• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Tower of Babel

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
I've been reading all around this subject in the last year or so....Now if I may I'll challenge you to see how far I've strayed from the traditional teachings concerning this thing.
First They wanted to build a tower that reached into the heavens, yet used sun baked clay bricks....How high could this tower have been?
God came and checked on what they were doing and confused the people of Nimrod by giving them different languages...Stopping the building and scattering the people.
The people scattered to the four corners of the earth, does that mean they crossed the oceans too, or did they just walk to the four corners?

How did God destroy the tower? Or did He?

I'll add more as the discussion goes along...providing anyone finds his interesting.....Hugs on ya

An interesting story that makes you think, if was too high the builders would be coming down quick saying

"I can't catch my breath up there."

Loyal
An interesting story that makes you think, if was too high the builders would be coming down quick saying

"I can't catch my breath up there."
The world's tallest artificial structure is the 829.8 m (2,722 ft) tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

I used to work in a mine at 7500 feet. There were some who could not work at that altitude..
LOL My top was not in the heavens

So Do you think God stopped them because of the height of the tower? Or for another reason....The tower in Dubai I mentioned above was not hindered by God.....

"Then they said to one another,
“Come, let us make

bricks and bake them thoroughly.”
They had brick for stone, and they
had asphalt for mortar. And they
said, “Come, let us build ourselves
a city, and a tower whose top is in
the heavens; let us make a name for
ourselves, lest we be scattered
abroad over the face of the whole
earth."

What did they mean when they said "a tower whose top is in the heavens? Even the tower in Dubai does not reach into the heavens....

Loyal
I believe that people had built the tower as a symbol of group pride, and to help promote people staying around the location, to have one nation with one leader (not a good idea imo). God changed languages of the people, and people realized that they could only communicate with certain others, and since they couldn't be part of the original group with the current barrier, they moved with like tounged people, to the four corners of the earth. And perhaps I am mistaken, but I believe this was before the great flood, when there may have well been only Pangea.

Loyal
I believe that people had built the tower as a symbol of group pride, and to help promote people staying around the location, to have one nation with one leader (not a good idea imo). God changed languages of the people, and people realized that they could only communicate with certain others, and since they couldn't be part of the original group with the current barrier, they moved with like tounged people, to the four corners of the earth. And perhaps I am mistaken, but I believe this was before the great flood, when there may have well been only Pangea.
Ya Good thoughts Brad....But! The tower incident was after the flood...I agree with you that all the continents were one land mass, Pangaea...There was a man named Peleg living at that time and the bible mentions him, I think, only once, "It was in the days of Peleg that the Earth was divided....Can you imagine the Earth splitting and the continents sliding long distances in a matter of hours. Wow! North America breaks off and slides west almost three thousand miles in a matter of hours! Australia falling down to near the bottom of the globe, causing all those poor people to walk upside down, lol... It seems impossible in light of the teaching we received in school... When Mount Saint Helen erupted on May 18, 1980, geologists were amazed at the canyons that were created literally overnight in the wake of the explosion. Entire areas were changed and from the geologists’ perspective these changes should have taken millions of years, and yet they were done almost overnight by one volcano! So yes...It's not impossible at all.
Let me ask you here, Nimrod wanted to build a tower that reached INTO the heavens....Which heavens?
The Bible indicates that there are three heavens. The first heaven consists of the earth’s atmosphere where the clouds and birds are. The second heaven is where the sun, stars, and moon are. I would also include the known and unknown universe, complete with wormholes and a multitude of galaxies. The third heaven is the dwelling place of God. Do you think it's possible that Nimrod was trying to open a doorway to the gods (small g), could it be that he was trying to open a dimensional doorway to open communications with the fallen ones again?

Loyal
Merely personal thoughts on this think that early man seen God as in the visible sky, and that if they built high enough, they could reach the location of God, and be "like" Gods, and I think it was merely earthly thinking, not a stargate SG1 situation (If you understand the reference). Yet I don't really know the technology level at the time, and it may have well been much higher than assumed, and perhaps some tech leftover from fallen angels, so anything could have been possible.

Loyal
Merely personal thoughts on this think that early man seen God as in the visible sky, and that if they built high enough, they could reach the location of God, and be "like" Gods, and I think it was merely earthly thinking, not a stargate SG1 situation (If you understand the reference). Yet I don't really know the technology level at the time, and it may have well been much higher than assumed, and perhaps some tech leftover from fallen angels, so anything could have been possible.
They were able to open portals into the heavens at that time... they were taught how by the fallen ones...By the time they were at the upper levels of the tower they were already communing with nephilim... Another thing is where Nimrod became a mighty man, the word is gibbowr through the use of spells and magic.. Sounds far fetched right? No such thing as magic right? Are you sure?

Loyal
I am of course not sure. Just not sure of any theory being better than others. Just not enough data on the subject that is from a trusted source.

Loyal
I am of course not sure. Just not sure of any theory being better than others. Just not enough data on the subject that is from a trusted source.
LOL That is certainly true if one looks on Youtube...The bible endorses a history book called "The Book of Jasher" A few other old history books speak of it as well.

Loyal
LOL That is certainly true if one looks on Youtube...The bible endorses a history book called "The Book of Jasher" A few other old history books speak of it as well.
Correct me if I am wrong, but how do you know the said script is indeed "The Book of Jasher"? Its easy enough to fake something, if you have money and access to forgers.

Loyal
As we should already know there is only one way to God. Men, however, have over the centuries invented their own ways which supposedly are intended to lead men to God.

The tower of Babel as well as the city of Babylon were places built by men. Both of them translate into the English word, "confusion" and men continue today to build their places of confusion, sometimes even calling them "churches" but...

"... God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." I Cor 14:33

Loyal
Correct me if I am wrong, but how do you know the said script is indeed "The Book of Jasher"? Its easy enough to fake something, if you have money and access to forgers.
Why would anyone fake such a book? The book is thousands of years old, why would anyone go to the trouble of faking a book, such an obscure book when so few even read it anymore? That is too farfetched...I could ask you...how do we know our bible is not faked? We simply trust that it is not. That's all one can do

Loyal
There is no 1000's of years old Book of Jasher that I know of. There is copies of the O.T. and the book of giants, and the book of Enoch, which were found in the dead sea scrolls, which were a bit over 2000 years old. And there are very old copies of the new testament, and even older parts of it. They have a history that go back far and traceable. I looked and the earliest book of Jasher came out in 1625, which was copied from where? Oral history, or another copy that cant be located, and others found fault with it at the time. I just don't see the history as solid as other books. But I am interested enough that I will probably read it, and see if the Holy Spirit leaps for joy in reading it or not.

Loyal
There is no 1000's of years old Book of Jasher that I know of. There is copies of the O.T. and the book of giants, and the book of Enoch, which were found in the dead sea scrolls, which were a bit over 2000 years old. And there are very old copies of the new testament, and even older parts of it. They have a history that go back far and traceable. I looked and the earliest book of Jasher came out in 1625, which was copied from where? Oral history, or another copy that cant be located, and others found fault with it at the time. I just don't see the history as solid as other books. But I am interested enough that I will probably read it, and see if the Holy Spirit leaps for joy in reading it or not.
LOL Brad I believe that when God said that we are a peculiar people, He meant more than just 'special'.....Do you think books are a recent thing? I know you don't...You know that books are as old as man... Book of Jasher?

Joshua 10:13
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
2 Samuel 1:18
(Also he bade them teach the children of Judah the use of the bow: behold, it is written in the book of Jasher.)

I just know that you know that Joshua and Samuel lived before the 1600's Right?

I think I was 'amiss' in bringing up this subject...why? Many many Christians will not even look at something that is not mentioned in the bible.

Don't believe in the rapture because the bible does not use the word.....It uses the phrase 'catch up' or 'caught up'

The bible does not use the word 'trinity' but it talks of Father Son and Holy Spirit. It talks of how the father took a body and came to die for us, then left His Holy Spirit with us when He returned to heaven... Strange.....You can say truthfully...Though I am here in my home in the United States, I am with you in spirit in Australia....You can be! Yet we Christians cannot conceive of God doing that? Peculiar isn't it? And Yes! The trinity is mentioned many times in the bible...

Bereshis 1:1 (Genesis 1:1)
In the beginning Elohim created hashomayim (the heavens, Himel) and haaretz (the earth).

Look at the name Elohim......It's plural!!

Did you know that Moses had a book of the covenant that God made with His people?

I really regret bringing up the subject of the tower...Should we let it drop?

Loyal
Oh, I certainly believe that a Book of Jasher existed, just not sure that its the same as what you see today. As I said though, I intend on reading it.