• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Total Faith?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:9)

Loyal
2Chron 16:12; In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa became diseased in his feet. His disease was severe, yet even in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but the physicians.

(Thanks to @Christ4Ever for this reference, I had been looking for it, but I forgot about it)

Now before I say anything here... I have to confess... I usually go to the clinic, the doctors office whenever I have something wrong with me. I do take prescription pills.
... but I wonder.... is it because of a lack of faith on my part? Now maybe going to the doctor isn't a "sin" per se. But on the other hand is not trusting God a sin?

Prov 3:5; Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.

We all know and quote verses like this. But then we turn around and put our trust in man, in medicine made by man. The verse above says "trust".. with "all" your heart.
Many Christians today say they want to see God do miracles, and miraculous healings... but then they go to the doctor "just in case". Just in case... in case of what? In case God can't do what He says He can?

I am reminded of a Christian movie I saw a couple of years ago. It was called "The War Room". It was about a prayer closet.
There was a scene in the movie where a couple of men had to drive somewhere, but their car refused to start. It seems they tried to start it of 3 or 4 different occasions, but it would never start.
Finally one of the men said, lets put our suitcases in the trunk. The other man looked at him like he was crazy... but he put them in the trunk, they prayed... and the car did start.
Now maybe that's a movie... easy to make a car not start in a movie... but I think the principle here is for our lives. How many of us are like the second man... when it comes to trusting God..
we think "it's crazy".

We pray for rain, but we don't put on a raincoat or buy an umbrella. We .."say".. we have faith.. but do we? Do we really? Or maybe it's just a "half-faith"... I kind of trust God, but I'm still going to go to the doctor... "just in case".

Matt 13:58; And He did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief.

Loyal
since we are talking about faith and what we can get from it sort of, I listen to a great sermon today that was talking about faith and the pastor said

"real faith is what you give up, not what you get"

People may say not to go to the Doctors if you have real faith, yet is not God the one who gave us doctors, God gives us all things, I think its ok to use them and we give him thanks for the medicine, the issue I see is when people take credit for the medicine that healed them and dont give God the credit for the medicine, on the other hand people start to worship and be obssed with things instead of God.

Active
2Chron 16:12; In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa became diseased in his feet. His disease was severe, yet even in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but the physicians.

(Thanks to @Christ4Ever for this reference, I had been looking for it, but I forgot about it)

Now before I say anything here... I have to confess... I usually go to the clinic, the doctors office whenever I have something wrong with me. I do take prescription pills.
... but I wonder.... is it because of a lack of faith on my part? Now maybe going to the doctor isn't a "sin" per se. But on the other hand is not trusting God a sin?

Prov 3:5; Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.

We all know and quote verses like this. But then we turn around and put our trust in man, in medicine made by man. The verse above says "trust".. with "all" your heart.
Many Christians today say they want to see God do miracles, and miraculous healings... but then they go to the doctor "just in case". Just in case... in case of what? In case God can't do what He says He can?

I am reminded of a Christian movie I saw a couple of years ago. It was called "The War Room". It was about a prayer closet.
There was a scene in the movie where a couple of men had to drive somewhere, but their car refused to start. It seems they tried to start it of 3 or 4 different occasions, but it would never start.
Finally one of the men said, lets put our suitcases in the trunk. The other man looked at him like he was crazy... but he put them in the trunk, they prayed... and the car did start.
Now maybe that's a movie... easy to make a car not start in a movie... but I think the principle here is for our lives. How many of us are like the second man... when it comes to trusting God..
we think "it's crazy".

We pray for rain, but we don't put on a raincoat or buy an umbrella. We .."say".. we have faith.. but do we? Do we really? Or maybe it's just a "half-faith"... I kind of trust God, but I'm still going to go to the doctor... "just in case".

Matt 13:58; And He did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief.
Schooled, trained and otherwise accomplished Physicians are a gift from God...pray that they do well!