• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Two kinds of worship

Loyal
Jesus mentions two kinds of worship....

The bad kind.
Matt 15:7 "You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:
Matt 15:8 'THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS, BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
Matt 15:9 'BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME, TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.'"

..and the good kind.
John 4:23; "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.
John 4:24; "God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

Now for some of us, the difference might be obvious, but for others.... how do you know if your worship is in vain? Here are few other translations.

(AMPC) Uselessly do they worship Me, for they teach as doctrines the commands of men.
(GNB) It is no use for them to worship me, because they teach human rules as though they were my laws!' "
(GW) Their worship of me is pointless, because their teachings are rules made by humans.'"
(MSG) They act like they're worshiping me, but they don't mean it. They just use me as a cover for teaching whatever suits their fancy."
(NIrV) Their worship doesn't mean anything to me. They teach nothing but human rules.'"

Jesus is quoting scripture from Isaiah here.

Isa 29:13; Then the Lord said, "Because this people draw near with their words And honor Me with their lip service, But they remove their hearts far from Me, And their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote,

One of the obvious things here is they worship Jesus... but they don't mean it. Or just are just doing it out habit (rote).. but mostly it seems they are teaching unbiblical things, but claiming these things are from God.

So, I am curious... what are some of the ways people worship God "in vain", and not in truth.

What are some the teachings that some churches teach that are not from God?

What are some examples of worshiping God while their "hearts are far away" from Him?

Loyal
Thank you for this post B-A-C

You ask...
What are some examples of worshipping God while their "hearts are far away" from Him?

You leave me wondering my friend, do we have enough time prior to Christ's Return at the Rapture to create this list?

Bless you my friend.

:smile:

Loyal
So, I am curious... what are some of the ways people worship God "in vain", and not in truth.

people who only pray to be seen by others as righteous

Matthew 6:-34
And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. .

Loyal
People worship in vain when they

Worship false Gods

Worship graven images and when they bow down before them, even look up to them

Worship and take the Lord's Name in vain

Exodus 20:1-7 (NKJV)
1 And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 You shall have no other gods before Me.
4 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

The Catholic church have a graven image of Jesus on the cross (He is Risen). The congregation kneel down and pray looking at the graven image of Christ

Many have a graven image of Christ on the cross on the building or in the church grounds

They have a graven image of Mary in the church grounds by the tomb, Hail Mary! And pray through the heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Scripture says
Luke 1:27-29 (NKJV)
27 ...The virgin's name was Mary.
28 And having come in, the angel said to her, "Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!"

Luke 1:48 (NKJV)
48 For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.

According to scripture... Mary is to be called Blessed by all generations, nothing more. Anything more is not doing God's Word, anything more is taking the Lord's Name in vain.

Active
What are some examples of worshiping God while their "hearts are far away" from Him?

Greetings sir,

I think only God knows those who worship Him but hearts are away from Him, and ourselves too, we know if we are doing it for the Lord.

It is good at times to re assess and pray for our hearts, because that’s what really matters- the reason for all the things that we do. Coz that’s where true joy comes forth.

But regarding to the question.

Some of the examples is when we are in the church, Bible study groups, but our hearts and mind are away from Him, serving but out of obligation and not in love...so much more.

Anything that we will do is an act of worship as long as we do it for Him.

Loyal

The Prosperity Gospel is a twisted message to appeal to the flesh, unless we have great discernment can easily fool us.

there teaching is all about what God can do for us and focuses on material items of this world instead of spiritual maturing.

If you look at the many of the men that teach this stuff and compare there life with people in the bible and also with great Christians who brought the gospel to many and lived out the gospel you will see a great difference.

Solomon was someone we could look at very closely and see where all the wealth and desires of the world got him, he was empty with out God, the book of Ephesians is a great book to study to see what happens when you go after the riches of the world.

Loyal
The appearance of Wisdom in Self made religion(s)

Col 2:23

These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

Exodus 20 (NKJV)
1 And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

The deceiver tempted Eve, she thought a tree would make her wise. False wisdom. Fake wisdom.

Genesis 3:6 (NKJV)
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.

Loyal
Standing in church singing worship songs with no Spirit leading....Singing to enjoy the sound of your own voice..... Teaching partial verses or single verses without seeing the complete thought...gives the wrong message....that's false worship.

Loyal
@Bendito

In every place of worship (called a church) there are a small handful of saved believers, the rest, if not saved are church goers.

Worship comes from the heart, the holy spirit is in the hearts of the saved few, some places of worship more, some even less. When 2 or 3 come together in Jesus Name, he is in the midst of them. They can be blessed.

Many denominations, have set readings, often over a two year period, what I call the cotton wool verses, the nice stories to hopefully fill the pews or seats.

Then comes the sermon, again so often fluffed over, generalised and so often liberalized but rarely expounding the Word.

I see your frustration brother, but we can worship amongst unsaved souls, I do it at the supermarket, singing from the heart for customers salvation, looking at every person I can as I go round in my powerchair, I always let my wife pay LOL but it is so I can continue praying for their salvation and worshipping God, whilst singing from the heart.

Today I have been fishing with the Lord, it is wonderful to sit by a lake, talk and pray with Him, thank Him for every bit of creation I see, if the fish stop biting I ask shall I cast my rod at the other side Lord.

Worship comes from the heart, we can worship anywhere, it is always better with other saved souls, but we can worship on our own.

When someone asks where I worship, I say here, anywhere and everywhere.

I never ask people which church they go to, if they are saved they are part of the One True Church. I would only ever ask where they worship.

Praise the Lord. \o/

Loyal
@Bendito

In every place of worship (called a church) there are a small handful of saved believers, the rest, if not saved are church goers.

Worship comes from the heart, the holy spirit is in the hearts of the saved few, some places of worship more, some even less. When 2 or 3 come together in Jesus Name, he is in the midst of them. They can be blessed.

Many denominations, have set readings, often over a two year period, what I call the cotton wool verses, the nice stories to hopefully fill the pews or seats.

Then comes the sermon, again so often fluffed over, generalised and so often liberalized but rarely expounding the Word.

I see your frustration brother, but we can worship amongst unsaved souls, I do it at the supermarket, singing from the heart for customers salvation, looking at every person I can as I go round in my powerchair, I always let my wife pay LOL but it is so I can continue praying for their salvation and worshipping God, whilst singing from the heart.

Today I have been fishing with the Lord, it is wonderful to sit by a lake, talk and pray with Him, thank Him for every bit of creation I see, if the fish stop biting I ask shall I cast my rod at the other side Lord.

Worship comes from the heart, we can worship anywhere, it is always better with other saved souls, but we can worship on our own.

When someone asks where I worship, I say here, anywhere and everywhere.

I never ask people which church they go to, if they are saved they are part of the One True Church. I would only ever ask where they worship.

Praise the Lord. \o/
Thumbs up brother....both of them

Loyal
Thank you guys. I go fishing because I like it but am restricted and need help setting up and putting away, but I am blessed, the Lord provided.

The main reason for fishing is relaxation for my body. I have been through so much I can never truly relax. I am at peace with the Lord, but my body doesnt know how to relax.

The main reason for this post is a word of warning following our conversation regarding worshipping anywhere. If Jesus is in our heart and we are saved yes we can worship anywhere. But, I know many people who think why go to church, God is everywhere, we can see His work in creation, in the country etc. We can that is true but without Jesus they are still lost souls.

Loyal
Thank you guys. I go fishing because I like it but am restricted and need help setting up and putting away, but I am blessed, the Lord provided.

The main reason for fishing is relaxation for my body. I have been through so much I can never truly relax. I am at peace with the Lord, but my body doesnt know how to relax.

The main reason for this post is a word of warning following our conversation regarding worshipping anywhere. If Jesus is in our heart and we are saved yes we can worship anywhere. But, I know many people who think why go to church, God is everywhere, we can see His work in creation, in the country etc. We can that is true but without Jesus they are still lost souls.
I go fishing because I love it too. I've gone fishing since I was two...Of course, I've needed help then, and I need help eating my catch now. Good fishing Paul.

Loyal
Lip service is so common

How many pray The Lord's Prayer saying it with the lips from memory not the heart and don't know everything they are praying?

How many pray from pre printed sheets and it comes only from their lips?

Isaiah 29:13 (NKJV)
13 Therefore the LORD said: "Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths And honor Me with their lips, But have removed their hearts far from Me, And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men,

Matthew 15:7-9 (NKJV)
7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:
8 'These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' "

Loyal
I go fishing because I love it too. I've gone fishing since I was two...Of course, I've needed help then, and I need help eating my catch now. Good fishing Paul.

When I was a kid I did kids stuff, now I am olderrrrrrrr I put away kids stuff, LOL that was not what I was going to say.

When I was in my teens I used to do sea fishing, later in life, about thirty years ago I started coarse fishing, but as my disability has worsened I have had to keep adjusting downwards. I liked the carp, but enjoyed the river as well as lakes, then I couldn't get to the river so stuck to lakes, but as things have worsened I now fish lakes with fish to 8lb as I cannot lift them, also I am blessed I found a local fishery, disabled friendly, and the guy helps me set up and put away.

Never give up in this life, just adjust.

I don't each the fish I catch, I just treat them well, give em a kiss and put them back, saying this ones for you Lord :smile:

There is a better life coming, it is just down that narrow road, with that narrow gate. Praise the Lord

I see you are 72... I mean 70 too brother.:grin:Age is just a number.

Loyal
When I was a kid I did kids stuff, now I am olderrrrrrrr I put away kids stuff, LOL that was not what I was going to say.

When I was in my teens I used to do sea fishing, later in life, about thirty years ago I started coarse fishing, but as my disability has worsened I have had to keep adjusting downwards. I liked the carp, but enjoyed the river as well as lakes, then I couldn't get to the river so stuck to lakes, but as things have worsened I now fish lakes with fish to 8lb as I cannot lift them, also I am blessed I found a local fishery, disabled friendly, and the guy helps me set up and put away.

Never give up in this life, just adjust.

I don't each the fish I catch, I just treat them well, give em a kiss and put them back, saying this ones for you Lord :smile:

There is a better life coming, it is just down that narrow road, with that narrow gate. Praise the Lord

I see you are 72... I mean 70 too brother.:grin:Age is just a number.
I love your attitude...Never quit, never give up...I, personally, do not hold with catch and release, but thats a personal choice I guess....I love to hunt, though I have not been able to for a while, for a few reasons, but to me catch and release is the same thing as going hunting and practicing shoot and release. My family has a long line of trappers hunters and the like. Woodsmen if you will. So I was trained from almost birth to only take an animal to eat it, fish or moose, or bear. If you don't want to eat it, leave it alone. No judgment on my part for other beliefs.
LOL I am 72 or will be in August. I feel like a young man trapped in a worn out body. But just for kicks I'm going to try scuba this summer and see if I can still do that at least.

Loyal
I love your attitude...Never quit, never give up...I, personally, do not hold with catch and release, but thats a personal choice I guess....I love to hunt, though I have not been able to for a while, for a few reasons, but to me catch and release is the same thing as going hunting and practicing shoot and release. My family has a long line of trappers hunters and the like. Woodsmen if you will. So I was trained from almost birth to only take an animal to eat it, fish or moose, or bear. If you don't want to eat it, leave it alone. No judgment on my part for other beliefs.
LOL I am 72 or will be in August. I feel like a young man trapped in a worn out body. But just for kicks I'm going to try scuba this summer and see if I can still do that at least.

Thank you brother, I have not had a good life, I have almost died twice and also got very close to hanging myself, very close, if my wife had not cottoned on when she did I would not be here now. But time and time again, like a skittle gets knocked over, you get up, adjust and fight on. In life I have seen Christians and lost souls, who have had a good life and when things change they fall apart. There is a lot to be said for going through things, we come out of the other end stronger.

To God be the Glory.

If you are still bale to do things in life then do them, if you can't adjust to the level you can do some things, maybe not as you did, just adjust and keep moving forward. The moment we stop moving forward in faith or anything else, we have already started to move backwards.

Rejoice and give thanks, no matter what you are experiencing or suffering, if you can rejoice when you are down just think how much more you can rejoice when you are up.

Bless you my friend.

B-A-C so sorry brother for chatting of topic in your thread

Back on topic.

Loyal
So many Christians think Christianity is a separate religion. So many are taught this!

So many Christians hate the Jews

John 4:22 (NKJV)
22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.

Romans 1:16-17 (NKJV)
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

Not accepting All God's Word, not accepting salvation is of the Jews, not accepting we should consider the Jews first is Against God's Word.

These add to the teachings which are against God's Word

Loyal
Dear brother

Here we have another scripture verse regarding the worship of graven images.
This verse doesn't just state it is wrong to worship graven images as previous verses do, this verse makes it clear it is wrong to think of such things.

Acts 17:28-30 (NKJV)
29 Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man's devising.
30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,

God leaves a door open for repentance.

Let Him who has ears hear...