• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

True Love

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
True Love

If someone asked me to describe God, (who is Love, (1 John 4:8)) to whom my heart belongs, I would have to refer them to these scriptures...

1Co 13:4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
1Co 13:5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
1Co 13:6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.
1Co 13:7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8 Love never ends....... (ESV)

These are NOT actions that we are suppose to emulate, this is the PERFECT DESCRIPTION of a PERSON who happens to be the God of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and the God of the Bible. These are the actions God himself who works through his body, which is his Church. All of God's children should expect to experience these in their lives as God loves others through us. We could not possibly copy them on our own, but many try to do this very thing!!!

As with anything that is true, there is also a false that looks exactly like the true!!

The Lord said to me several years ago, and this is so true...

“It is POSSIBLE for a man to have WORKS WITHOUT FAITH, but it is IMPOSSIBLE for a man to have FAITH WITHOUT WORKS”

Not only is this true concerning faith, it is also true concerning love!!

It is POSSIBLE for a man to have the works of love WITHOUT HAVING LOVE (God), but it is IMPOSSIBLE for a man to have LOVE (God) WITHOUT WORKS !!!

When I see the word “LOVE” in the new testament I always see it as saying “GOD”, because God is love. (1 John 4:8) It is also very interesting that FAITH works by LOVE, (Gal 5: 6) so both faith, and love are connected together, and work together!!

As it has been said by Jesus....

John 15:13 GREATER LOVE HAS NO ONE THAN THIS, THAT SOMEONE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.

All men, and women have a human kind of love, but not all men, and women have the God kind of love living inside them. Human love comes from our human nature within us. This kind of love can and does show acts of kindness to its fellow man, and it will love always as long as it gets something in return. Once someone stop's loving back in return, that person will stop loving back. In other words our human kind of love is selfish in nature, and only wants something in return for what it gives!! A person can lay down their life, and give everything they have to another, but it always wants something back in return for their sacrifice.

Suicide bombers who claim their allegiance to their false god(s) are a perfect example to this kind of bankrupt love, that is only fleshly in nature. They sacrifice themselves, and their goods believing they will get 70 virgins in heaven, and be made a martyr for whom people will look up to as being great. Maybe even a statue would be erected in their honor for many to stand in awe of.

As it is written......

1Co 13:3 IF I GIVE AWAY ALL I HAVE, AND IF I DELIVER UP MY BODY TO BE BURNED, BUT HAVE NOT LOVE (God), I GAIN NOTHING. (ESV)

It is not unusual for a person to give away every thing they own, or even lay down their life, but if they do not have “LOVE” (God) they do so in vain, and they profit nothing!!! This is the FALSE LOVE” that looks just like the TRUE LOVE of God himself!! The main difference is that God himself, who is love, flows through his Church, without the Church having to try and copy it. The false love works so as to get get something back in return, were God loves expecting nothing in return. Loving a person just because they are a another human being created In the image of God, is the God kind of love. Loving a person to get something back is demonic in every way. As Jesus once said.....

Luke 6:31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.
Luke 6:32 "IF YOU LOVE THOSE WHO LOVE YOU, WHAT BENEFIT IS THAT TO YOU? For even sinners love those who love them.

How can we know we have the true love, that is God himself? There are two ways we know we are the children of God, and that God (Love) lives inside us.

Rom 8:16 THE SPIRIT HIMSELF BEARS WITNESS WITH OUR SPIRIT THAT WE ARE CHILDREN OF GOD,

1John 3:14 We KNOW that we have passed out of death into life, BECAUSE WE LOVE THE BROTHERS. Whoever does not love abides in death.

1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1 John 4:8 HE THAT LOVETH NOT KNOWETH NOT GOD; FOR GOD IS LOVE.

Active
Certainly if we love God we must love what He loves and as He loves; but lest we forget, if we love God we must also hate what He hates such as pride, arrogance, putting away, and all sin; for this is the very same God that is love; who also tells us to love not the world, neither the things in the world: Yes indeed God is love as the scripture concludes, but our God is also a consuming fire as well, whom we must love and fear [reverence, awe].
(Hebrews 12:29)
(1 John 2:15-17)
(Malachi 2:16)
(Proverbs 8:13)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alan McDougall Questions about Christianity 4
W Bible Discussions 0
Curtis Devotionals 0