• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

True Riches

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Therefore I love Your commandments More than gold, yes, than fine gold! Psalm 119:127

The Old Testament's first three Wisdom books affirm the exceedingly great value of divinely revealed truths.

Job offers a full chapter. In the closing verse, Job says, "And to man He said, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding'" (job 28:28).

Psalms has three verses. The first says, "They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even the drippings from a honeycomb" (19:10 GW). The second says, "The teachings that come from [God's] mouth are worth more to me than thousands in gold or silver" (119:72 GW). And the third is quoted at the top of this page.

Proverbs offers five verses. See if you can catch the pattern that emerges. The first says: "Wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold" (Proverbs 3:14 NLT). The second says: "Choose [Wisdom's] instruction rather than silver, and knowledge rather than pure gold" (8:10 NLT). The third: "[Wisdom's] gifts are better than gold, even the purest gold, my wages better than sterling silver!" (8:19 NLT). The fourth: "How much better to get wisdom than gold, and good judgment than silver!" (16:16 NLT). And fifth: "Wise words are more valuable than much gold and many rubies" (20:15 NLT).

Prayer: Lord, I fear You and want the true riches You give.