written on your heart see Jeremiah 31:33.
Without the law we would not know what sin was and what the consequences of that sin were: see Romans 6:23.
Without law there would be no Gospel.

Are we bound by the law no and yes, without Christ we are judged by the letter of the law, with Christ we are judged according to Christs' righteousness. For we have and never will have any of our own.

So when speaking with someone who does not know Christ or understand grace, we need to present the law to them so the Holy Spirit will use it to convict of sin, and then present the Gospel to offer Gods' grace.

The Chruch makes a fatal mistake when they no longer teach/preach law, because we end up with what we have now a bunch of Pseudo-Christians.

We need to know what we are saved from and why there is no way to please God or be right with Him without Christ we need the Savior therefore we need the Law.