• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Transformation isn’t up to you

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
But I will come--and soon--if the Lord lets me, and then I'll find out whether these arrogant people just give pretentious speeches or whether they really have God's power. For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk; it is living by God's power. 1 Corinthians 4:19-20

Division and discord among Christians is nothing new, but perhaps Paul’s approach to resolving it may surprise you. When facing a divisive and contentious church, Paul reminded them that their words held very little power for spiritual transformation. Whether relying on your own words or the teachings of others, the true power of God’s kingdom is in the way His power takes hold in you.

Even your best attempts at encouragement may well fall flat if you aren’t empowered by God. This puts the responsibility for your spiritual transformation on Him, so the pressure is off you.

You can’t make people change and you can’t change yourself. You can only submit to the power of God, and that process of surrender and submission will feel like a lot of work at times! However, the end result of seeking God’s direction and influence is that you’ll change into the kind of person who has something worthwhile to share with others.

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Greetings,

thank you for sharing this Nick.
That translation puts it in a way that spells it out quite well.

'I was thinking' along the same sort of lines earlier today but from other Scripture. If i may...?

For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
1Corinthians 3:9-15

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
@Br. Bear
Interesting Brother, and thanks for sharing. Not to divert from the devotional, but what you quoted brings to mind what has been a discussion here lately over many threads. "Perfection/Sin" :wink:

I mean looking at the verses 1 Corinthians 3:9-15 isn't it possible that works which do not abide can be seen as those that are not in accord with God's will for us, and so sinful in someway? Yet as it states, "...but himself shall be saved" even though it appears it might be painful.

Thoughts?

Side note: However, in truth I'd almost desire that this be between you and me to contemplate, knowing that it would be a healthy and uplifting discussion without rancor. Still, maybe we can keep a tight rein upon those that join us, if join us they do. :smile:

Love you Dear Brother.
With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Thoughts?
me thinks you might be closer than you realise....
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

and, the Lord knows what He is doing even if we don't.
When I had been 'thinking' about that passage, it was completely without realisation that it was prior to the next verse or two regarding the Temple, about which i wrote on a reply on another thread. When i posted it here, I then realised that they were related, strongly and inseparably and then gave thanks to the Lord that He provided. I also had wanted to share that passage I quoted here in reply to your OP but did not know where to do so... and as you know, things do get a little busy here and i forgot all about it, until i read your devotional... so... I am assured and encouraged by God that He is in control.

It has been a little hard for most, so far, but guess what.. a woman in travail gets it pretty hard but she looks forward to the arrival of her son (or daughter). If we could all press on with that in mind, that our trials of not only our body but also our faith and our minds will one day bring forth fruit from the womb which only God has planted in. (reminded of soul, mind and strength)

I used to think about how I/we had a new born life in us when we become Christians and how we had to nurture it as a mother would a baby. Some women get it hard in labour, some, the little one pops right out, but all go through that labour... and it is this labour we need to remember that it is not in vain and that we must encourage one another in.. in love, knowing it is Godly seed we carry.

Bless you Nick ....><>

Loyal
Greetings,

thank you for sharing this Nick.
That translation puts it in a way that spells it out quite well.

'I was thinking' along the same sort of lines earlier today but from other Scripture. If i may...?

For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
1Corinthians 3:9-15

Bless you ....><>
The key to your cited verse is having the right foundation. Without the right foundation then it matters not what we use for building materials. The foundation is: Jesus Christ.

Staff Member
me thinks you might be closer than you realise....
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

and, the Lord knows what He is doing even if we don't.
Dear Brother,
I am glad that it won't be by my strength that I would lift you up my brother or we'd find ourselves both on the ground (bad back) :smile:
Love you Brother!

Also, love your analogy of childbirth, and have to say if it was man instead of woman giving birth. Mankind would have died out a long time since! I do believe we would not have dealt with the pain or the easy "popping out" if you will, at least not as valiantly as women do!

God bless you as well dear brother!
With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sue J Love Bible Discussions 5
B-A-C Devotionals 3
Christ4Ever Devotionals 2