• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Unusual dreams

I am somewhat confused and looking for advice from older Christians, if they have ever experienced something similar before.
Every once in a while (3 times that I can remember) I have dreams that are... different. I am not sure how to explain it, but they are completely different from my usual dreams. They stand out like a white puppy, in the midst of 30 black ones. It is these unusual ones that I am hoping to discuss.

The first one occurred when I was 8 years old. My family was coming back from a weekend trip and I fell asleep, to have a dream of walking up to my bird's cage seeing it empty, then looking below and seeing the bird dead. When we got home, it turned out that someone had been there while we were gone. There cage door was open and the bird had gotten out, and unable to get back to the cage for water, had died. Beneath the cage.

The second one was about 4 years ago, when I couldn't decide if I truly wanted to get a dog or not. It was a huge decision for me. After a year or so of praying to God on and off, asking for His opinion, I had an odd dream. I was sitting in a room of puppies and one brown one with a bit of black on his nose climbed into my lap and licked my chin and I heard a voice say, "little black on the nose". Somehow I am positive that this dream was from God, although I can't really say why. The next day my Mother said she was going to the nearby city and asked if I wanted to come to pick out a puppy (this was the first time she ever asked). It felt right in my heart, with no reservations, and I agreed. After a few visits to various shelters, we came to a room with 7 puppies - the same room in my dream. I wandered in and sat down, and a brown puppy with only a little bit of black on his nose clambered into my lap. The rest of the puppies had a lot of black on their muzzles. I took that puppy, and 4 years later I do not regret my decision - he is the best behaved dog people have ever seen. Great with elders, kids, sick and/or disabled people, huge dogs, tiny dogs, and will attempt anything we ask of him.

The third dream was about 6 months ago. I still live at home with Mother, since the cost rent in my location is well over 70% of my monthly wage. I have not found any potential partner who also followed Christ, so I saw no reason to move out, although I thought about it lightly a few times. Who doesn't want a place of their own where they can try to build something up for themselves?
I had a dream where I was standing on the edge of a paved road and looking to the right. There was a small, very old, but tidy mobile home that was beside a large dugout. I somehow knew that it was a place I might someday own. When I saw it, I really, really wanted it, with a strength that I have never wanted anything.
That is where I get confused. I have never seen this place, and I sketched it out for my family (who drive around the county for their work) and they had never seen such a place either. I have never really wanted a house, until that dream; and now, I would only want that specific one. When I look at any other place I see for sale, or any place at all, I have absolute zero interest in even the thought of one day owning one of the other places.
I had the oddest feeling that God sent that dream, although I cannot say why. The same feeling I got as the dream when picking out the puppy.

Sorry for the long winded background (and post).
What are your thoughts on these dreams? Oddly enough, they are the only dreams that I have had that I can remember clearly despite years passing for the first two.

I never really thought about the dreams and why I was receiving them overly much until today. I have thanked God many times for my dog, and for the dream about the house, although I also admitted to Him that I am clueless about what He is trying to get across with the house dream.
I plan to pray to God tonight to see if He would possibly explain why He is sending the dreams to me. I am hoping that you may also pray for me. In the past, when I have asked for "why" explanations He usually takes years before He shows me, and I can look back and see the answer clearly (such as why He guided me to the church I am currently in).
I am glad He is sending them, especially guiding me to the right puppy, but I am somewhat confused as to why I am getting these specific dreams (which seem to only benefit me), and not, say, dreams of someone in need and how I can help them.
Usually, the only miracles or interventions I see are when I am asking God for something that will allow me to help someone else with something, and that something has absolutely no benefit for me. I am also somewhat confused as I would have thought that dreams from God might have more to do with how to help other people.

I am the only Christian in my family, and how He managed to call me is completely beyond me.

What are your thoughts?

Staff Member
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing here.
Sometimes we can overlook the fact that we are precious to the LORD. We can decide that we must have no expectations for ourselves and that the LORD only desires to use us to bless others.

It is evident that He has shown you great kindness. This is because He loves you. Not only does He want you to know His Love for you but we find that we are encouraged and given beautiful landmarks in our life to look back on as well as to remember when encouraging others.
The LORD doesn't stop with giving you pleasant tastes of His Love because His Love Is eternal and will continue, meaning that when we receive from Him, it is for us both personally and entirely and also that we may reciprocate His Love to others.

The dreams you mentioned were set apart from normal dreams and most usually that is a fairly sure sign that it is from the LORD.
As you testify, the one regarding the bird and the one regarding the dog both manifested in your life. The dream regarding the old mobile home beside a large dugout may be more symbolic (and may not be, too!). The reason I say this is that now you are older it may be that you are now more able to meditate on this dream and seek the LORD for understanding/interpretation rather than look everywhere for that particular place?
I am not suggesting the I am right but I encourage you to ask the LORD regarding this and know that both He hears and knows your request and that He will answer you.

And most importantly, wait upon the LORD.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
I have had dreams as well throughout my life that had either spiritual messages from the Lord, and a few with simple events that occurred later. I also have just regular old dreams that are not any more special than the rest of the worlds. These first two seem to be of the nature of simple events that occurred later. I believe these simple dreams that speak of things of the future are simply to get our attention from the Lord to seek His will in our dreams. Dreamers have always had important messages from the Lord in both scriptures and in our lives even today. Pray to the Lord that He would help you to bring to mind any dream of importance and the wisdom to understand the meaning of them. Most the ones I have are for me alone, but there are some that are meant to be shared. Ask God as well for wisdom to know when to share and when to merely ponder the meaning until it seems right in your spirit.

Active
I agree with Brad and Bear but want to add something worth considering.
Just as important as the symbols in a dream is the state of awareness of the particular feeling it produces.
A trailer is really a temporary home somewhere between a house and a tent and your description of the land does not sound that appealing.
But it sounds to me like the vision produces a feeling of peace and well being which seems somewhat independent of the environment.
Your first dream was of something lost and the second of something found.
I don't have an interpretation I just thought I would toss in another factor for your consideration.

Staff Member
Greetings again,

Yes.
I know my first thought went to Hebrews 13:14
For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

from Hebrews 13:12-14
Wherefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered without the gate. Let us go forth therefore unto Him without the camp, bearing His reproach. For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

Bless you ....><>

Active
The Lord definitely uses dreams to speak. No denying that one. He even uses dreams to speak to pagans at times.

I have seen many many people go off into la la land by following after the supernatural, and putting their trust in dreams and experiences, with the assumption they were from God. This is not always the case. The supernatural can very easily turn into the devils play ground, even (more like especially) for well meaning Christians.

When I was involved in the martial arts, it was not uncommon for me to get precognitive dreams or thoughts, to know of things ahead of time I should not otherwise know. Those involved with me had many similar experiences. This is an addictive thing, in that it makes one feel powerful. Once I became aware of the occultism in which the martial arts I was studying were ingrained and separated myself from such, these kind of occurrences stopped. Some people are born into families that have had occult ties one way or another in the past, or present, and these kind of supernatural abilities are a common part of their life. They don't know what it's like to not have such. Such abilities or occurrences will never lead persons to the Lord, only keep them away from Him.

I am not saying your dreams are not from the Lord, I am only saying to be careful and never come to the point that you are relying on your dreams for direction. God is a supernatural God, but not everything that is supernatural is of God.

Blessings,

Travis

Br bear said: The dreams you mentioned were set apart from normal dreams and most usually that is a fairly sure sign that it is from the LORD.

TRUTH BE TOLD replies: No where are we told this....I feel this is bad advice.

When believers in the bible had dreams, these had to do with the kingdom of God and I don't see it with your dreams (IMHO)but, what I do see is your having dreams of events ahead of time and based on what they are about I wouldn't be happy about it myself.

Staff Member
Greetings,

Regarding the following :

Br bear said: The dreams you mentioned were set apart from normal dreams and most usually that is a fairly sure sign that it is from the LORD.

TRUTH BE TOLD replies: No where are we told this....I feel this is bad advice.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Bless you ....><>

Thank you all for your replies.
God has always been extremely gracious to me, providing me with everything I need, and has helped me with almost everything I attempted to do. I am very grateful to Him.

I know that not all dreams come from the Lord. But someone once told me that it may be hard to tell which are from God and which are not. Any thoughts on how to tell them apart?
For some reason, I felt the last 2 dreams were from God. Not sure about the first.
I was also not sure how common dreams from God were. So it is good to know that at least one here has had such dreams. The first dream was admittedly somewhat disturbing, possibly because I was only 8 and because the dream was so clear.

I never thought of the mobile home as possibly being symbolic. It is an interesting angle I never considered. Probably because many people in my location live in mobile homes since actual houses are so expensive up here. I have known for years that I would be unable to afford an actual house on my wage by myself. I will have to think and pray on that a bit.

I did pray some on it already, but all I seem to be getting a feeling of "be patient". Which I can understand, since God works in His own time. I will keep praying to see if He will give me some advice or help me understand what He is trying to tell me.

Loyal
I had a spiritual dream once that included a bunch of trailers, like a trailer park, that was fenced in and christians stood at the gate to the fenced in community. There were some guards to keep unwanted people out, and people stood and talked at the gate. Then a group of other christians, but these are aggressive christians, showed up like a gang of people threatening to take over the community. Fights started breaking out and then a completely armored man, about 7 feet tall with a shield and sword, looking a lot like a crusader, came out from the community and everyone was blinded temporarily then when I/we could see, the aggressive christians had disappeared with the armored man. So here is some teaching to you sir, I have already been given the meaning of this dream, but I let you ponder its meaning, and in a general sense, try to figure out its meaning and let me know, and I will let you know how close you were to accuracy.

Staff Member
Greetings @c_scherer123

Thank you for relaying this back to us.
Please forgive me if I have spoken out of context or otherwise spoken hastily and given misleading advice regarding your questions.

However, regarding His Love and His giving to you that may also touch others and that you wait upon the LORD, I firmly stand by and re-encourage you to always remember.

I see how easily I thought something but due to relying on my own limited understanding, knowing not of what happens in your area, suggest something that may be misleading and quite incorrect. Forgive me please.

This of course should serve as a warning for you too, to likewise not lean upon your own understanding (as I did) but ever to acknowledge the LORD and He shall direct your paths (see Proverbs 3:5-6)

May you know His direction and remain in His Peace.

Bless you ....><>

@ Brad - There were no people in my dream, nor did I hear anything. There were no other buildings or mobile homes in sight. I could clearly see the mobile home and the area it was in.
I too have had my run-ins with extremely aggressive Christians, who often give other Christians a bad name. I am not sure how that relates to my dream.

@ Br. Bear - No offense taken. It can be hard to know the climate and what the norm is in other areas of the world. Your warning is not in vain, that is why I carefully consider all angles and pray to God. I fully suspect that God will show me the meaning one day, in His own time. Thank you for your blessing.

Please keep me in your prayers.

Active
However, regarding His Love and His giving to you that may also touch others and that you wait upon the LORD, I firmly stand by and re-encourage you to always remember.

I see how easily I thought something but due to relying on my own limited understanding, knowing not of what happens in your area, suggest something that may be misleading and quite incorrect. Forgive me please.

This of course should serve as a warning for you too, to likewise not lean upon your own understanding (as I did) but ever to acknowledge the LORD and He shall direct your paths (see Proverbs 3:5-6)
On the other side of the coin we risk quenching the spirit when we feel a need to bring everything down to an earthly understanding.
An important thing is the perception or the state of mind that the dreamer experiences.
In times of trouble I have a state of mind that I enter into that brings much peace and the dreams I have been given give assurance that God
is a tangible real presence operating in my life.
There was a time that I operated by the written word alone,because I wasn't really sure God was real so I always hedged my faith with worldly understanding.
I rarely speak of my experiences with the eternal but without them I would probably still be hedging spiritual faith with logic.

Active
There was a time that I operated by the written word alone,because I wasn't really sure God was real so I always hedged my faith with worldly understanding.
I rarely speak of my experiences with the eternal but without them I would probably still be hedging spiritual faith with logic.
Hi, a few thoughts of mine:

I don't consider the written word to be the least bit worldly. The letter of the law kills, but that doesn't mean the plain meaning of scripture is necessarily the letter of the law.

Logic is not in contradiction to faith. There are some things related to God which are beyond human understanding, but they are not contradictory to sound logic, in that logic can account for the unknown.

Blessings,

Travis

Active
I don't consider the written word to be the least bit worldly. The letter of the law kills, but that doesn't mean the plain meaning of scripture is necessarily the letter of the law.
Good point,I should have said "it was my understanding of the word at that time which had a worldly interpretation".
Sometimes experiences that I initially rejected were pointing me to a deeper understanding of the word.

Logic is not in contradiction to faith. There are some things related to God which are beyond human understanding, but they are not contradictory to sound logic, in that logic can account for the unknown.
I agree,"logic " is relative to many factors as is faith.

Loyal
@ Brad - There were no people in my dream, nor did I hear anything. There were no other buildings or mobile homes in sight. I could clearly see the mobile home and the area it was in.
I too have had my run-ins with extremely aggressive Christians, who often give other Christians a bad name. I am not sure how that relates to my dream.
You wanted to understand dreams "in general", so I was trying to teach you a bit about it with a "dream I had" that I found the meaning of already.

Staff Member
Greetings @c_scherer123

Thank you.
I am 100% in support of you receiving every blessing regarding this from the LORD and much more, the wonderful riches of the knowledge of God in Jesus Christ the Lord.

Yes, I shall endeavor to continue to pray,

Bless you ....><>
P.S. when using the @ tool, do not leave a gap (space) between the @ and the name. Also, if you type @ and then the first few letters of the name, and little pop-up will appear under the name with the name(s) similar to who you're writing to OR as in your case, I type c_sch and your username pops up and I select it. This is quite handy.
If for example you were @ ing Thiscrosshurts, after typing @Thisc, the username should pop-up and you can select it.
So @ c_scherer123 does not make a live link and notification to you but without the space, @c_scherer123 does!
You won't see it as 'live' so it's a matter of trusting what is in place and knowing that because it is so, you can believe it - bless you