• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Trusting God

2 Corinthians 1:8-10 "For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: but we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead: who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver." (KJV)

I read this this morning and just wanted to share a little bit. The contrast in these verses is with trusting God. These circumstances came about that their trust in God might deepen, and that they in turn might be able to comfort others. God is in the business of raising the dead. So if you feel like your situation in life is so overwhelming you'd rather be dead, try hard to turn your eyes to the Lord by faith, believing, that you might receive strength. To borrow a line from an old Christian chorus, "When the power of darkness comes in like a flood, the battle belongs to the Lord." Remember that He is the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort. When we trust in God, we're not relying upon ourselves and our own strength, but on Him. This then builds our faith, and we're not left feeling swallowed up by our circumstances, hopeless and full of despair.

I think it's important to realize that although we don't think of it this way, suffering is a mercy of God. So if it comes to us, we should allow it. The passage teaches that Christians do experience suffering in this world. One thing suffering does is draw us closer to God and further away from the world. Often times when things go smoothly, we're apt to compromise with the world. Suffering prevents this. God has a purpose in the suffering. I write these words as much to myself as to anyone who reads them.

Lastly, I just wanted to share this poem by Alice Hansche Mortenson. It's called "I Needed The Quiet"

I needed the quiet so He drew me aside,
Into the shadows where we could confide.

Away from the bustle where all the day long
I hurried and worried when active and strong.

I needed the quiet though at first I rebelled.
But gently, so gently, my cross He upheld,

And whispered so sweetly of spiritual things.
Though weakened in body, my spirit took wings

To heights never dreamed of when active and gay.
He loved me so greatly He drew me away.

I needed the quiet. No prison my bed,
but a beautiful valley of blessings instead --

A place to grow richer in Jesus to hide.
I needed the quiet so He drew me aside.